Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-02-2007, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 4 spd Toploader in an Antique and collectable

Did anyone else put a toploader in thier kit? The positioning of my shifter doesn't look like the rest of yours. It still doesn't stick out enough. I put an aluminum spacer about 1 inch high between the shifter and the base of my shifter but it still isn't high enough. The top of the shifter cover is still on the angled portion of the handle. Because of the spacer, it has also caused the travel distance from first to 2nd to be greater. That it actually hits the ring when it is shifted to second. im afraid to add a higher spacer because it will probably increase the travel even further where i wont be able to get it into gear.

Things make you you go hmmmmmmmmmm'

Automan
Old 10-02-2007, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

You'll have to cut your tunnel down and reshape it. Been there, done that. (It's easy)
Old 10-02-2007, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 460
Not Ranked     

Automan, look in my gallery and you will see a hurst mounting bracket that will solve your problem. You will also need matching rods.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to mj_duell
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Brewer
You'll have to cut your tunnel down and reshape it. Been there, done that. (It's easy)
I didn't need to cut the tunnel and I had a big block FE with a toploader. Don't know if I have any pictures that will help, but happy to give any info needed. Look toward the beginning of my gallery.

--Mike
Old 10-04-2007, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Presently searching for the right ride & engine
Not Ranked     
Default 4 Speed Top Loader or TKO 6

Thought I would put some feelers out there on these cars about going with the Top loader or 5 speed. What is the percentage of people actually going with the Top loader? I assume the 5 speed is preferred since its the overdrive but I would like to hear from you Cobra guys as I'm in the process of going with a SPF 427 FE s/o I personally just like the 4 speed...that just what I'm used to. Any thoughts?
Old 10-04-2007, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C,351W
Not Ranked     

If 4 is good 5 has got to be better. Why not go for 6?

I went with the 5 speed for the overdrive. I also went small block though. If I had gone with the big block I would have chosen a much taller rear gear and the overdrive may have no longer been a concern.

Aaron
Old 10-04-2007, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 4 Spd vs 5 spd

Any other thoughts on the 4spd vs the 5 spd? I know you Cobra guys must have allot to say about this.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I obviously went with a 67 4spd for my 65 427 center oiler (2x4 600cfm carbs). Rear gears are 3.75. Doing 60miles an hour in fourth gear equals 2600 rpm currenty. Still testing. Hoping to get that RPM down. Sounds mean but the gas usage is out of this world but then again i did set it up for fuel economy on a Sunday afternoon.

Automan
Old 10-08-2007, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C , 466 Ford, 5speed Tremec
Not Ranked     

I went with a Ford 550 hp 466 and a tremec close ratio 500 with 355 gears. No complaints! 65 mph in 5th in around 2k rpm. I went with the close ratio as I had a wide ratio in another ride and first gear was pretty much useless, by the time you let the clutch out it was time to shift into second. If you go with a tremec in a big block application you either need to use an adapter or modify the pilot section of the imput shaft. "its about a half inch to long" for the stock or aftermarket bellhousing. I have details if anyone is interested. Sam
Old 10-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automan
Did anyone else put a toploader in thier kit? The positioning of my shifter doesn't look like the rest of yours. It still doesn't stick out enough. I put an aluminum spacer about 1 inch high between the shifter and the base of my shifter but it still isn't high enough. The top of the shifter cover is still on the angled portion of the handle. Because of the spacer, it has also caused the travel distance from first to 2nd to be greater. That it actually hits the ring when it is shifted to second. im afraid to add a higher spacer because it will probably increase the travel even further where i wont be able to get it into gear.

Things make you you go hmmmmmmmmmm'

Automan
I used a '66 Galaxie Top Loader (long tailshaft) with a 289 style shifter in my ERA 427. While not optimal, it seems to fit fine. After I get it sorted, I'll change to a 427 style shifter. Check my gallery, the shifter location is much like yours.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

HOBIGBLOCK, Many Cobras have Toploaders in them.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 4spd & TKO preference

Tim thanks. As I mentioed earlier I'm interested in going with a new SPF, and I just was looking for feedback on the top loader vs the TKO series. Personally, I'm leaning toward the top loader for originality, besides I'm used to 4 speeds, and I'm not expecting top do much hwy driving just local cruising.. I would appreciate any inpot on these transmissions before I make my purchase .. thanks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: