Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2014, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     
Question Electric park brakes

Hi all.

I was thinking about debates I've had with owners about the best place for the park brake; convenience vs space vs looks.

It occurred to me that none of my daily drivers have had a traditional hand park brake now for nearly a decade! Either a foot operated or simple electric switch job.

Has anyone installed or looked into this? For example this: E-Stopp electric hand brake.

Would it pass ADR? The one below seems to still use the cable operation, just has an electric motor to pull it rather than the brake lever. And you install it anywhere (else)!

Interested in your feedback.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Looks like an interesting idea Guy. My only concern is that having a handbrake in an emergency a lever is probably better and being able to modulate the braking force. It's more instinctive to grab for the lever than look for the button.

I had a brake failure in an XU1 torana years ago (The pin in the brake booster linkage popped out. It was quick use of the hand brake and being able to modulate it that pulled me up on tram lines before slamming into the car in front of me in traffic.

Just a thought

Cheers

Old 10-08-2014, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know what you mean Mike. I was a bit hesitant when I first got an electric park brake in my daily driver. I suppose the assumption is that the foot brake setups we have today are just far more reliable than in years gone by.

Of course it is departing from 'period correctness' too, I know. Plus you can't do handbrakies!

In theory you could install a rotary or slider switch that progressively estuaries the brake, just like the handbrake level does.... Now were really getting techie.

On the other hand, I like the idea you can hide the switch, which effectively makes it a little harder for joy riders to pinch your car!
Old 10-08-2014, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Guy, I think it will come down to whether or not the VASS Eng approves it or not. Although you do have precedent in Road cars now so you may have a case, but maybe only if you use an existing road car system. cheers Gregg
Old 10-08-2014, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah Gregg, I reckon you're right. I sent a query off to my engineer yesterday, so we'll see what he says.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Replica, 5.0 Supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

I too have been thinking about the position of the E Brake. It will be interesting to see what the Eng. says about it an Elec. Brake.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Actually we can supply an electric handbrake as an option. We looked into it as part of PACE 427 development. So our existing handbrake system can be upgraded to a calibrated electric operation.

I would be wary of some of the "hotrod" style systems as they are complex device.

Should not be any concern for registration compliance as all the systems employed still use a mechanical system just with an electric actuator, so meet all ADR requirements.
Towmaster and Tonus72 like this.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

how much is that option craig ?
Old 10-09-2014, 02:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

One example I know of actuates the brake calipers in the normal fashion for emergency braking.
The vehicle will stop as quickly and safely as it possibly can under EBCM control.
The electric handbrake shoes ARE NOT used under these conditions.

I cannot see how you could possibly have an electric handbrake in any other way.
It would apply the handbrake too harshly and without modulation control would surely be an accident waiting to happen.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 10-09-2014, 02:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

you could run the actuator from a electric brake controller like used on electric brake trailers and use the slide mechanism to adjust how much force goes to the handbrake . ive pulled my falcon wagon with the race car on the trailer connected to a dead stop just using the trailer brakes as a test when I first set it up it pulled the whole lot safely and very quickly I really cant see it been to hard to work out quite honestly .
Old 10-09-2014, 03:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

This e-brake thing is a great idea, leaves more room for cup holders and a flip down mirror so you can check your eye liner.
deano59 and guye like this.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo View Post
This e-brake thing is a great idea, leaves more room for cup holders and a flip down mirror so you can check your eye liner.
I gave up on the eye liner kept poking myself in the eye with the bloody thing
Old 10-09-2014, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
I cannot see how you could possibly have an electric handbrake in any other way.
It would apply the handbrake too harshly and without modulation control would surely be an accident waiting to happen.
Apparently, the unit I linked in my OP goes on about this:

"The system is controlled by a micro computer that regulates the amount of pull. The E-Stopp will only pull up to 600 pounds before it locks down on itself. The button has a detachable head for easy install and has both visual and audible recognition. Also included is our patented ignition safety feature that renders the brake inoperable while the ignition is on. We recently added another ground sync wire that can be hooked up to your parking symbol light on your dash board."
Old 10-09-2014, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo View Post

Don't forget the heated seats, and I was also thinking one of those USB powered mini fleece blankets to throw over my lap. And one for the passenger too!

Seriously though, I've already worked out the cup holders. They go behind the seats. My wife doesn't leave home without her drink bottle, and it sh!ts me to tears having them roll around the passenger floor!
Old 10-09-2014, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

we went for the cup holders as well guy . for the same reason I hate them rolling around on the floor
Old 10-09-2014, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

The handbrake is not required by our ADR's to perform emergency braking, it is just a parking brake.

Yes, we do offer cup holders, sneakily put behind the seats where they can be easily accessed while seated, but keep water bottles out of view and out of the sun. We had a car at the Nationals with our optional cup holders fitted. It is something we thought long and hard about when we designed the cockpit.

And we also recommend heated seats for colder climates.

And also the reason why we have a forced cold air ducted system with flow control valves standard in the kit for driver and passenger footwells.

You may say we are getting soft, but all this makes the cars more usable and more comfortable, so you can drive and enjoy them more often and for longer.
Rossba, Tonus72 and Cobra01 like this.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So how much is the electric park brake option Craig ?
deano59 likes this.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Jag rear end ..park brake pads are tiny...they hold the car on a slope but wont have much effect on trying to control an emergency stop.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have grabbed the motor, controller and switch set from a 2004 -07 Jaguar XJ series car to actuate the park brake calipers on a set of Willwood brakes.. not fitted the cable ends as yet but the bracket was v simple to add. It all sits under the floor, total cost was around $350.

The option you have identified looks great.. is just a question of space to mount the motor.

Cheers

Chris
guye likes this.

Last edited by SydneyChris; 12-15-2014 at 01:32 AM..
Old 12-15-2014, 02:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyChris View Post
I have grabbed the motor, controller and switch set from a 2004 -07 Jaguar XJ series car to actuate the park brake calipers on a set of Willwood brakes.. not fitted the cable ends as yet but the bracket was v simple to add. It all sits under the floor, total cost was around $350.

The option you have identified looks great.. is just a question of space to mount the motor.

Cheers

Chris
Good thought, Chris. I hadn't thought of some late model euro wrecks for this option.

I haven't checked the space - I was thinking the unit might fit in the trans tunnel. I can check next week.