Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Windsor for Victorian emission requirements (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/113188-windsor-victorian-emission-requirements.html)

oilman 11-05-2011 02:41 AM

Windsor for Victorian emission requirements

I am about to place an order for a kit and have to make my mind up on what engine I want to run so the correct mounts are fitted. Being a Ford man from way back the 6.2L Chev isn't an option. I'm thinking a injected windsor would be a good option and I understand that it should meet the Victorian emission requirements. I'm interested to know if anyone has any recent experience with this option and were there any issues to be aware of?:confused:

Modena 11-05-2011 03:37 AM

hello oilman and welcome to the forum.

I'm not a Ford man, but I think Coyote would be the way to go if Blue oval is your thing, if it will fit and is within the budget.

To pass Vic reg (engineering) your Cobra will need to pass the IM240 test. This test does not care what motor you use so long as you pass the test. (yes, even carb big blocks are allowed, good luck getting that to pass though).

So....if you use the correct combination of motor, injection and tune, I would think an injected late-model Windsor should pass. However, you need to talk to an accrediated VASS engineer.

SNIP FROM: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...v-exec-sum.pdf

IM-240 - Modified IM240 (Inspection & Maintenance) Test Procedure
This test is based on the first four minutes of the FTP (ADR37/00)
cycle but only covers about 2km total distance. Emission results are
converted to grams per kilometre for HC, CO and NOx.

What kit are you ordering?

Ben

Merv and Sharon 11-05-2011 03:54 AM

Good advice and good choice. With an advanced injection system and proper setup a Windsor c/should pass. In QLD we don't seem to have a problem (some pics in my gallery) but each State is different.

oilman 11-05-2011 02:48 PM

Thanks for your feedback. I'm looking at a Classic Revival and Ian advises that neither the 5.4 (not a motor I'm keen on anyway) or the Coyote will fit his chassis. I'll investigate either a 347 stroker or a 351.

Merv and Sharon 11-05-2011 02:55 PM

Must be chassis or frame differences. The modular Fords fit in the Harrison's.

stephen low 11-05-2011 04:46 PM

Welcome Oilman

Shame the Coyote doesn't fit that would be the Ford bang for buck motor but perhape then laying your hands on the last AU 250 motor would be the go as a standard build stroker.

But then even earlier series motors would also be suitable and cheaper and if you are going to pull it appart and rebuild then it doesn't too much matter.

Be wary of what cats you use as the modern ones are designed for low emission motors and so give less protection over some of the older cats designed to manage the higher emission levels allowed of cars of the time.

Beyond that enjoy the ride.

Steve

DaveW 11-05-2011 05:43 PM

Oilman,
Coyote motor wont fit between foot boxes on CR, donk is 915mm width, CR has only 700mm clearance, ok for older ford donks and GM, (about 650mm width).
I originally wanted to fit 2010 GT500 engine, but altering the footbox clearance by 110mm either side seriously affected steering colomn mounting, so decided no go.
cheers
Dave

Mando 11-05-2011 08:36 PM

Hi DaveW, do you have any updates to your build? I'm really looking forward to seeing your progress!

Regards.

BMK 11-06-2011 12:40 PM

Mmmm the CR kit is certainly limiting it's engine options. Must be affecting sales I would have thought.

Gav 11-06-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMK (Post 1160097)
Mmmm the CR kit is certainly limiting it's engine options. Must be affecting sales I would have thought.

Only for those wanting boat anchors in the engine bay. :)

sambo 11-06-2011 05:02 PM

I was told that a late model 5.0L Ford engine should get through now, since they reverted the IM240 back to the older (lower) pass levels. Again, engine tune and cats also play a big part.

stephen low 11-06-2011 05:17 PM

Thought the IM240 reversion would potentially allow any of the fuel injected Windsor series into play provided tune and cats ensured emission level achievement.

Oilman

Get onto a reputable VASS engineer you would use for your build and get the true skinny on what is required. This forum is great and accurate when someone has been through a process recently but with time the requirements can change and forum advice may become less accurate.

Steve