Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   radio system in a cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/10708-radio-system-cobra.html)

Alvin 09-01-2001 06:02 PM

radio system in a cobra

hello All

l was wondering how hard is it to put a radio in a cobra car and where would you put the speakers????

Bryan Wilson 09-02-2001 04:12 PM

More to the point,
where would you put the bloody big amp needed to hear the radio.
I would rather listen to the roar of the V8 myself.
Regards,
Bryan

cobish 09-02-2001 04:58 PM

radio

the sidepipes of a sroker is music:3DSMILE: :3DSMILE:

Frank Coppola 09-02-2001 06:05 PM

kinda missing the point aren't ya?

Put the money towards a bigger motor!

Kim Pallister 09-02-2001 07:02 PM

Alvin,

I'm with the other guys. When I was originally shopping around, I thought a radio would be the first additon to the car. However, after getting the car, I'd rather listen to the engine any day. Rumba-rumba-rumba BWAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!. Indeed.

I have seen a few people do it. Speaker either get mounted on the wall behind the seats (or I've seen it between the seats so it's unobstructed), or under the dash, or I've heard of slim ones put in the doors.

Do a search on secret audio, and you'll find a link to one manufacturer's radio that installs in a hidden fashion so that you have to worry less about theft.

Good luck,

K

Alvin 09-03-2001 02:26 AM

thanks all for your replies

l was just wondering if it was possible. And l agree with the rest l like the sound of the V8

Bill Wells 09-03-2001 03:38 AM

Custom Autosound makes a 'Secret Audo" am/fm stereo/cd radio that the rod boys use that hides in the trunk and is controlled by a wireless remote. they have a 'face plate' that swings down from out of sight to tell you what station etc you are on. you can get swing down speakers too that like the face plate could be out of sight when you want them, swinging down from your dash . they use fiberglass boat antennaes in trunk or in some cases under the dash too. have not seen this mounted on a Cobra but then again maybe they were 'hidden from view' and tucked up under the dash using their hinged assembly. check out the 'auto sound' website www.custom-autosound.com and select 'secretaudio'. others have mounted the radios on the Cobra dash panels and speakers underneath dash facing down and back or in back kick panels. ...my solution is cheaper and more portable , I simply use a WALKMAN ! there are times cruising in 5th gear or in slow moving traffic that one could actually here speakers / sound in my car if I had a radio...with my WALKMAN I can hear it whenever I want to drown out the exhaust and listen to a different beat. Bill.

Kim Pallister 09-03-2001 07:48 AM

A walkman with earphones?

I'm almost certain there are laws against that!

K

Bill Wells 09-03-2001 12:55 PM

probably are, but have not been stopped or scolded by the gendarmes who look over at me at a stoplight ....laws against speeding too, and they haven't caught me on that yet either..heheheh...maybe I had my walkman ear plugs on and didn't hear the siren and can't see anything out of that tiny rearview mirror anyway...ehhehe...B

750hp 09-08-2001 04:10 AM

I agree that a Cobra isn't the best platform for a quality sound system, but I still liked my system. 4 Channel amp under the passenger seat. Tweeters behind the seats (that you can see in the rear view mirror in the photo), 8" subs behind the seats, 5 1/4" mids in the kick panels. The old style 60's radio was just a face plate to give the "period" appearance, but was gutted out. A 6 disk CD shuttle controller folds down from inside the old radio, and the shuttle was mounted in the boot.
http://www.clubcobra.com/Inter1.jpg

MoonDog 09-08-2001 02:30 PM

Agree...But??

I agree with the guys...the roar of the V8 is music....but there are times that a good blast of AC/DC or the Gunners blends perfectly with the V8 ....especially cruising down the highway..

A radio system wouldn't have been my first choice, but it came with the car...with the hood off you need to turn it up very load to hear anything.....

firstly spend your money on other bits....things that make your car more drivable/enjoyable.....then think about it...

whatever's music to your ears.....:D

JetDog21 09-20-2001 12:41 PM

Boy i haven't been around here for quite a while! It's good to get back...

I think Anytime is the right time for music! While you might not hear much (if anything) over the noises from the exhaust, i'm sure there would be plenty of situations when the car is sitting idle (at a club gathering, picnic, whatever) that some tunes might be just what sets the mood.

(the mood you seek is of course up to you...)

:MECOOL: JD :MECOOL:

renaissance man 09-20-2001 12:55 PM

If you really have to have music from more than the sidepipes I'd suggest getting a portable disc player and a set of headphones and not worry about cutting up the car. You'll never hear the music clearly enough from speakers but, headphones will do the trick. Some disc players even accomodate two sets of headphones!

Ren Man

Dougie427 03-12-2002 04:53 AM

G'Day Alvin,

I love driving my Cobra and I also love my music, and since I drive my car everyday without exception, I have recently installed a sound system in my DRB Cobra, The biggest problem was getting the music over the wind noise when driving at around 110 kph....

I have a SONY Mp3/vcd player and a Clarion 6.6 inch Colour Monitor, mounted in the dashboard (The Sony is detachable & the screen slides back into the dash) it's running 10 x 9 inch speakers in the kick panels, The Kenwood Amp and the Sat Nav unit is mounted in the Boot. It's good for crusing around town ,, but on the open road when you attempt to drown out the wind noise the sound starts to distort... even at that volume I can still hear the soud of the throaty v8 under the hood.

Dougie427
:MECOOL: