Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   6 speed clutch master cylinder (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/101707-6-speed-clutch-master-cylinder.html)

Outwest34au 12-27-2009 03:14 PM

6 speed clutch master cylinder

Hi crowd, hope you all had a productive and relaxing christmas.

I was wondering what bore and stroke cylinder I will need to operate the clutch on the T56 6 speed box.

If anyone can suggest a commonly available (donor car) one, or a simple aftermarket one it would be helpful.

Thanks

Modena 12-27-2009 03:31 PM

a VT series II - VE Commodore donor leaps to mind, as all 5.7/6.0 manuals used that box.

byroncobra 12-27-2009 05:41 PM

My local clutch/brake guy supplied mine for the T56. Sorry can't remember specs, but a newy wasn't much more than used, same for the brake master cyl.

I had nowhere easy to put the resorvoir under the dash so it's located on the little flat shelf under the bonnet near where the bonnet catches are.

Krait 12-27-2009 06:34 PM

Had a Commodore master cylinder but it kept weeping. Swapped it out for a Tilton and no dramas since.

Cheers

Aussie Mike 12-27-2009 08:02 PM

You will need to move about 10cc of fluid to disengage the clutch. That means a 7/8" or 1" bore MC. I'm using a 7/8" bore Wilwood MC and the clutch is nice and light. The 7/8 has a slightly longer stroke than the 1" version and they both move about the same volume of fluid for the full stroke.

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/006-...CRMC/index.asp

Cheers

Modena 12-27-2009 10:40 PM

Mike are you using that in combination with Commodore style slave cylinder?

Outwest34au 12-27-2009 10:58 PM

Thanks for the input guys.
At a quite affordable circa $130 I think the Willwood will/would be the choice.

Aussie Mike 12-27-2009 11:27 PM

Yep, I'm using the stock T56 Hydraulic throwout just modified for a braided line.

Cheers

mikeforte 12-28-2009 04:21 AM

Hi Mike,
I stock new OEM masters & slaves or hyd throw out bearings. I also make stainless steel -4 an fittings.

Aussie Mike 12-28-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeforte (Post 1013129)
Hi Mike,
I stock new OEM masters & slaves or hyd throw out bearings. I also make stainless steel -4 an fittings.

AN#4 line is a must. A couple of us tried AN#3 lines initially but the smaller line doesn't flow well enough to let the clutch engage quickly and you get clutch slip.

Cheers

Outwest34au 12-28-2009 11:30 PM

I assume you mean 1/4 inch ID Mike?
As in dash 4 = 4 over 16
Equals 1/4"
Different hydraulic mobs can have different numbers from my past (recent and local)experience.
Some call the same thing a 7/16".

AN is probably the ISO term that our local hydraulic mobs don't always follow.
Regardless, they would probably not have appropriate hose. Would 'Synflex' be sufficient for the pressure and suitable regards degredation fron the brake fluid? It is used widely in mining applications here.

Aussie Mike 12-29-2009 04:29 AM

AN stands for Army Navy and is used a lot in motor sports. It has a 37 degree taper rather than 45 like a lot of fittings. I believe they are interchangeable with JIC but I'm not sure on the sizing conventions.

I used Speedflow fittings http://www.speedflow.com.au/hoseends.html Good Quality Locally made too.

The ends are PN: 201-04

http://www.speedflow.com.au/hoses.html
Hose is teflon lined and rated to 1500PSI. PN: 200-04
NB is actually closer to 3/16"

It's stainless braided and I think they can supply it with a protective plastic cover too but I just went for the plain stuff.

Cheers

mikeforte 12-29-2009 05:44 AM

Hi,
Like Mike said above it is -4 AN = 1/4" ID line.

Aussie Mike 12-29-2009 05:57 AM

I think the convention 4 on16 is right but a lot of the hose specs I see have an actual inside diameter smaller than than 1/4" or 1/2" etc.

Any idea why? Is it based on the need for a tight fit over a standard size barb?

I've bought SpeedFlow, Russell and Earls in the past and they are all smaller than the nominated size. Russel for example quote 7/32" ID for their 1/4" #4 line.

Cheers

alffie 12-29-2009 05:06 PM

The AN dash series is the OD of alloy pipes, so all -4 alloy pipes are 1/4 inch OD otherwise you would need differnt sleeves for 25thou, 32thou and 53thou alloy pipes.

stumpeater 12-30-2009 01:43 AM

Master cylinder & a T56 question.

I have used a Toyota Hi Ace cylinder. It disengages the clutch OK but I have not tried it with the engine running, just turning the tail shaft by hand.
Sorry to Hi Jack this thread but Mikeforte says he is an agent for Tremec T56 Question please Mike? Why does the box in my car (SS Commodore), and my Cobra T56 say to fill it with oil higher than the inspection hole. Aussie Mike has a theory it's to shut up the noise a bit, is this true. Peter.:confused:

Outwest34au 01-01-2010 03:11 PM

Good question Stumpy, one I hadn't been aware off.