Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Arntz/Butler Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arntz-butler-forum/)
-   -   Butler or not? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arntz-butler-forum/143213-butler-not.html)

scregan 01-26-2020 05:46 AM

Butler or not?

2 Attachment(s)
This Cobra is for sale locally. Seller dosen't know what the Mfg of the kit was. I'm thinking it is a Butler. Can anyone tell from the pics if it is a butler or not?
Have additional pics I can send. Wouldn't load in post.

Also how ins the room in a Butler?

Attachment 34069

Attachment 34070

TexasSnake 01-26-2020 05:53 AM

Looks like a West Coast to me.

joyridin' 01-26-2020 05:55 AM

Certain things look like it, but certain things do not. The dash doesn't look right and neither does the gas filler location. Without more info, it is hard to say. A Butler would have a Jag IRS, and a MG front end. The shifter will come out of the tunnel right about at your elbow, although that may depend on which trans is in it.
If you do a search through the archives, there are posts telling you how to check. There should be a number on the frame I think on the drivers side behind the front wheel.
It could be an Arntz, but you would need more pics of the interior and engine compartment.

scregan 01-26-2020 06:05 AM

It does have a Jag rear & MG front end

cycleguy55 01-26-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasSnake (Post 1471408)
Looks like a West Coast to me.

While the roll bar is very similar to my WCC, there's not enough 'droop' in the rear fenders, nor are they wide enough to be a WCC. The dash is also very different than WCCs. Mine also has beehive taillights, not tombstone - though that's minor.

joyridin' 01-27-2020 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scregan (Post 1471411)
It does have a Jag rear & MG front end

More than likely it is a Butler or Arntz. As mentioned, if it is a Butler, did through the old posts and there are numerous posts stating how to find the serial number on a Butler. Arntz never used numbers, so if the number is not there, it is probably an Arntz.

I could be wrong, but I do not recall ever seeing a Butler with the gas tank inlet where that one is located. I know Arntz put a tank in that location. Either way, you would not go wrong. What engine does it have?

scregan 01-27-2020 07:17 AM

A couple more clues. It has 10-79 welded on a chassis cross brace and G+R welded on anouther brace.
I also have a VIN, but dont want to post. Is there somewhere I can look up the VIN/SN?
No letters preceding the numbers

joyridin' 01-27-2020 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scregan (Post 1471454)
A couple more clues. It has 10-79 welded on a chassis cross brace and G+R welded on anouther brace.
I also have a VIN, but dont want to post. Is there somewhere I can look up the VIN/SN?
No letters preceding the numbers

I would have to crawl under my car, but I am pretty sure my Arntz has the same thing welded on the frame with roughly the same date.

More than likely, it has a VIN from a certain state. You would have to contact the BMV in that state and do the research. My car originally came from California, so it has a California VIN plate. The VIN is pretty worthless.
As mentioned, if it were a Butler, it would have a serial number on the frame behind the front wheel. Arntz had nothing.

750hp 01-29-2020 12:45 AM

I see a whole lot more Butler Cobras with internal trunk hinges than Arntz.

joyridin' 01-30-2020 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 750hp (Post 1471522)
I see a whole lot more Butler Cobras with internal trunk hinges than Arntz.

Hmmm...my Arntz has internal hinges. I never paid any attention either way. Now I have to start looking.

Roncal1 02-03-2020 05:37 PM

My Arntz has external trunk hinges