Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Which immobiliser? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/122543-immobiliser.html)

Modena 09-26-2013 08:07 PM

Which immobiliser?

Does anyone have any recommendations for/against any particular type or model of immobiliser/alarm? There seems to be quite a few options on ebay ranging from $99 - $300, are any better than others?

Ben

Gav 09-26-2013 08:59 PM

I used a 'rhinoco' unit in mine.
Seems to work ok but it's a PIA resetting it when ever you want to start the car after you have stopped it for a couple of minutes though!

Bod 09-26-2013 11:32 PM

I have a Mongoose M25 no complaints so far
Jeff

stephen low 09-27-2013 01:47 AM

Mongoose in mine too and definitively no issues when the car was working but that was quite a while back now - lol

sideshow 09-27-2013 06:21 AM

Don't buy an eBay one
Alarms have a bad habit of fking up so eBay one makes it hard to return
Just find a momgoose dealer maybe
Or even ask your car insurance company who they recommend using

Rob. Smith 09-27-2013 07:08 AM

yep got a rhino they are really good on service..sent me another after the original failed no charge. simple install and lots of "features" if you want !

sideshow 09-27-2013 01:34 PM

u also need to check your insurance company
most these days want a triple cut which is abit of a pain
just means more things to fk up
I don't fit alarms anymore but I do remove and throw out about 5 or so a year
I hate the buggers but u need to have one for insurance reasons that's y I try to tell customer sometimes its easier to fit immobiliser that comes with ecu but that's abit harder these days with the l98s

Treeve 09-28-2013 02:37 AM

You also need some form of immobiliser for ADR compliance, so it's best to find one that's got Australian Standards approval - the Rhino and Mongoose units mentioned so far have this, so no worries there.

I'm planning on fitting a mongoose, since I know a distributor and want to support him, not someone on eBay.

Treeve

sideshow 09-28-2013 02:53 AM

rhino is good aussie brand but some don't have triple cut
as ive been saying please ask your insurance company first
some will say u need to run a certain type as they are ones who are insuring your car

Zedn 09-28-2013 02:57 PM

Mongoose m80 series look good. 3 point immobiliser and microwave sensor option. Around $200 plus another $50 for microwave sensor.

Anyone using microwave sensors on theirs? Seems like the best way to catch unwanted hands reaching in!

Zedn 09-28-2013 03:16 PM

Other option is Rhino Rav3 basically the same as the Mongoose but has some extra features like headlights on for 15 seconds when armed.

I just looked on ebay and the Rav3 was up on special for $149.

stephen low 09-28-2013 04:47 PM

Zedn

I got the sensor but found it didn't react soon enough for my liking if I recall rightly.

However it certainly does work as a cabin area access detection mechanism.

If you are thinking that option and looking to buy a sensor PM first as I'll sell the unit I have, assuming I can find it again.

Cheers

Steve

Zedn 09-28-2013 06:52 PM

Pm sent

gjkrv8 09-29-2013 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gav (Post 1264730)
I used a 'rhinoco' unit in mine.
Seems to work ok but it's a PIA resetting it when ever you want to start the car after you have stopped it for a couple of minutes though!

Same here. Has lots of options too. cheers Gregg

Rog246 09-29-2013 01:26 AM

I find that the Glock 9MM if used correctly is a very effective immobiliser. Once you pull the slide back and the system is armed (ohh that IS a good pun) it works a treat even from 100 mtrs away. It can be a bit noisy in some circumstances though, that being said everyone in the near vicinity seems to become very alert and for some reason the police turn up quite quickly without being called !!:eek: :LOL:

letsboogie351 09-29-2013 03:09 PM

I don't like the unwanted police attention so I went with a unit that is not quite as effective as the Glock.

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps07cc5be3.jpg

Rog246 09-29-2013 06:44 PM

That's not a bad model. The only issue with that particular model, if of the M variety, in my experience is that if someone introduces an F model in the near vicinity that is in heat mode, the M model starts to have interference issues and has been known to stop working efficiently. :LOL: