Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Antique & Collectibles (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/antique-collectibles/)
-   -   windshield wipers (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/antique-collectibles/67642-windshield-wipers.html)

AMiller 03-02-2006 07:07 PM

windshield wipers

Did any of you that put the winshield wiper set up in you A&C have problems with fit of the accuaters? Getting the 45 degree angle with accuator is not quite happening. No matter what way I adjust things the base hits on the bottom of the cowling causing me to not be able to get enough angle with the accuators poked through.

Im not sure this is a very good description so I guess I just wonder if it went really easy for others???

Oh ya, is it just my computer or did we lose a bunch of topics in this forum??

Thanks,

Aaron

mj_duell 03-02-2006 07:24 PM

Hi Aaron,
As I remember it took a lot of messin' about before I had them at the right angle. Take your time. you may have to add or remove fiberglass under the cowl to get the angle right. The glass is very thick on an A&C so this won't be an issue.

:3DSMILE:

--Mike / Turn Ten Racing, Inc.

PNJSNAK 03-02-2006 07:29 PM

AAron:
Yes a lot of the threads are gone. The site crashed and not sure if they will be able to get it all back. The event was a couple weeks or less back.

Anyway to the problem of the wipers. Yes, it was a b*&?h. The cowl area of the car is very thick fiberglass. I ground down the area where they fit so I could get a couple threads on the nuts. The passenger door and wiper mounting were the most difficult part of the build IMO.

Jim

Haz331 03-03-2006 06:04 AM

Aaron, I have to agree with Mike and Jim, I went through the same problems. It seems as though there should be a simpler way to mount those blasted things. Alot of cursing will help!!!!

AMiller 03-03-2006 07:23 AM

Thanks guys. Im not sure I feel better though. I was really hoping it was me and I was doing something wrong so the fix would be easy. I spent a day just trying to get 2 doors to line up. Glad I am not paying myself by the hour.

Aaron

PNJSNAK 03-03-2006 03:50 PM

Aaron:
I was so relieved when the drivers door lined up so easy, then I went to the passenger door and I was ready to throw a hammer to it. If it makes you feel any better I spent (1) whole week of my vacation screwing with that ONE door.
Here's the secret I learned but never used on my build.
CUT THE COWL HOOP BAR IN TWO PIECES.
Get the doors to fit then weld the hoop back together.
You may be complaining about how thick the fiberglass is in the cowl area. Just think how strong that makes the body. A & C makes some of the best fiberglass bodies around. Haven't you found that you need longer bolts than were supplied with the kit yet.
The fiberglass is too thick!!! But it sure is STRONG!!!!
No regrets here with my choice to go A & C. I just wish I knew more about club cobra before and during my build.
Have fun, I can see your ride parked under the mural in downtown Watkins Glen now. Make sure you post the pic when it happens.
LOL,
Jim

wtm442 03-03-2006 04:30 PM

Windshield wipers?????

Plently of Rain-X and a heavy right foot!

AMiller 03-03-2006 07:29 PM

Funny thing for me I guess. I had more problems with the driver door. Lining it up was not so bad but spacing the strike plate off the fender was a pain. It took 5 washers on the bottom to get it there. As you add more to the bottom it raises the striker and no longer fits into the door plate. I have got pretty good at slotting the holes in the brackets now. Little extra adjustment never hurts. Buy time I got to the passenger door I just got out the die grinder and reslotted the cowl hoop so I could get the bottom of the door out where it needed to be. I still do not have the kind of even gaps in my door seems that I would on a metal car. Joe from A&C reminded me that these bodys are hand laid.

I have noticed that I keep needing longer bolts than are called for. I never thought about the fact that the bodies are just plain thicker than needed. To be honest though the biggest reason I went with the A&C from the start was the fiberglass body.

As far as Watkins goes its sort of a weird thing. I have lived 15 miles away from the place for over 25 years and people that live 100s to 1000s of miles away see the town more often than me. I have all sorts of shortcuts around the place to avoid the traffic and conjestion.

Aaron