Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Antique & Collectibles (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/antique-collectibles/)
-   -   GPS Speedometer (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/antique-collectibles/135098-gps-speedometer.html)

bjretired 11-12-2015 08:54 AM

GPS Speedometer

Just replaced my in accurate Speedometer with a GPS Speedometer. This thing is neat. 200 mph (dreamer) records top speed, 0 to 60 time/speed 1/4 mile time and speed. The only trouble putting it in is I found where a mouse had been chewing on my wiring. Solution.....keep it on the lift a few feet in the air, replace wires and get a cat. bj

H-Rod 11-12-2015 09:09 AM

Was this a Speedhut gauge?

I`m looking at the Cobra set of gauges that Speedhut offers.

jwd 11-12-2015 10:46 AM

I have a complete set of Speedhut gauges in my hotrod. The GPS speedo is awesome. In the digital display it will tell you, speed, direction, time, 0-60 time, 1/4 mile time, peak MPH, elevation and of course, odometer/trip. Probably the best thing is no calibration changes when you change gears, tires etc. It's always 100% accurate (except in a tunnel).

cycleguy55 11-12-2015 02:52 PM

Anybody have experience with converting a VDO speedo to GPS?

This speedometer: Series 1 160MPH 3 3/8" Electronic Speedometer with Autocalibration | Series 1 | By Series | Instruments | VDO Instruments and Accessories

GPS Speed Sender: GPS Speed Sender | Speed, RPM and Rotational Sensors | Sensors | VDO Instruments and Accessories

RTC45 11-12-2015 06:01 PM

I just connected a VDO GPS Sensor to my VDO guage. After sever attempts I found that best connection for the 12 V wire (red)was to the green wire (12 V) coming out of the back of the speedo. he black wire to ground the white wire to ground and the green wire to the # 8 connector on the speedo. Remember to disconnect the sensor coming from the rear end (on my BDR) or the trans. Mine is connected so that the power to the sensor is live when the ign is turned on. Takes a few seconds to power up and acquire signals. My sensor is mounted on the console just forward of the gear shift. You can mount it anywhere you please but remember it is a LOS (line of Sight) antenna . I hope this helps.

bjretired 11-13-2015 07:51 AM

gps

Quote:

Originally Posted by H-Rod (Post 1371160)
Was this a Speedhut gauge?

I`m looking at the Cobra set of gauges that Speedhut offers.

yes it is Speed Hut

There is a wire that goes to the hot side of the Ign. switch that keeps a very low voltage to the gauge so there is no warm up. Not enough to wear the Bat. down. The GPS Speedo fits right in with the rest of my dolphin gauges.

(Any buddy need a dolphin Speedo and sender cheap)

cycleguy55 11-13-2015 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTC45 (Post 1371201)
I just connected a VDO GPS Sensor to my VDO guage. After sever attempts I found that best connection for the 12 V wire (red)was to the green wire (12 V) coming out of the back of the speedo. he black wire to ground the white wire to ground and the green wire to the # 8 connector on the speedo. Remember to disconnect the sensor coming from the rear end (on my BDR) or the trans. Mine is connected so that the power to the sensor is live when the ign is turned on. Takes a few seconds to power up and acquire signals. My sensor is mounted on the console just forward of the gear shift. You can mount it anywhere you please but remember it is a LOS (line of Sight) antenna . I hope this helps.

Very good - thanks.

I note the following from the VDO GPS sender instructions:

"This sender will perform optimally when mounted with a ‘clear line of sight’ to the sky, i.e.: not blocked by a roofline or other steel structure. Other locations may work, depending on your vehicles characteristics."

"GPS Sender LED flashes orange. Sender is attempting to connect to the GPS satellites. This is normal during power up, and will take 35-60 seconds in ideal settings to connect and change to ‘green’(this can take up to 3-4 minutes under certain circumstances). If the sender is not able to connect to at least 1 satellite, or maintain connection to at least 1 satellite, the light will continue to flash orange. This is most likely caused by the sender being mounted in a location that is receiving interference [emphasis mine], or the vehicle is located in an area that cannot get a clear view of the GPS satellites."

Based upon the above, it appears the sender could be mounted under the dash, as long as the body is fiberglass. Having said that, it appears some level of caution is required to ensure the sender is mounted in a location where it will not be affected by interference.

Questions:
  1. Has anyone mounted the VDO speed sender under the dash? If so, what has been your experience, results, etc.?
  2. Are there any issues in mounting the sender in relatively close proximity to an MSD 6A (p/n 6420) ignition? My MSD 6A is mounted on a chrome plated steel panel, dead centre on the engine side of the firewall, midway between the intake manifold and the hood. The sender would most likely be mounted 6" behind and about 6" to the side of the MSD box - about 8" diagonally from the box.

RTC45 11-13-2015 05:39 PM

I am also running a MSD 6AL box, not sure if it causes interference, but when I wired my VDO to the spare IGN source it lost signal as soon as I started the car, moved the 12v wire to a direct 12v of the battery and still lost signal on start up. Connected to the 12v off the speedo and no problems. You should be able to pick up a good signal through the fiberglass, just make sure the antenna is parallel to the horizontal (flat).