Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Quickest cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/11682-quickest-cobra.html)

cob460 10-15-2001 08:39 PM

Quickest cobra

who out there has Australis`s quickest road registerd cobra, some of you guys must have a car or a friend who`s been down the quarter mile and has the proof. have we a nine second cobra out there among you, we have a ten second cobra from Tom price in WA, it will be at willowbank this weekend ,go have a look. P S its a drb. mick.

750hp 10-15-2001 10:18 PM

Mick, Tony O'Connor (TOCA Automotive) at Slacks Creek has an RMC with a stroker Yates head 378 cube cleveland, Oliver billet rods, BG carb, Gonzo system. He only ran the car at one test and tune. 11.1 @126mph BACKWARDS. Sliding through the finish line with all tyres locked up and smoking and STILL running 126mph would have to make it one of the more impressive Cobras out there!

There's a 408 cube Harrison Cobra in Brisbane that also ran 126mph last time up at Willowbank. Traction problems meant a low 12 was his best time though.

A twin turbo quad cam Lexus V8 Cobra will run some big numbers if the owner goes ahead and fits some larger turbos. It's now painted a flip-flop colour with a new interior and I'm told it looks outstanding.

Mine will hopefully run some good numbers when it's finished. We might even turn the boost up when it's on the Superflow to see if we can get a 4 digit HP reading:3DSMILE:

Craig

cob460 10-16-2001 08:42 PM

craig hi , yeah Rob Armstrong has a cobra with problems leaving the line hence the good mile per hour but slower et 10.6 @131mph, small block chevy iron heads victor manifold dominator carb auto 9inch few other goodies, very easy to drive on the street , i was with him the other night, scared me ,when he stood on its dick and was trying to keep it straight at 100mph , he has made a few changes for tonight (wed drags)but the rain might beat him ,have to wait till saturday to see if he can improve. mick.

750hp 10-17-2001 05:08 AM

Mick, the rain sure stuffed things for the Wed. night meeting... Apparently a number of the Melbourne drug dealers (oops, I meant rotary drag racers) were bringing a couple of transporters up for the Wednesday night practice!!!

I might see you up there on Saturday. I'll be up there with a 500 cube 65 SS Impala. He's about 1500lb too heavy to be competitive, but to see a full size Impala running low 11s (high 10s? on street tyres with no nitrous is pretty cool.

See you,
Craig

CobraEd 10-17-2001 05:16 AM

The pro NHRA guys should make a nitro funny car Cobra. Then the fastes Cobra would run in the mid 4's at 325mph.

Ed

750hp 10-19-2001 04:15 AM

Ed,
John Force is already running a handful of cars. Go and propose the Cobra to him - one more in his stable can't hurt...

Mick,
There are a couple more Qlders with some interesting cars being built at the moment. There's an SVO siamese bore block 426 cube windsor on the go with solid roller, Vic Jr heads, Super Victor manifold, injected etc etc. This is going into a Robnell.

A lightweight RMC is nearly finished with a 377 stroker with a T-Trim Vortech, Motec, Yates heads, large air/air intercooler. He's aiming for a genuine 550hp at the wheels (on a dyno dynamics dyno - these give a lower power reading than the U.S. dynojet dynos) Looking at coming in around 1000kg wet, this is about 200kg less than many RMCs.

There are a number of completed supercharged Cobras in the club, but I haven't heard of any representative times or speeds from them. If a near standard Mustang in the States can run low 12s with just an S-Trim Vortech, then any supercharged Cobra would want to be running low 11s/high 10s in a similar state of tune. Geez, my old Falcon with a MILD big block can run high 11s on 235 street tyres, and it weighs 1795kgs!!!

My Cobra is being built more for handling than 1/4 mile traction, but I'm expecting some decent terminal speeds nonetheless. You can draw a pretty accurate link between terminal speeds and horsepower (and I'm not even a mechanical engineer;) ), and I'll stand by what my dyno sheets and terminal speeds eventually show. Who knows, I could be setting myself up for huge disappointment and ridicule. This is all part of the fun of building the car - the anticipation!!

See you at the Street Car Shootout this weekend,
Craig