Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   5.0 windsor dipstick (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/105606-5-0-windsor-dipstick.html)

byroncobra 07-13-2010 09:22 PM

5.0 windsor dipstick

Fellas

My engine was supplied with standard oilpan and no dipstick, so I've purchased one aftermarket to suit a 5.0 Windsor

However, when adding 5 litres of oil, which seems to be universally recommended by various US forums, there's no sign of it on the dipper.

I've got good pressure on the gauge and no warning light indicating it's low.

What do ya reccon?

Aussie Mike 07-14-2010 12:01 AM

A lot of those after market dipsticks rely on you filling your motor with the volume of oil you want and then either cutting the dip stick to length or shortening the dipstick tube to suit.

Cheers

Merv and Sharon 07-14-2010 04:25 AM

Greg,

I reckon that if it is a standard Windsor (check the Ford Aust specs as I think yours is one of theirs) then it is 5 litres normally. Shortening the dipstick tube might be the go, as Mike suggests. I would check the Ford Aust service specs, however (or visit the wrecker?).

bobcowan 07-14-2010 07:52 AM

There are two dipsticks. The short one goes through the front cover, passenger side. The long one goes through the block, passenger side. Some pans also have a fitting for the dipstick, and they generally use the short one.

Since you've already purchased and installed the short one, you might be able to get by with shortening the tube. But sometimes that moves the handle down so low you can't easily reach it..

spddemon 07-14-2010 08:46 AM

If you bought a crate engine as i did years ago the dipstick is on the opposite side as we are used to. I was told by Ford that this is because the crate 302 has an oil pan from an Austrailian Falcon. I got the dipstick for the Falcon and it works perfectly.

byroncobra 07-14-2010 04:50 PM

Thanks fellas

I'm pretty sure my engine is a US jobby, Merv so I think 5 litres is about right.

Now you US friends, things get very confusing when you refer to passenger side......are you converting to Aussie first :-) only one hole for the dipstick though.

Looks like i'll get out the hacksaw........

Thanks

Merv and Sharon 07-14-2010 09:22 PM

I think so Greg and they are a bit sensitive to overfilling ...

*Cobber* 07-15-2010 07:56 PM

Try putting the sump plug in.:LOL:

spookypt 07-15-2010 08:17 PM

5 litres???? I wish that was for me.... My thing sucks in 12 litres every change and at $200 for 5 litres of The Royal I choke after every oil change. Which is alot more regularly than you want to even ask! Lol

byroncobra 07-17-2010 03:07 PM

Matt, you will fly with the elite........looks like a sponsorship deal may be the go!

Asp302 07-21-2010 03:06 AM

Jeez spooky where in god's name would you put 12 lts?????? what you fillin up your boot or what lol

spookypt 07-21-2010 04:58 AM

Very large petersen oil tank res off dry sump! Although I must check the boot just in case!