Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Antique & Collectibles (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/antique-collectibles/)
-   -   Adjusting my front coil overs. (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/antique-collectibles/79619-adjusting-my-front-coil-overs.html)

Automan 06-09-2007 12:34 PM

Adjusting my front coil overs.

Hi Guys: Ok, i am still having the same problem with my front driverside shocks. I adjusted the coil spring itself by turning if a few rounds. It did lift the car up but it still stays down after i apply pressure on the fender. It doesn't bounce back untill i get to about a 1/2 inch clearance of the tire. At that point there is alittle bounce but it doesn't return to the origional hieght until i lift it manually by the fender. So i went to theadjustable knob at the base of the shock. There are numbers there. So i tried adjusting it all the way to one end but it continues spinning. Tried the other way and it also continues spinning. What numbers did you use on your set up? What is the purpose of this knob.

Thanks
Automan

Sam Bozzette 06-11-2007 07:29 AM

Automan,
I could be wrong, but if the adjustment knob made no difference in bouce back and both front shocks are set for the same adjustment, then it is either the shock or a binding suspension. Quickest way to tell if it is the suspension binding is to pull the shock and see if the movment is free without it. While you have it out you could also remive the spring from the shock and see how it moves. Just some thoughts. Sam

pmfranke 06-11-2007 09:11 AM

probably the knob is for setting the rebound rate. raising the spring on one side will change the balance of the car and will make it handle poorly. take it to a suspention shop they can tell you whats wrong. You might have a dead shock. more thoughts.

Jimv455 07-09-2007 06:30 AM

Hi Automan, I'm new to this but I can tell you since I just bolted on my front suspension this weekend, if you over tighten the lower control arm bolt you'll add a lot stiction which could be causing your problem.. I tightened mine so it was loose enough that the weight of the control arm would allow to drop slightly on it's own. I also had a problem with one of the lower control arms shock brackets being slightly off causing the shock body to hit the lower control arm...

I hope it helps!

Jim

Automan 07-09-2007 07:31 PM

Thanks Jim> I am just in the process of putting on my last part before fluids which is the lower rad hose. I have the wheels off to begin bleeding so i will go back and see how tight i got it.

biggest problem i have now is the door latches. Ever since i put the carpet in, i cant get the doors to click in the latches. It catches the first lip but it cdoesn't want to go into the main hole.

Thanks again
Automan