Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 11-11-2009, 03:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     
Question Wilwood calipers road legal in QLD?

Are Wilwood calipers legal in QLD ?
What I really need to know is do they have dust boots over the pistons so they can pass rego inspection?
I've found some on Ebay at the right price, but obviously don't want to spend the $'s if I can't fit them for inspection !
Rog246
Old 11-11-2009, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Prob best to ask your engineer about that one. I believe the RCR cars have Wilwood calipers..
Old 11-11-2009, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Wilwoods don't have dust seals. However quite a few have got cars registered with them on. I think a lot of it comes down to the engineer not knowing about the lack of dust seals or the calipers being labeled as something else.

Cheers

Old 11-11-2009, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance (AUS 09 or SPF 2792) - LS7 427ci
Not Ranked     

Hi guys,

My SPF has Wilwood brakes....what is the issue with dustcaps or a lack thereof?

Regards......Paul
Old 11-11-2009, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Dust seals are not a requirement of the ADR's.

But the caliper needs to have a reasonable service life for it's use. The Wilwoods have stainless pistons and very well designed internal seals.

There are also AP's that have been approved for road use here that also do not have dust seals. Even ones fitted a while back by HSV to their vehicles.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Hi Paul
What it means is as the brake pads wear out the caliper pistons move further out. The problem is that there is nothing to protect the piston from dirt / corrosion / damage so when you put new pads in and push the pistons back the seal may get damaged or crap may just get under the seal and cause a failure.

Wilwood brake calipers are not road legal and state that on the box they come in. I have seen many cars regoed with them but like Mike says it's because the Engineer did not know or notice they have this problem.

I think Wilwood is a good brake caliper but not Road legal in Australia.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

My understanding is that they're well made, reasonably priced, fabulously effective (I loved them on my car), but they are not legal because they aren't ADR approved. Never mind the design, a product can meet ADR specifications but if
that actual part number doesn't have ADR approval, it's not legal.

I must be getting old and boring, but lately I've started wondering about what would happen if the braking system of ICVs was scrutinised in the event of any type of accident/insurance claim. Scary to consider the implications...
Old 11-11-2009, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by albanycobra View Post
Hi Paul
What it means is as the brake pads wear out the caliper pistons move further out. The problem is that there is nothing to protect the piston from dirt / corrosion / damage so when you put new pads in and push the pistons back the seal may get damaged or crap may just get under the seal and cause a failure.
When changing pads on any caliper without external dust seals you must use a brake cleaner to clear the exposed surfaces before retracting the pistons. This is part of the standard service technique for Wilwood etc. The pistons on these type of calipers are usually stainless and the seals are also of a higher quality as they only run a single seal.

There are production vehicles without dust seals on the calipers.

I expect Wilwood state they are not for road use purely for litigation reasons.

RCR have not yet committed to any particular caliper brand in Australia. We have been investigating and testing a variety of brands to come up with the best solution for Australian road/track conditons.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Hopefully you can get them accepted and approved as it will free up a good brake caliper for everyone to use and know in the event of an accident they will have no worries.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

An Insurance company would pick this one up in a wink of an eye...anything to void the claim...Talk to the insurer. They are the REAL rule makers.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dust seals are not a requirement for brake calipers as far as the ADRs are concerned. Dust seals are not even mentioned in the ADRs. Plenty of production cars in Australia have brakes that do not have dust seals.

But you will have more trouble getting a caliper like these passed here in Australia. Mainy because of misinformation as you can see by this thread.

We've certainly been happy with the performance of the better Wilwood calipers like Billet 6 piston.

But we have lots of options when it comes to brakes, so I doubt we will end up running with Wilwood in Australia.

Best advice was the first piece, contact your engineer about them.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone for the comments. Will go with the first advice & check with my Engineer
tar
Rog
Old 11-12-2009, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     
Default Threads

I think that the tread on the caliper where the flexible line attaches is an NTP thread. I think that is not legal but easily corrected, just pull them appart and tap them with the correct thread.

Phil

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: