Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Vic Roads record keeping (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/113999-vic-roads-record-keeping.html)

750hp 01-16-2012 04:31 AM

Vic Roads record keeping

Does anyone know if Vic Roads have the ability to cross-reference kit car manufacturer's chassis numbers to the VIN that is subsequently issued?

(In case you're wondering, I hope they can. I'm not trying to do anything dodgy!)

If they can, is there any way to request this information?

gjkrv8 01-16-2012 12:28 PM

Craig,

When I registered my Cobra in 2008 they didnt record the CR kit chassis no so I dont think they care. All they care about is the VIN stamped on the chassis and the engine no.

Rgds

Gregg

750hp 01-16-2012 12:37 PM

Thanks Gregg. One step before that though, I guess/hope they would have noted the manufacturers chassis number when the VIN was issued.

gjkrv8 01-16-2012 12:55 PM

Craig, I just now had a quick look at my Vic Roads VASS Approval Certificate and that doesnt seem to have the CR chassis on it either. Although I would say the Engineers Report possibly would have it. Not sure though that Vic Roads would enter that data in any searchable database.

Rgds

Gregg

750hp 01-16-2012 01:25 PM

OK mate, that helps a lot. Thanks for checking.

sambo 01-16-2012 02:40 PM

I thought this thread might be about the recent changes concerning roadworthy certificates in Vic. As it's a related topic perhaps we can continue the thread?

We've just put a 4WD on the market and when I inquired about a RWC through our mechanic I was told that the cost has increased to $180. Vicroads changed the requirements last Sept and now require the roadworthy tester to document the car with photographs.

Sounds like they're trying to clamp down on dodgy roadworthies by putting the onus back on the vehicle tester.

Does anyone have any further info?

Modena 01-16-2012 03:35 PM

I would doubt Vicroads would document the chassis number - all they care about is the VIN (and engine number) - until the car has a VIN, its not a car in their eyes, and once it has the VIN then it's the VIN which the car lives and dies by.

gjkrv8 01-16-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sambo (Post 1171161)
I thought this thread might be about the recent changes concerning roadworthy certificates in Vic. As it's a related topic perhaps we can continue the thread?

We've just put a 4WD on the market and when I inquired about a RWC through our mechanic I was told that the cost has increased to $180. Vicroads changed the requirements last Sept and now require the roadworthy tester to document the car with photographs.

Sounds like they're trying to clamp down on dodgy roadworthies by putting the onus back on the vehicle tester.

Does anyone have any further info?

Hi Paul, This development might be quite recent as my son bought an XR ute in July last year and it look like the standard RWC paperwork - didnt see any photos. But maybe as we didnt get the Roadworty we didnt see the photos etc.

I remember though Bernie said with ICVs there was going to be a requirement for photos to stop people "enhancing" their vehicle post VASS eng etc.

Rgds

gregg

sambo 01-16-2012 10:50 PM

Hi Gregg, I believe these measures were introduced last September.

I've been told all along (going on 5 years) about the requirement for photos to be taken of the build - both to prove that the person presenting the car to VicRoads actually constructed it, and also as you say to document the state of the car at the time of registration.

In terms of getting a RWC for normal cars, the higher cost must be for the workshop to take the photos and presumably send them to VicRoads for safe keeping, along with any extra paperwork under the new scheme.

I just can't see how photos are going to capture bald tyres, windscreen scratches, frayed seat belts and all the potential things that you could get done for.

Perhaps it's VicRoads attempt to "keep the b@stards honest" :confused: