Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Antique & Collectibles (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/antique-collectibles/)
-   -   Radiator mount configuration (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/antique-collectibles/141861-radiator-mount-configuration.html)

CoyoteCobra 12-31-2018 06:55 AM

Radiator mount configuration

Most of the A&C builds I have seen have the radiator mounted with the top tilted forward. It seems that tilting back would l allow a much larger radiator in the car. I'm curious why most have chosen to tilt the rad forward vs. back.

I bought a 26" x 19" aluminum radiator for mine and it will fit when tilted back, but I'm pretty sure it will not work tilted forward unless I dropped the radiator mount a good bit.

PNJSNAK 12-31-2018 07:34 AM

That is the way the brackets are designed. For the rad to lean forward a bit.
Now, is that the best, not sure, I just followed the kit. In hindsite, I wished I had redesigned the brackets to have a slightly backwards tilt. Why?, because I have always had a bit of an overheating issue. I have struggled with it since I built the car in 2001. I believe you probably get better airflow over the rad if it is tilted back a bit. Also, at higher speeds the front does get light. So, does the frontward leaning rad cause a bit of air lift, maybe.
I’m sure that huge hole in the front doesn’t help.
Maybe others will chime in on what is best design, some manufacturers have straight up, rearward and forward tilts.

saltshaker 12-31-2018 02:05 PM

Radiator

A&C Radiator stands straight and leaning it back won’t help the over heating problem. I solved the over heating issue by installing a 96 3.8 Taurus fan $20 in a junk yard....get the plug for wiring...It is 2 speed and to make it work I got a BMW 2 speed thermostat switch. I had to buy a brass fitting a Home Depot and then drill and tap it to 14.5 mm? for the intake. Then I got a Volvo relay from a junk yard ( Volvo’s have 2 speed fans, came from a 850 $10)system works great. I use a 165 deg thermostat with a 3/16 hole drilled in it. As for front lift, around 115-120mph the front doesn’t start to lift. Air gets under the hood and pushes up. I thought about a front spoiler or enclosing the area around the engine to limit the air getting under the hood.
Jon

CoyoteCobra 01-13-2019 11:09 AM

Leaning it back might not solve an overheating issue, but having a larger rad cannot hurt. I was just curious why all of the builds I've seen have the rad forward when it seems to force you into using a smaller radiator. I'm going to modify the brackets or make my own to get the 26x19 in there.

The Taurus fans are popular for a lot of builds (including outside of Cobras). I will have to check out the switching you mentioned. Thanks for sharing.