Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Arizona Cobra's (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arizona-cobras/)
-   -   Arizona DMV (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arizona-cobras/63400-arizona-dmv.html)

Teddy 04-11-2005 03:33 PM

Arizona DMV

Can anyone recommend a DMV in Phoenix? Prefer the least busy, even if it's outside town. Bringing a Sperformance titled in Ohio as 2004 cobra replica/kit car. Any helpfull advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks Teddy

need4speed 04-11-2005 04:23 PM

The branch office in Mesa located off US 60 and Greenfield is usually pretty reasonable as far as ease of getting through it and time required. Details below.

Mesa Southeast
4123 E Valley Auto Dr
Mesa

Fitz 04-12-2005 12:10 AM

I went with Gordon to get mine inspected to receive a AZ number. It took very little time. I then went to the one up the street from Gordon's place myself and for $24 you can get out in about 1/2 to 45 minutes. Ask Gordon for directions. It was by the airport.

ItBites 04-12-2005 02:40 PM

Teddy,

When I brought mine here from Texas it had been registered in two states prior. I went to the inspection line and walked over to the tech inspectors and asked which inspection line I needed to be in. I already knew the answer, but it gave me the opportunity to get the inspectors involved.

One of them went in to the folks in my inspection line and told them specifically how to fill out the paperwork. Basically, you want to title yours as a 65 or 66 special construction. This allows you to bypass emissions testing forever. The process is simple from there.

I went to Greenfield and US60 as described in the first response. Gordon has had many done there and they knew what I had and how to handle it.

You can also search this forum and find more info. If you search for my login name around 1 - 1 1/2 years back you'll find I asked the same question and also some descriptions on my experience.

Welcome to the crew.

Rainman 04-14-2005 02:19 PM

You may want to avoid Scottsdale...

I was there today all morning waiting to get my Level II inspection. They were nice, but are booked with appointments for over three weeks and will only deal with "walk-ups" as time allows.

Once I got the Level II (three hours later), getting the title and plates went quite quickly.

Level II inspection: $25

Title and historic plates: $48.50

Driving a Cobra: Priceless...

Cobrabill 04-14-2005 02:54 PM

Any of you Az folks,i'm letting my personal plate go(SLITHR).Whoever wants it,just e-mail me and i'll sign it over to you.

ItBites 04-14-2005 05:50 PM

Teddy,

Since your car has already been titled and licensed, you only need the level 1 inspection as I recall...

Teddy 04-14-2005 06:13 PM

Thanks

Thanks alot everyone, very helpfull. Has anyone used one of the "Authorized third party" companies. They're listed on the Az. MVD website. Seems pretty convenient, you can mail it in.
Thanks

azsprint6 04-15-2005 06:20 AM

tax

Do you have to pay sales tax in AZ at DMV for the kit purchase price?

Y-NOT 04-15-2005 06:39 AM

Tax Man

Arizona will collect the tax for the kit and any other major untaxed items - engines etc. !
Bill:CRY:

Teddy 04-15-2005 08:44 AM

Tax ?

How is the tax assessed if the car is allready titled in another state?

ItBites 04-15-2005 08:52 AM

I do not recall paying tax on mine in AZ. I think since the sale occurred in TX, AZ cannot claim sales tax on the purchase of a used vehicle.

Of course, I'm no tax lawyer. But I think all I paid was the title and registration. I think the level 1 inspection was free also...

Y-NOT 04-15-2005 10:15 AM

Kit Tax

Maybe this will help clear things up.
My kit from FFR was never taxed before I registered my Cobra in AZ. This was the first time the car was ever registered.
Bill%/

need4speed 04-16-2005 10:29 AM

When I registered my Lister after I built it, they never charged me sales tax. I only assume that it was since I bought it from a company that is located out of state.

Y-NOT 05-10-2005 11:28 AM

DMV

Just got back from ADOT to register my 77 Datusn 280Z / Ferrari 250 GTO kit car.
I now have a 1962 Ferrari GTO CP First registered 06/1962 without SPCON on the title. Cost $25.00 for the level III inspection and $27.50 for the title and one year license. I asked the level III inspector about putting AZ vin tag on the door sill where it will be covered by the threshold plate. He said the vin tag can be covered, if the cops want to see it let them remove the threshold plate. They did not charge sales tax on the kit, engine etc.
Bill:MECOOL: