Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Do you run a front sway bar? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/109651-do-you-run-front-sway-bar.html)

Donunder 03-16-2011 07:08 AM

Do you run a front sway bar?

I'm planning on doing a front end transplant using one of these, seeing the Arntz was originally made with an MG front suspension. They're made 51" wide for MG V8 conversions, and 53" for Arntz/Butler upgrades.

http://www.fastcarsinc.com/ifs.htm

I currently have a front sway bar but this new front end doesn't come with one.
Just interested -- who's car has a front sway bar? Is it adjustable? Have you tried going without it?

And for those with Jaguar rear ends, do you run a rear sway bar?

CobraEd 03-16-2011 07:14 AM

Took it off. Car runs better without it.

undy 03-16-2011 08:15 AM

Put a front and a rear (Speedway) bar. It wallowed like a pig without them.

Jerry Clayton 03-16-2011 09:18 AM

about the only situation of when a sway bar causes wierd handling is when the corner wts of the car aren't balance and then one way it helps a tiny little bit and turns the other way are near accidents----The issue of proper suspension needs to have corner weights balanced-( unless running a track where different offsets/rates would help times)

Z-linkCobra 03-16-2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by undy (Post 1116612)
Put a front and a rear (Speedway) bar. It wallowed like a pig without them.

A little heavier spring probably would have helped.

FWB 03-16-2011 10:27 AM

no sway bar.....mustang II front end w\ coilovers

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...logoOUTLIN.jpg

Jerry Clayton 03-16-2011 10:42 AM

The Pinto/Mustang II front ends are not exactly high performance handling front suspension systems so with/without sway bars probably doesn't add a lot to the handling of the car. However they are noted for anti dive in braking and pretty well bumpsteer free if mounted close to stock levels/lengths of control arms

Cobra446 03-16-2011 10:51 AM

Have both front and rear on my ERA and car handles perfectly at any speed!

FWB 03-16-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton (Post 1116648)
The Pinto/Mustang II front ends are not exactly high performance handling front suspension systems so with/without sway bars probably doesn't add a lot to the handling of the car. However they are noted for anti dive in braking and pretty well bumpsteer free if mounted close to stock levels/lengths of control arms

wow didn't realize we were criticizing every ones front end, thought the thread was a simple question of who was running a sway bar, i am simply not running a sway bar and its rather pertinent what front end i have being the originator of the thread is going from a MG type suspension. since i obviously have a substandard suspension compared to the MG or the race proven(cough !!) jaguar suspension. i guess the whole street rod and performance market is simply wrong to be using mustang II...

by the way...we are building replica's.......we are driving them on the street. the 1950's frame technology on our vehicles certainly will not be overshadowed by a mustang suspension or the MG type. before you over reach either suspensions capabilities your frame will be twisting....

ok my rant is over....

DANGER 03-16-2011 11:28 AM

I upgraded my Suspension to QA-1 and 500# coils then add Cobra Valley's sway bars.

What a difference that made.

Also made a $2,000.00 hole in my pocket :)

Jerry Clayton 03-16-2011 11:32 AM

FWB

I wasn't criticizing YOUR front end---I have used several Pinto/MII front end type suspensions on various vehicles that I have built. The MII has one of the best for anti dive braking AND bump steer.

However---If your frame is twisting---maybe you need a sway (anti-roll) bar!!!

FWB 03-16-2011 11:51 AM

jerry, your light everette may get twisted up, but look at a pic of a kellison frame, i could run head on into a semi truck and i think the truck would have more damage. i weigh in at 3250 lbs.......there are even crash support bars in the doors, 2 @1x2 inch steel

1985 CCX 03-16-2011 12:07 PM

Yes, both front and back sway bars and they are fixed w/o adjustment.

Z-linkCobra 03-16-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton (Post 1116648)

Only with the proper springs. Put a light spring in the front and that thing will dive like crazy without a sway bar.

I think alot of guys over look that fact early on. They blame the lack of of a sway bar on the front end diving down....not the light springs.

I am going to run a MustangII on my EM, no sway bar and I ordered 600# springs for it. I dont plan on racing it other than a little street racing..(shhhh). There is alot more to setting up a front end than just a sway bar and springs. Like Jerry said...if your corner weights arent right your gonna have problems no matter what you do.

Donunder, try it without and make a few spring changes. Alot of guys run them on hotrods without sway bars.

Just my 2 cents worth.

CowtownCobra 03-16-2011 04:12 PM

Drove many miles/years with no sway bars. Handling was good. Added a light (5/8") sway bar in front and it made an improvement. I'd now rather have it than not.

Don't get carried away with heavy bars for street driving though, you will end up taking them off.

LoBelly 03-16-2011 09:57 PM

I am running Jag front and rear and have swaybars on both (currently).

At the last few ShelbyFests my car has done multiple duty - it turns out that I like it more with the rear swaybar on and my brother does not.

2009 - no rear swaybar
Me 1:39.4
Pete 1:43.x (Probably not trying that hard..)

2010 - with rear swaybar
Me 1:39.4
Pete 1:40.0

LoBelly