Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   351W & T5 prices (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/13072-351w-t5-prices.html)

Adrian S 12-14-2001 08:25 PM

351W & T5 prices

Hello,

I've been offered a crate 351W (1998 build) with EFi for AUD$6500 and was wondering whether this sounds like a good price? Also, as I'm a bit of a novice, are there any questions I should be asking the guy to find out what it is I'm buying ?

He also sells new T5's (including bell housing & clutch) for $3000 - is this too high ? Not far off the price of a Tremec 3550 I think.

One final question, who knows how much HP the crate 351W would deliver? I think it may be a smidge under 300 but not sure.

Thanks,
Adrian.

750hp 12-15-2001 04:21 AM

An injected 1998 windsor motor in standard form could not really be described as a performance motor. I can't imagine it having anywhere near 300hp which would probably be a good thing, because I don't like the T5's ability to cope with any significant torque/hp rating. My opinion is that those parts are too expensive.

Just remember, because it's a "crate" motor doesn't make it an SVO crate motor.

Have a talk to some engine builders in your area, and you might find that for similar money, you can build something a little more suitable. Alternatively, if you're not into the originality side of things, Lexus make a beautiful all alloy, quad cam 32 valve 4 litre V8 for less than $3,000. The latest Chev LS1 is also a little powerhouse for around the $6K mark.

Good luck!

L.M.Lind 12-15-2001 04:43 AM

So you can compare USA prices, Summit catalogue sells new T-5's for $1109.95 and clutches from $ 159.95 up. I am getting a rebuilt 351W(350hp) clutch T-5, basically complete engine/drive test run with cobra valve covers and air cleaner for $4800US +shipping.

Adrian S 12-17-2001 04:48 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm beginning to steer down the LS1 track given what Ford offer for the same $'s. I know there are purists out there that say you must put a Ford engine in and I will if they chip in for the difference !!! (I know, I know, resale value will be less - but thats only if I decide to sell).

A broader question for everyone, what ECUs are you using and was is considered the best affordable brand (I guess this excludes Motec) ?

Cheers,
Adrian.

Aussie Mike 12-17-2001 10:18 PM

The ECU is where you will possibly save yourself some money if you go with the Ford motor. The LS1 has no distributor and has an individual coil for each spark plug. This limits your choic of ECU to ones that can drive multiple coils. The only one I've been able to find is the MoTec so far. Most of the other units are designed arround a distributor/single coil setup.

Cheers

Adrian S 12-18-2001 04:56 PM

I just got off the phone to Peter at Petewell Engineering (Motec dealer) in Croydon. Peter does many of the Motec installs for Robnell.

He said that with the M48 on an LS1 you would still need to buy the ignition expander bringing the price up to within a few $'s of the new M800 ($2915). Interestingly, the M800 also supports fly-by-wire for an extra $484 and all you need to do is attach the sender to the accelerator pedal instead of a cable - it may be cheaper than buying a new cable assembly???

He also suggested that the wire loom that comes with either the M48 or M800 is not suitable for a Cobra as things are in different places. He now makes up his own looms for Robnell which produces a much neater job (he does this as well as supplying sensors etc for about $1K).

I'm going to check out Haltech & Autronic as well to see if they suit sequential firing - have you investigated these Mike ?

Bye,
Adrian.

Aussie Mike 12-18-2001 11:43 PM

Hi Adrian,

After re reading this thread yesterday I decided my research was out of date. I'm in the electronics industry and going by the rate our gear develops I figured there must have been some new developments in ECUs.

I called Wolf and had a good chat to a guy there (George I think). He informed me that they have just released the Wolf 3D version 4 2 weeks ago. This unit supports sequential ignition with 4 output banks. This means it can be used on a 8 coil equiped V8 using 2 Bosh dual input quad output ignighters and have a lazy spark setup. That's where 2 coils fire at once, on compression of one cylinder and exhaust of another. Motorcycles have been running like this for years. The Injection also has 4 output banks so isn't a true sequential on a V8 as there will be 2 injectors firing at once.

The unit doesn't have traction control but has a powerful enough CPU that it can be expanded later and the feature may be added. The unit comes with loom, sensors and a hand controller. PC software is on the way as well and ther is a memory module that means you can store different maps and transfer them between ECUs. The good news is the price $1450 for the whole kit. I figure you would only be up for the priice of the ignighters on top of that and installation if you aren't game yourself.

Cheers

Jim Thomas 12-19-2001 01:25 AM

351 W

Adrian,

I just ordered an engine from Dragboy, in Minnesota. It's a 351W, with 750 carb - guarnteed to put out 380hp min. Motor has a warranty on parts and workmanship. <$3,000
If your interested, I'll get you the number.

Anyone out here have experience with Dragboy?

:)

see ya,

Jim Thomas

Cobra.au 12-20-2001 02:32 PM

HI GUYS

HAS ANYONE CONSIDERED USING THE HOLDEN ECU THAT COMES WITH THE LS1 I KNOW YOU WOULD HAVE TO GET CERTAIN FUNCTIONS TURNED OFF BUT I HAVE SEEN NEW ONE ADVERTISED FOR ABOUT $300 IN PARTS PEDDERS. IT MIGHT BE A CHEEP ALTERNATIVE TO GET YOU ON THE ROAD.

WHAT DO YOU GUY"S THINK?

CRAIG W :confused:

Bathrone 11-26-2002 07:49 AM

I know this is an old thread, but couldnt resist.

The LS1 has now been "broken", and people can real time tune it on an engine dyno. I really dont think a Motec is needed unless you want advanced data logging and traction control.

Some very impressive numbers from mostly stock motors too - like hows 285 rear wheel KWS normally aspirated on pump fuel sound? Pretty easy too, head work, titanium retainers, new valve springs, stainless oversize valves, exhaust, cam, Holley manifold and larger injectors. Thats going to be about 370 flywheel kws, with a modern lightweight emissions legal (including cam) package.

Cost is about $AUS9000 drive in / drive out including full ECU tune.