Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Soft Top Windows (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/121789-soft-top-windows.html)

schipps 08-13-2013 12:14 PM

Soft Top Windows

Hi all, i have just had my soft top made and we are at a standstill on how to attach the windows to the windscreen.

So over to you guys and girls, if you have any, can you please attach photos on how your upholsterer attached the windows to the windscreen i.e. channel, clips...whatever...

I am talking about "soft" type zip in windows that attach by zip to the soft top itself.

regards

Mick

BMK 08-13-2013 04:42 PM

Mine just fold in once closed.

Grubby 08-13-2013 05:03 PM

Why won't the OEM type work?

John

schipps 08-14-2013 01:57 AM

soft top windows

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grubby (Post 1257333)
Why won't the OEM type work?

John

John,

what OEM ones??

Mick

schipps 08-14-2013 01:58 AM

Soft top windows

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMK (Post 1257331)
Mine just fold in once closed.

Bernie,

Yes, but how are they attached to the windscreen? Or do they just flap at the front???

Mick

07cob 08-14-2013 03:53 AM

Mick

A bit hard without a photo but mine attach to the soft top with a zip which runs to the top of the windscreen and at the bottom there is a tab that attaches to a press stud on the outside of the windscreen escutcheon. Between the top and the bottom, the window extends forward enough to tuck inside the screen. I didn't think it would be much good but appears reasonably stable. If that doesn't make sense, I'll grab a photo tomorrow.

Geof

schipps 08-14-2013 12:04 PM

attachment?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 07cob (Post 1257372)
Mick

A bit hard without a photo but mine attach to the soft top with a zip which runs to the top of the windscreen and at the bottom there is a tab that attaches to a press stud on the outside of the windscreen escutcheon. Between the top and the bottom, the window extends forward enough to tuck inside the screen. I didn't think it would be much good but appears reasonably stable. If that doesn't make sense, I'll grab a photo tomorrow.

Geof

Geof,

Long time no see mate!
Thanks for the explanation, a photo would also be great if not too much trouble?

thanks Geof.

regards
Mick

Grubby 08-14-2013 02:06 PM

OE style windows are held to the door with two or 3 pins and open with the door.

John

David Hodgson 08-14-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grubby (Post 1257447)
OE style windows are held to the door with two or 3 pins and open with the door.

John

These are the hard framed perspex sliders, Schipps has soft zip in type

BMK 08-15-2013 03:05 AM

Sorry,

Yes, mine are attached with three pins into the door. When the door opens they open with it.

Flat piece of metal along the door with three pins. Tube frame around the outer edge. All covered in quality English vinyl as original - sourced ex Healey cars.

I have a hard plastic strip sewn into the material around above the tube frame. This is quite strong and does not flap.

When the door closes I just pull the leading front edge in behind the window post. Even in heavy rain it does not let water in.

schipps 08-15-2013 05:18 AM

Soft top windows

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMK (Post 1257509)
Sorry,

Yes, mine are attached with three pins into the door. When the door opens they open with it.

Flat piece of metal along the door with three pins. Tube frame around the outer edge. All covered in quality English vinyl as original - sourced ex Healey cars.

I have a hard plastic strip sewn into the material around above the tube frame. This is quite strong and does not flap.

When the door closes I just pull the leading front edge in behind the window post. Even in heavy rain it does not let water in.

Thanks Bernie, but i am after info on the soft zip in windows, not the hard framed ones.

Mick

CHANMADD 08-15-2013 10:16 AM

Ok..........I made mine like yours........originally I used Velcro.....the soft side , I used a strong contact glue , trimmed fit the inside of the windshield post. The other side of the Velcro....the rough side....I stitched to the side window.........When you open the door you unzip from the back and the Velcro stays connected...Been over 100 mph.. many times.....stays put and remains water tight.....got to seal the posts where they go through the cowl......

BMK 08-15-2013 10:19 AM

Mick

Aaaah - makes sense.

However, the frames allow you to run side curtains without the top on - just a consideration as I have used mine without the top on cold sunny mornings.:MECOOL:

Also they don't flap around all...%/

Try Rob H. member of the Victorian Cobra Club, as he has made a number of sets including the zip in roll up type and frame types.

CHANMADD 08-15-2013 12:31 PM

Yea ...i would prefer the framed side windows.......I just dont like the holes in the door.......also the soft ones store easily too......

07cob 08-18-2013 02:26 AM

Photos

Mick

Sorry for the delay ... uploading photos from iPad is a pain (read not possible!)

Here is a couple of images that show how the window attaches at the front:

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/pehoto.JPG

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/photeo.JPG

There are a few more photos of the window in my gallery.

Hope this helps

Geof

BMK 08-18-2013 09:08 AM

Geof

I was just looking through your gallery. Yes the way you have done the side curtains is a neat option. Probably meets Micks needs for sure.

I have my side curtains as a solid flat storage option in a small bag and the hood bows in another so the soft folding option was not required.

schipps 08-18-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 07cob (Post 1257952)
Mick

Sorry for the delay ... uploading photos from iPad is a pain (read not possible!)

Here is a couple of images that show how the window attaches at the front:

There are a few more photos of the window in my gallery.

Hope this helps

Geof

Geof,

Excellent, thanks. Will show them to the upholsterer.

regards

Mick

dc7531 08-19-2013 03:13 AM

Mick,

Hope all is well, it's been a while since catching up but I managed to break my leg at work last month and have been laid up since then (another 4 weeks to go), haven't been able to drive the Cobra since June but can now manage the accelerator and brake pedal again.

I have just taken a few shots of the soft top I had made up fyi, the main roof incorporates narrow side sections that attach to the windscreen frame, the side windows then zip to those pieces, works well even at speed (btw I had to attach the clamp to the windscreen frame rather than the soft top due to limited space on the channel)

Hope to catch up soon.

Derek

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...ictureid=10658
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...ictureid=10661
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...ictureid=10659

schipps 08-19-2013 04:20 AM

[quote=dc7531;1258191]Mick,

Hope all is well, it's been a while since catching up but I managed to break my leg at work last month and have been laid up since then (another 4 weeks to go), haven't been able to drive the Cobra since June but can now manage the accelerator and brake pedal again.

I have just taken a few shots of the soft top I had made up fyi, the main roof incorporates narrow side sections that attach to the windscreen frame, the side windows then zip to those pieces, works well even at speed (btw I had to attach the clamp to the windscreen frame rather than the soft top due to limited space on the channel)

Hope to catch up soon.

Derek

Derek,

Hope the leg heals well mate!

Thanks for the info and photos of how you attached the windows to the soft top.
Many thanks
Enjoy the break...

regards
Mick.