Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Arntz/Butler Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arntz-butler-forum/)
-   -   Butler FRONT wheels and tires. (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arntz-butler-forum/139741-butler-front-wheels-tires.html)

lal Naja 12-04-2017 07:57 PM

Butler FRONT wheels and tires.

I'm finally going to replace my Centerline 15" rims and tires.

I believe Butler sold/suggested 10" wide front rims and 12" wide at the back.

I'm most interested in knowing if anyone has used a narrower front rim and was any appreciable difference noticed, like better steering because of the reduced scrub.

I'd appreciate all pros and cons and also guidance on selecting 17" and 18" diameter rims and what brand/size/rating tires you selected.

For the Butler guys with the FastCars IFS I'd be interested in your selection.

Thanks,

Arthur

Cobra Build Photo Album. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=0d9c5c8c6d

Tom Howland 12-05-2017 06:42 PM

Well I don't have anything you have asked a about. So I'm going to tell you anyway. Corvette a arms, spindles, brakes. 15" Vintage pin wheels. Micky Thompson sport? tires. I like everything, no complaints. Thanks for the post. I felt like everyone was on vacation.

lal Naja 12-06-2017 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Howland (Post 1433956)
Well I don't have anything you have asked a about. So I'm going to tell you anyway. Corvette a arms, spindles, brakes. 15" Vintage pin wheels. Micky Thompson sport? tires. I like everything, no complaints. Thanks for the post. I felt like everyone was on vacation.

Tom, Are you using 12" wide rims in back with and 10" wide in front with 4 1/2" Back spacing as Butler specified? What is the MT part number on your tires?

I looked at the Micky Thompson Sportsman S/R tires today on the Summit Racing website.

Front: MTT-6654 will fit my original Butler supplied 10" wide Centerline rims. MT Tire is 26" to 26.99" in diameter with a section width of 12" which is very close in size to my current BFGoodrich P275-50-R15 TA Radials which is 27" in diameter. So it is close in size.

Rear: MTT-6642 will also fit the 12" Wide Centerline rims. But it is almost 2" larger in diameter at 29"and the section width is 15" which is 2" wider than the BFGoodrich P295-50-R15 TA Radials. I believe this tire will also fit, but it will be nice to know your setup.

When I built my car I pushed the Jaguar IRS back an additional 3/4" to better center the wheel in the wheel arch, so I have a little more wheel clearance between the front of the rear wheel and the body/frame.

Thank you!!!

Cobra build photo Album. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=0d9c5c8c6d

Tom Howland 12-06-2017 09:12 PM

I have 10" in front and 12" in rear. I am out of town until the 20th. The 21st I will measure and look up info and get back. Your MTT6654 and 6642 look correct but I don't remember. I don't know the back spacing. I have adapters for the pin wheels. I will measure to the outside of the rim beads and get you that number unless there is some other measurement you would like. Remember my suspension is different than yours.

lal Naja 12-07-2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Howland (Post 1433989)
I have 10" in front and 12" in rear. I am out of town until the 20th. The 21st I will measure and look up info and get back. Your MTT6654 and 6642 look correct but I don't remember. I don't know the back spacing. I have adapters for the pin wheels. I will measure to the outside of the rim beads and get you that number unless there is some other measurement you would like. Remember my suspension is different than yours.

Thanks Tom for your reply. No need to do any measuring. I went ahead with purchasing the MTT tires today. I'm confident these will fit properly. Should have them Tuesday and I will know for sure!

This will postpone my purchase of 17" or 18" wheels for a while.

Best Regards, Arthur

Tom Howland 12-20-2017 03:18 PM

Arthur,

What I have is Front 26x10x15 M/T Sportsman S/R #6653. Rear 26x12x15 M/T Sportsman S/R #6654. I measured outside of rim beads on the wheels and have, Front 62 5/8 inches Rear 67 3/4 inches. Looks like you are one set larger all the way around than I am.

lal Naja 12-22-2017 03:17 PM

Thanks Tom for your update. I have an update too.

The 6642 were too big in diameter and width and would not fit. I had to return them.

On the front I have the 6654 these are a perfect fit.

The back tires are 6641 and sizing to fit the car without interference. And although it is not recommended that these be installed on a rim that is wider than 10" I mounted them on my 12" rims and they look good and fit well. I adopted the position that these are temporary and will do till I replace them with larger diameter 17" or 18" rims and tires in the future.

The ride is much smother and handling much improved with the MT tires as compared to the BFG tires.