Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Arizona Cobra's (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arizona-cobras/)
-   -   Dang, Dang, Dang!!!!!!! (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arizona-cobras/113735-dang-dang-dang.html)

HighPlainsDrifter 12-28-2011 04:02 PM

Firing order was wrong?

Hi,
Off hand I would check and see if the firing order was correct, roller cam is 13726548 and old 302 is 15426378.
That broken piston looks like it fired on the wrong stroke. The engine would run, just down on power.
Good Luck,
Perry.

RedSnake351 12-28-2011 04:41 PM

N O T I C E ! ! !
The picture of the SINGLE BROKEN PISTON is NOT the one that came out of the engine this thread is about.
It was posted by HOTFINGRS and is out of a totally different motor!

Ralph

Danr55 12-28-2011 05:27 PM

Perry, that's normally good info, but since Karl is running a Chebby, it won't help this time. I know, he's strange..

HighPlainsDrifter 12-28-2011 05:35 PM

Well that's the problem!

Chevy's are a different animal, it still wouldn't hurt to check the F.O.
Perry.:MECOOL:

vettestr 12-28-2011 07:44 PM

Karlos and Boys,
So what did you find or what are the strange things you found.
I know it is real easy to spend your buddies money but I might be able to help, give me a call.

dave from mesa 12-29-2011 05:55 AM

Jeff
I think we are gonna pull the engine today. Not sure if we will have any info tho.

Everyone else:
Sorry if I didn't explain this is a Cobra that Karl wrecked about 3 yrs ago. He decided to keep it and rebuild it. 4 of us have been working a few half days a week for about 2 1/2 yrs. We have done just about everything from the frame up. We put the original engine, bored 454 chevy, back in it, It hadn't run all that time but seemed to run fine when we got it started up. All Karl has done is drive it around for maybe less than 100 miles when this happened. Sorry for the confusion.

vettestr 12-29-2011 07:40 AM

Thanks Dave,
You may never find the turd that went through the cylinders but check in the intake and exhaust. I hope the left bank is not hurt any worse than what you already found on the right bank. A little solvent poured behind the valves will quickly check for bent valves. A new 540 or 572 would sure test all your suspension modifications. The 540 combo has been refined to a volumetric efficiency level that pump gas yields 700+ flywheel HP.

WardL 12-29-2011 07:50 AM

What kind of gasoline are you using? Has the fuel been sitting around for 2 1/2 years?

jhv48 12-29-2011 08:06 AM

It's a chevy engine?

Then, who cares?

Just kidding! :LOL:

dave from mesa 12-29-2011 03:30 PM

Fuel is new. Like I said he has drivin it a little less than 100 miles.
I agree about the Chevy but it is what it is.
The other head looks better but it is still beat up some. Gonna tear down the engine on Mon so we will see what other damage there might be.

jetsbaby 12-30-2011 11:28 AM

Carl.

If you guys ever need any welding done..Let me know..I do it for a living and I am cheap..Only a couple of beers for club members is the normal charge! ;)

Karl Bebout 12-30-2011 12:47 PM

Hey Jets, thanks for the offer. I'll certainly keep you in mind. Where are you located?

jetsbaby 12-30-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Bebout (Post 1167951)
Hey Jets, thanks for the offer. I'll certainly keep you in mind. Where are you located?

We did meet all most a year ago at breakfast in Mesa..I had the black gelcoat F5 with the BBF 514 with the hard top..You probably remember..Me and China drove up in our cars..I am the retired Mesa PD officer..I live in Chandler AZ..I have Miller 252 mig and have the spool gun so I can weld aluminum with it..I also tig weld, but I don't have a tig welder yet..I don't want to buy a cheap Chinese one and Miller tig are a little pricey..

RedSnake351 12-30-2011 08:16 PM

Jets, ya better keep Karl's contact info handy, if he ever gets his beast runnin' he'll be needin' a hell of a lot of welding services from ya! :eek:
Been told, he can't control all those chebby ponies under his hood!**)

Ralphie, the controller!:p

Rick Parker 12-31-2011 12:51 AM

Is it possible that some significant moisture got into some cylinders while it was sitting? I'm trying to read the gaskets and they may have failed while the engine sat allowing water to drain into in 2 or 3 cylinders.

tin-man 12-31-2011 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSnake351 (Post 1167998)
Jets, ya better keep Karl's contact info handy, if he ever gets his beast runnin' he'll be needin' a hell of a lot of welding services from ya! :eek:
Been told, he can't control all those chebby ponies under his hood!**)

Ralphie, the controller!:p

Hey Ralphie, dream on pal, you ain't the controller, yo' wifey is. Now go ahead and tell me I am wrong, I dare ya.:LOL: tin-man

tin-man 12-31-2011 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave from mesa (Post 1167842)
Fuel is new. Like I said he has drivin it a little less than 100 miles.
I agree about the Chevy but it is what it is.
The other head looks better but it is still beat up some. Gonna tear down the engine on Mon so we will see what other damage there might be.

Why don't you talk Karl into putting a Roush engine in his beast and that would solve all his problems since there would be no guessing. tin-man

Karl Bebout 12-31-2011 08:14 AM

Hey Jets, I do remember you, now that you refreshed my memory. Haven't heard or seen anything from you in a long time. Glad you're back on line. If you'd like to send me a PM with your phone number, I can get in contact. Thanks, K.

Danr55 12-31-2011 09:58 PM

Tinner. That might get him a 100good miles.or so but what would he do after that?

olddog 01-01-2012 08:02 AM

The #2 cylinder may have got cleaned by steam. In other words, a water leak.

Detonation seems like a good explanation. Have you inspected the plugs closely? There may be some evidence on them.