Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Arntz/Butler Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arntz-butler-forum/)
-   -   Arnst with no engine or trans in San Carlos, CA (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arntz-butler-forum/53707-arnst-no-engine-trans-san-carlos-ca.html)

Robert T. Faust 05-13-2004 07:04 AM

Arnst with no engine or trans in San Carlos, CA

I found an Arnst in San Carlos on Harbor Blvd, right off 101, that has been sitting in the owner's machine shop for about ten years. He pulled the engine and trans out and never got around to putting it back together. He nolonger has the engine or trans. Said he would sell it if anyone was interested. I said I'd mention it on this site. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll see if I can get some pictures.
Bob

grumpy 05-13-2004 07:14 AM

ARNTZ

Robert,

It might be noted the ARNTZ cars are setup for Chevy small blocks and Doug Nash tansmissions, however in the early 80’s there were a few 454 Chevy big-blocks installed before the company was sold. The chassis was 3”x4” tube parallel ladder design, w/ perimeter rails of 4”x1 ½” and the X-bracing is laid out to utilize the location for a Doug Nash transmission or any of a number of GM Automatics.
The brakes are Jaguar that have modifications by Huffaker Engineering the supplier of rotors and remanufactured calipers.
The steering is from an MGB as is the items of the front suspension, with re-valved Koni shocks. The rear suspension was taken from a XKE Jaguar in the normal 3.53:1 ratio.

grumpy

Robert T. Faust 05-13-2004 08:20 AM

You are correct sir, he did have the Doug Nash box, and a small block Chevy, Jag rearend, the MGB front end has been updated, and this incredible large diameter roll bar (FIA style?). The rims are 3 piece (BBDS? or something like that). He has all the plans and papers that used to be in the advertisement package from Arnst.
Bob

Dangerous Doug 05-14-2004 01:47 PM

First, thanks Bob for getting the owner info to me so I could talk to him.

I just spoke with the owner. The car was built in 1983, driven for about 3 years, and then the engine was pulled with the intent of installing a tuned-down engine. And there is sat since 1986.

Car is set up for a 350 Chevy engine, and has Hooker headers and pipes. Radiator is missing. Steering column is removed, but present.

The car is black with a few dings and scratches, the seats and dash are in reasonably good condition. All of the gauges are there. Car needs some TLC.

Owner wants $15k, and is not in a big hurry to sell. Seems like a decent guy.

This sounds like a good project car for the right person.

Tempting, but I'm going to hold out and wait until I can get either a Kirkham or ERA 289FIA.

Cheers,
Dangerous Doug

garystoyshop 03-28-2006 10:27 AM

Hi,

I just wounder if this car is still around? I would like to know? If the body is the same as mine I would like to see some pictures? I could us it.

Let me know please.

Thanks,

Gary