Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Antique & Collectibles (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/antique-collectibles/)
-   -   engine mount question (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/antique-collectibles/141254-engine-mount-question.html)

cobrabritt83 07-27-2018 01:13 PM

engine mount question

hi,
I have a question about mounting my engine in the frame. I have an A&C cobra kit car. The engine I am using is a cast block 427 side oiler. I'm using the motor mounts that came with the kit but there is about a 1 inch difference in space between the motor mounts and the frame. The frame is about 1 inch wider compared to the engine with the motor mounts. Not sure if anyone else ran into this problem before or what they did to fix it. The mounts I'm using on the engine are a 3 hole plate with a rubber block with a threaded bolt in the center. They said there for a ford 427 side oiler, but I did have to wobble out one hole for the oil passage.

CoyoteCobra 07-29-2018 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobrabritt83 (Post 1448767)
hi,
I have a question about mounting my engine in the frame. I have an A&C cobra kit car. The engine I am using is a cast block 427 side oiler. I'm using the motor mounts that came with the kit but there is about a 1 inch difference in space between the motor mounts and the frame. The frame is about 1 inch wider compared to the engine with the motor mounts. Not sure if anyone else ran into this problem before or what they did to fix it. The mounts I'm using on the engine are a 3 hole plate with a rubber block with a threaded bolt in the center. They said there for a ford 427 side oiler, but I did have to wobble out one hole for the oil passage.

Have you called Joe to ask him if he has seen other customers find similar issues?

I'm not running an FE, but ran into a similar issue when mounting my Coyote. The Coyote's engine mounts were about an inch too narrow to meet the frame/motor mounts supplied by A&C. I ended up spacing the Coyote's mounts out a bit and it seems to fit really nicely now.

FWB 07-31-2018 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobrabritt83 (Post 1448767)
hi,

the plate sounds right but the rubber mount your describing sounds like a full size ford mount, i think you want a mustang mount, try Crites restoration, the mustang mount has two ears on each side for a cross bolt
without pictures its hard to tell what you have or need

PNJSNAK 08-01-2018 01:27 PM

I ended up putting spacer plates behind the motor mounts, between the mount and the frame. If I recall they were different thicknesses

saltshaker 08-01-2018 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PNJSNAK (Post 1449019)
I ended up putting spacer plates behind the motor mounts, between the mount and the frame. If I recall they were different thicknesses

Correct motor mounts for a FE are 2270 & 2271 1971 LTD w/390
Jon