Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Antique & Collectibles (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/antique-collectibles/)
-   -   Lexan Replacement windshield (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/antique-collectibles/112891-lexan-replacement-windshield.html)

saltshaker 10-11-2011 06:26 PM

Lexan Replacement windshield

Anyone use a Lexan replacement windshield from "Fast "Freddie's"?
Jon

jhv48 10-11-2011 06:51 PM

Go over to the FFR forum and do a search.

Plenty of feedback.

fordracing65 10-11-2011 07:35 PM

Yes, they are awesome, real glass is so expensive to replace for just a simple rock chip, im surprised more people dont use lexan, plus the lexan these days is so much better than the windows of the past.

saltshaker 10-11-2011 08:10 PM

Did you install one in your cobra and did you have to modified it to fit the frame?
Jon

fordracing65 10-11-2011 08:20 PM

I have it on my factory 5 drag car, it was a direct fit for the factory 5, im sure they could fit any frame, they cnc it for a perfect fit, it is very clear and really looks just like real glass,.

twobjshelbys 10-12-2011 04:33 PM

Are they available per spec? Not all glass is the same. Do they make it from your existing frame/glass? I know the replacement glass I got for my CSX I got from Shell Valley but was told there are subtle differences to shape and curvature.

Also, does the Lexan yellow over time?

fordracing65 10-12-2011 05:54 PM

The window I got was specifically for the factory 5, they told me if they have the correct deminsions they can make any window to spec, it does not yellow over time, the technology with these plastics has come so far they have all the bugs worked out, it is very clear also, just like real glass.

FIA-ERA 10-12-2011 06:32 PM

I made my own lexan windshield for my car. You might be careful when ordering one already done unless you are certain it will fit. There are more than one version of our Cobra windshields out there. The first 200 miles something hit my windshield that I know would have popped it if it was glass! I don't run wipers either, but if you do have them, they will scratch the lexan. The biggest thing is cleaning the lexan. I usually put wet towels on the glass to soften up all the bug crap and then use the correct lexan cleaner. Go VERY slow and rotate to clean towel sides often. I use micro fiber towels. Then once clean I go back and actually apply a coat of wax to polish it out. Perfect! I would be nervous with anything other than lexan! Regards, Matt