Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   LS3 throttle body measurement (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/112979-ls3-throttle-body-measurement.html)

sideshow 10-20-2011 01:35 PM

I have an ls3 butterfly if u want one
I mainly use it for testing looks before I send em out
Give me 150 bucks plus your throttle body

sideshow 10-20-2011 01:59 PM

I have an ls3 butterfly if u want one
I mainly use it for testing looks before I send em out
Give me 150 bucks plus your throttle body

Doubledip 10-20-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedn (Post 1157558)
I hope i have the correct ECU. I was told it was out of an LS3 with securities removed.

I was told this TB is also off an LS3.

Does this sound correct? Is there a number on the ECU to look for?

Service # 12625455

or

Service # 12633238

not sure what you paid for your throttle body but might be something worth considering getting the one of Jim... just be very careful about heat near the butterfly as they warp real easy.. has seen heaps of shops try and modify them (some successful , others not).. plus be very careful with the solder/ rivet ideas... i wouldnt want to go dropping anything into the intake of my car while running..

Baz 10-20-2011 04:46 PM

Doubledip,

Hi Justin,

I sent you a PM yesterday. Did you get it?

Baz

boxhead 10-20-2011 04:56 PM

Zedn, Why not remove the butterfly and measure it?

I am sure if you did a Google search you will find a seller of blade only?

I am thinking it is 90mm?

I have a couple of LS1 throttle bodies kicking around, not sure if you can make this work?

Aussie Mike 10-20-2011 06:11 PM

If its Brass can be easily soldered but Why not just try it out before doing anything?

Gav 10-20-2011 10:38 PM

Worse case, just tap the hole and put a very flat machine screw in it, and file it flush on the other side.
If you are not planning on rebuilding the engine as an all out racer, the tiny bit of turbulence the screw creates will not do FA.
LS1's have a throttle body 15mm smaller than a LS3 and they will still flow 400hp.

sideshow 10-21-2011 12:01 AM

Personally I would just ask on ls1 forums
For another one or a swap
I would never risk a 6 grand motor because I
fitted a screw or solder to the butterfly
And it went threw the motor

boxhead 10-21-2011 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sideshow (Post 1157674)
Personally I would just ask on ls1 forums
For another one or a swap
I would never risk a 6 grand motor because I
fitted a screw or solder to the butterfly
And it went threw the motor

I would prefer to see it replaced.

Gav 10-21-2011 12:13 AM

Is it only me or is the butterfly held on with machine screws?

Maybe GM and every other engine manufacturer through out history has made a monumental design blunder?
Thanks for saving us all Sideshow!

Zedn 10-21-2011 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubledip (Post 1157565)
Service # 12625455

or

Service # 12633238

not sure what you paid for your throttle body but might be something worth considering getting the one of Jim... just be very careful about heat near the butterfly as they warp real easy.. has seen heaps of shops try and modify them (some successful , others not).. plus be very careful with the solder/ rivet ideas... i wouldnt want to go dropping anything into the intake of my car while running..

its 12612384

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d�r

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d�r

sideshow 10-21-2011 11:17 PM

That number is for an 08 ish motor

I always trust everything I read on eBay
Hehehehe

I would send the person an email and ask what year is the tune
In it
Also ask him what butterfly u should use
Let's hope they know their **** cause a lot out there don't

I have a std silver butterfly and a std brass butterfly throttle bodies
But after tomorrow I can't access them for 2 weeks as they are in a container
Up to qld

Zedn 10-21-2011 11:30 PM

Im a long way off yet. When the time comes i will plug it in and see what happens. %/

sideshow 10-21-2011 11:55 PM

Cool
If u have wrong throttle body to the ecu u prob won't
Notice much till u give it a lot of throttle on the road
So just finish it and take for drive then worry then

Hopefully things will be easier to get registered by then
Hehehe