Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Funny thing happened at engineering the other day (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/112087-funny-thing-happened-engineering-other-day.html)

T.L. 08-13-2011 01:27 AM

Funny thing happened at engineering the other day

Guys,

Car is currently going through engineering and they were doing the brake tests when 'bang'. Upon inspection it was revealed that the axle had split at the diff end in the CV and the long half was turning with the wheel.

Doug got the car to his place and had a look and we found that a bolt holding the diff had torn through the material holding it in place. This in turn allowed the axle to split at the CV due to the extra length it all of a sudden had.

No damage was done to the axle as it was put back together with some new grease after a clean out and inspection. Now working on strengthening up this area with a beefed up plate etc.......

The fun never stops!!!

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/u...diff_1_web.jpg

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/u...diff_2_web.jpg

Merv and Sharon 08-13-2011 01:38 AM

That must have been exciting. Was that the rubber doughnut, (there are two) at the nose of the diff? If so replace them with solid alloy ones. You have a lot of torque there.

aussiecoupe 08-13-2011 02:36 AM

bang

That is not a Nissan IRS set Merv . Matreial a bit light for the 6L supercharger i think .

T.L. 08-13-2011 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiecoupe (Post 1145712)
That is not a Nissan IRS set Merv . Matreial a bit light for the 6L supercharger i think .

Yes, that's what were thinking, and have re-designed something using 6mm steel to take the place of the 1.5ishmm used there.

It may have been pulling it up when it was strapped down to the dyno, as there is no where for the diff to move as suspension is tight and through the tests etc.... it got weak and then decided it had had enough and went bang. No damage was done though, so it will come back rebuilt and stronger etc,...... just like the 6 million dollar man!!!!.

Getting near to it being completed. :3DSMILE:

Mrs flatchat 08-13-2011 02:54 AM

Yeah - that wouldn't have happened if you'd used a Ford engine :LOL:

T.L. 08-13-2011 03:11 AM

Funny thing is that the diff is the only Ford part, (and the charcoal canister and steering column but they are small items compared to the diff), in the car and it didn't want to be in there!!!!.

David Hodgson 08-14-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs flatchat (Post 1145715)

Correct - if it were a Ford, you would have known to build it stronger in the first place

Tenrocca 08-14-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs flatchat (Post 1145715)

Not sure your making the point you think you are there Eve? :)

Mrs flatchat 08-15-2011 06:21 AM

The suggested point --perhaps -- That the ford would have broken itself before damaging anything else:LOL: -- or, if not itself, then it didn't have enough grunt to break anything either:rolleyes:
All in jest tho --based on grenaded Windsors in Qld over the last 12 months or so.........

Wazza 08-15-2011 02:14 PM

Thanks for the "Heads Up" TL

I've got the same rear end going into the new Cobra...( Ford Thunderbird IRS )
I see the problem , and have taken some steps to re-enforce the area.

Under load, the front of the diff PULLS UP, and the back PUSHES down....and the ORIGINAL set up for these Ford Thunderbird rear ends probably had the mounting points ABOVE the front of the diff, so under load it would be PUSHING against the mounting.

In any case.....some extra plating in that area will do the job.

Cheers,
Warren.

David Hodgson 08-15-2011 03:16 PM

C'mon Eve, I know one in a little red DRB that seems bullet proof

David Hodgson 08-15-2011 03:26 PM

C'mon Eve, I know one in a little red DRB that seems bullet proof

Wazza 08-15-2011 04:55 PM

David...

I'm not sure if you know....but I'm pretty sure you're chatting with Chris...not Yve.
Chris is the stirrer in the family !!

Cheers,
Warren.

David Hodgson 08-15-2011 06:06 PM

Waz, I thought it was a strange post for Yve.

Hi Chris, have you got to wear a skirt to use Yve's login?

You coming to Goulburn? Might see you there.

Cheers

T.L. 08-17-2011 11:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Heres the guilty bit taken out from the car for all to see. Apparently Warwick is looking into it.