Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Antique & Collectibles (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/antique-collectibles/)
-   -   Suddenly after 8 years a strange electrical issue (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/antique-collectibles/134183-suddenly-after-8-years-strange-electrical-issue.html)

Automan 07-28-2015 03:14 AM

Suddenly after 8 years a strange electrical issue

Hi Everyone, looking for some help in finding an issue with my driver side tail lights. Driving home on Sunday, someone flagged me saying that my driver side brake lights were out. I figured it was a bulb. Under closer examination, the lights were actually very faint. Right sidelights were good. I checked the turn signal for that side and not only does it flash (weak light) but doesn't the license light also flash. Right side turn signal works fine.

I've never had an electrical problem. This is a first. Could it be as simple as a faulty flasher under the dash? Why would the license plate light also flash suddenly?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
Nelson

Tommy 07-28-2015 03:30 AM

I'm not sure I fully understood your description, but if one bulb is weak and another that shouldn't be lit is also on, I suspect you have a bad ground. Run a temporary ground wire from a known good ground to the faulty fixture. If that fixes the problem, you have confirmed a bad ground. Then you need to find/fix/bypass the bad ground.

Automan 07-28-2015 05:44 AM

Im running a lucas rear tailights setup including the old connection system. The lights are dim. When i turn the signal light on the driverside, the license light also flashes. When i turn on the passenger side signal light, that works fine and the license plate light doesn't flash.

MOTORHEAD 07-28-2015 06:12 AM

The tailite is getting a poor ground through the license lite would be my first guess. Do what Tommy suggests.

Automan 07-28-2015 06:29 AM

Sorry in advance about this question since it might be considered as a dumb question. A good ground is found on the frame only since the rest of the car is fiberglass?

Tommy 07-28-2015 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automan (Post 1357182)
Sorry in advance about this question since it might be considered as a dumb question. A good ground is found on the frame only since the rest of the car is fiberglass?

That is correct. To be doubly certain, run a jumper wire from the negative battery terminal as your known good ground.

Second thought: I'm not familiar with your particular light fixture. All fixtures on fiberglass bodied cars have to be grounded, usually with a wire. Sometimes the wire will attach to the body of the fixture if it is metal. Other times it will be one of the wires that goes to the socket for the light. On standard wiring, the ground wire will be black.

Automan 07-28-2015 07:13 AM

Thank you, Tonight after work, i will attach a direct line from the socket to the negative side of the battery since the battery is right there. The negative side is already mounted to the rear bumperette frame mounting.

Automan 08-04-2015 04:16 AM

Hey Everyone, Well the issue turned out to be a bad ground wire that had become loose. Tore it all apart, soldered it together with some shrink tube. Good as new. Thankyou for all of your help!!!

Tommy 08-04-2015 06:37 AM

:)
Glad it was an easy fix.

saltshaker 08-04-2015 11:36 AM

A&C lights

Automan, I have extra light sockets from A &C if you need a extra
Jon