Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Fuel line (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/106202-fuel-line.html)

Rog246 08-16-2010 11:52 PM

Fuel line

A question on fuel line from tank to mill & return.
Copper or al-u min-ium ?
3/8' or 1/2' ?

My thinking is 1/2 to & 3/8 from, any suggestions/recommendations will be gratefully appreciated.
Rog

Harry 100 :D

Wodnas 08-17-2010 12:17 AM

Rog,

Have a chat with Warrick. He sells stainless steel lines the correct length and size including hose barbs. Thats where I got mine.

Cheers Bob

Rog246 08-17-2010 01:08 AM

errr........I knew that !!:LOL:

How is the wiring coming along Bob, I heard that you had a problem. Is it solved yet ?

Rog

Wodnas 08-17-2010 05:31 AM

OK just trying to be helpful.

I have had problems with the powercells. Spent nearly an hour on the phone last weekend with Mike Webber from Isis carrying out tests. Seems I may have faulty powercells. He is sending me a couple of replacements.

Cheers Bob

Merv and Sharon 08-17-2010 02:20 PM

Geez Bob, it is always the one thing that you should be able to trust that is the failure. 'Till we know that, we tear apart everything else! I had a similar experience with an ECU.

Rog246 08-17-2010 02:44 PM

are you finding them helpful ?

Wodnas 08-17-2010 02:58 PM

Yes they are helpful. I obviously thought it was me and rewired the system with the same results. I have been talking with them for a couple of months trying various things without result. Finally he rang me and we ran through some tests together. He had an identical set up on his test rig whilst on the phone so he could see what should happen. He said he had not seen this problem before and must be a dud powercell.

Bob

Aussie Mike 08-17-2010 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rog246 (Post 1071937)
A question on fuel line from tank to mill & return.
Copper or al-u min-ium ?
3/8' or 1/2' ?

My thinking is 1/2 to & 3/8 from, any suggestions/recommendations will be gratefully appreciated.
Rog

Harry 100 :D

Definitely not copper, highly illegal and potentially dangerous.

Steel Bundy tube is plated against corrosion and can look sort of copper colored so might look like copper tube. This is what is used for fuel lines in production cars.

I went with aluminum hard lines for mine. Probably overkill with a 1/2" main and a 3/8" return. A 3/8" main and a 5/16" return would probably be plenty.

Cheers

byroncobra 08-17-2010 05:15 PM

i went with Warwicks stainless lines (can't remember the size) They are the correct length for his car with barbs on each end for flex line connection to tank and injection. I had to cut these off at the engine end as i went with speed flow hose and needed a different end fitting.
I was going to get them made locally but buy the time i organised the stainless tube and TIG weding it was easier and cheaper to use Warwicks.
I used bundy tube combined with some left over fuel hose for the evap fuel lines to charcoal cannister.

Rog246 08-17-2010 08:32 PM

thanks for that Mr Murphy.
I'm a bit surprised that you're not referred as SPUD though.
dare I ask why not ??

Rog

Rog246 08-17-2010 08:35 PM

Well, that's good to know Bob. At least they are trying to be real helpful, which is great.

Rog

Harry 100

Rog246 08-17-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by byroncobra (Post 1072131)
i went with Warwicks stainless lines (can't remember the size) They are the correct length for his car with barbs on each end for flex line connection to tank and injection. I had to cut these off at the engine end as i went with speed flow hose and needed a different end fitting.
I was going to get them made locally but buy the time i organised the stainless tube and TIG weding it was easier and cheaper to use Warwicks.
I used bundy tube combined with some left over fuel hose for the evap fuel lines to charcoal cannister.

Well that seems like a smart move.;)

Aussie Mike 08-17-2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rog246 (Post 1072184)
thanks for that Mr Murphy.
I'm a bit surprised that you're not referred as SPUD though.
dare I ask why not ??

Rog

I have been called Spud in the past but a lot of my friends just call me Mikey these days.

car4jim 08-17-2010 09:16 PM

I did some fluids dynamic calcs using 3/8" supply and return tube diameters and fuel flow from a KC482 and 3/8" tube is plenty big enough to minimize the pressure drop in the line.

Rog246 08-17-2010 10:02 PM

Thanks for that Jim. Appreciate the response

Rog;)