Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Air bleed pipe Gen 4 (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/108757-air-bleed-pipe-gen-4-a.html)

stumpeater 01-20-2011 03:30 PM

Air bleed pipe Gen 4

On the front on the heads there is a small diameter steel pipe to bleed the air out of the heads, which goes to the header tank (on my commodore). I have copied this setup on my L98, there seems to be quite a flow of coolant thru this pipe, which makes the tank quite hot, whereas I thought is was more of a reservoir,
Does anyone know if there should be some sort of restrictor on the flow, so that it keeps flow to a minimum? Thanks :confused:

sambo 01-20-2011 04:22 PM

Hi Peter. I have an urestricted rubber hose from the bleeder to my header tank but I haven't run the car for more than 5 mins at idle, so it's hard to say. Have you actually measured the temp of the header tank and compared it to the Commodore? Could it be that you have a metal header tank in the Cobra (better conductor) and plastic in the Commodore, hence the temp difference? Or is the Cobra running hot, fan temps wrong...?

boxhead 01-20-2011 06:57 PM

Pretty sure there is no restrictor.

Gav 01-21-2011 11:45 PM

Yep, no restrictor, the small diameter pipe is the restriction.
You don't need to have it going through the throttle body however. This is just for quick warm up in frozen conditions, and probably doesnt help with air temps!

Modena 01-22-2011 12:03 AM

throttle body bypass mod of water is a common mod in the LSx world

stumpeater 01-22-2011 02:02 AM

Thanks Guys:)

Tenrocca 01-22-2011 03:13 AM

My tank is inline between engine and rad, the steam pipe feeds into that, but it constantly has coolant running through it, so not an issue with thus setup. Hope I explained that ok. :)