Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By TheDoc
  • 3 Post By 400TT
  • 1 Post By sambo

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 03:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: PACE427 under construction
Not Ranked     
Default Emissions compliant crate engines

I thought I'd put this out there particularly to the QLD members

I was wondering whether there were any crate engine suppliers out of California (as I'd heard that they had strict emissions testing in this state) who could supply acceptable emissions data to enable Aust and particularly QLD registration.

Obviously up here in QLD where individual engine testing is not a requirement, engineers can sign off on engines that have documentation supporting their compliance as they left the factory.

Does anyone know how ADR 37/01 compares to American standards - these guys I contacted in California use all "smog legal" components and all engines come with a CARB compliant smog legal sticker - see below.

"Just as an example here is the 347 we supply with that comes with a CARB compliant smog legal sticker issued from the state.. CHP Street Fighter Short Block - Ford 347 Reverse Dome -14.2cc

There are parts that come smog legal and specific so you do not fail emissions test.. Obviously the block will pass inspectors won’t know what’s in it. Heads are the same there are smog legal aftermarket heads and same for the cam and intake. So as long as we build it with all smog legal/ CARB complaint parts. We will be ok.."
itempany likes this.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427SC 482 Cammer
Not Ranked     

Here ya go Doc, by the time you dress that other one it'll cost the same.

You know you want one.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...m50s/overview/

Old 06-28-2014, 12:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Its tempting.

That pictured BOSS intake is more attractive than the standard coyote. Im not sure that pictured engine is available anymore - and more like $12,000 if I could still get my hands on one.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

TheDoc, ADR 37/01 is same as US 1983 emissions. So anything that meets 1983 and later USA emissions is compliant for us here. We have official Australian EPA and Australian Federal Automotive Industry documents that provide clear documentation of this. We provide this to engineers that require this evidence.

The 347ci engine you posted would be accepted as emissions compliant in QLD if you fitted 50 states legal heads and a 50 states legal intake and matching ecu. Just make sure you get the manufacturers paperwork with it. Lots of people have gone this way.

We would recommend using 351 family, it is just as compliant and you are in a much bigger family than can go 427ci and further. And the PACE 427 has an engine bay perfect for a larger small block Ford like this.

The Coyote is a totally different engine type with different pros and cons. We also support it.
Tonus72, d488y2 and Russell9318 like this.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doc, there's quite a few places advertising them around that mark so I m sure it wouldn't run out to $12,000.00.

Just make sure you get someone trust worthy on the freight.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[/url]

Then dress it up.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by damage View Post
[/url]

Then dress it up.
Damage - You seemingly are dying to get a coyote in your car.
When you do, I know where the queue will start and end for your Cammer.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427S, Coyote Aluminator
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc View Post
Its tempting.

That pictured BOSS intake is more attractive than the standard coyote. Im not sure that pictured engine is available anymore - and more like $12,000 if I could still get my hands on one.
The Boss Coyote is definitely still available but check the prices as they vary quite a lot but are not 6 1/2 grand.

The Coyote can be dressed up with nice coil covers and a bit of a paint job on the engine cover or just wack on an 8 Stack and be done with it. 450HP and no emissions problems.

Cheers

Russell
Old 06-28-2014, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Damage - You seemingly are dying to get a coyote in your car.
When you do, I know where the queue will start and end for your Cammer.
So do I Dimis, and I know you're second in line...!!!
Old 06-28-2014, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think the cammer is well and truly wedged into my engine bay for awhile.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: venom motorsports /ls1 auto
Not Ranked     

so no ls motor for you damage
eheheh
Old 07-07-2014, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Im a real novice when it comes to engine setups - been researching for a little while now and watching this site daily.

Those coyote eight stacks look great but I think you're talking 20k + with those systems + extras. The coyote is a big bastard too when compared to a 302 or 351.

I see people are sourcing some 351W long motors from eagle auto spares up here. I have the tubular upper intake set from a 95 ford lightning and the lower intake set to match... Im told Im supposed to use stock EFI to be passed.. none of these long engines come with computers... How are guys getting these engines to pass with aftermarket EFI (i.e. MASFLO set up).

Eagle auto said they can't guarantee their RECON 351w don't have a engine stamp that indentifies them as a much older engine block. I wonder if QLD transport even bother looking this up anyway.

When I get my hands on a 351W Id really like to hand it to someone locally who knows more than me - get it up to scratch with perhaps some performance upgrades - fitted with required intake set and have engine management all sorted - I don't know of anyone of the GC that could provide these services. ANY ONE KNOW ANY LOCAL ASSISTANCE??

Can always bang a coyote in - just not sure its the look I'm after.

Feel free to provide pros and cons of the 351w setup (not that anyone needs an invite around here?)http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif
Old 07-15-2014, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Hey Doc, as an aside, if you think the Coyote (US type) is big, run your tape over our 5.4 ! FaarK

Something to consider now is what fuel to run. I hang about on a Ford forum a bit and guys are getting 351W's through by running E85 & Injection so its something to give serious thought to.
Rog

Harrison #100

Last edited by Rog246; 07-15-2014 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 07-23-2014, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Replica, 5.0 Supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Hi Doc, I was thinking of going down the crate motor path as well but ended up getting a Stock Standard 1995 Ford 351 Windsor Short engine with a roller cam.
The ford part number for these engines is
F4TE-6015-AA the cast date on mine is 5G23, 23rd July 1995.
I've been told that these engines are compliant. I’ve spoken to a few crate engine supplies and none of them could tell me if their engines were compliant.
Only time will tell if my engine will pass the IM240 testing here in Vic.
If not it will go in to my XW project.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

And to think I was nervous going through the compliance process with build #78 of a kit that my engineer had passed previously, using an engine straight from the Holden production line. You blokes must have a high tolerance for pain!
Gav likes this.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc View Post
When I get my hands on a 351W Id really like to hand it to someone locally who knows more than me - get it up to scratch with perhaps some performance upgrades - fitted with required intake set and have engine management all sorted - I don't know of anyone of the GC that could provide these services. ANY ONE KNOW ANY LOCAL ASSISTANCE??
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif
Doc, PLR Engineering at Brendale know my 351w pretty well. If you want something built I'm sure the guys there can build you something.

You may want something a little different to mine but I'm sure they can provide you with the fruit you need. They build race engines though so compliant engines for the sniffer is probably not their primary focus or speciality.

Spookypt

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: