Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   autocraft ac cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/133523-autocraft-ac-cobra.html)

outback 06-05-2015 05:51 PM

autocraft ac cobra

Just after info on the cars
I was told their a UK built car
Are they a good thing ?
Was there a standard chassis and suspension that was used

fordracing65 06-05-2015 06:20 PM

Yes, awesome cars, built in Surrey, from what I understand they are considered real cobras...I think 300 were built and Lynn Park has a body from Autocraft for one of his 1965 cobras that was wreck and rebodied in aluminum...again I may be wrong...

A-Snake 06-05-2015 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordracing65 (Post 1351336)
Yes, awesome cars, built in Surrey, from what I understand they are considered real cobras...I think 300 were built and Lynn Park has a body from Autocraft for one of his 1965 cobras that was wreck and rebodied in aluminum...again I may be wrong...

If you mean the AC MK IV produced by Brian Angliss, that is not considered an original Cobra. Nor could it be call a Cobra. There were a total of 494 produced between '82-'95 ;)

Mark IV 06-05-2015 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A-Snake (Post 1351340)
If you mean the AC MK IV produced by Brian Angliss, that is not considered an original Cobra. Nor could it be call a Cobra. There were a total of 494 produced between '82-'95 ;)

No,

It WAS a "Cobra" in the UK and other places. Ford granted a license to use the trademarks and name on the car. It could not be used in the US however due to product liability issues (I know, I was involved) and the license was revoked after AC/Autokraft was resold to Pride Automotive.

fordracing65 06-05-2015 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A-Snake (Post 1351340)

Yes brian is the one who rebodied Lynns car, I though it was Autocraft and Brian were the same, like I said I could be wrong..

Mark IV 06-06-2015 03:54 AM

it is "Autokraft" and Brian Angliss was the owner. He later became not just a licensee of AC Cars, but the owner of AC as well.

bobnfrances 09-07-2016 07:48 PM

Looking for Autocraft Cobra

Are there any autocrat cobras for sale at present time?
thanks

Donunder 09-07-2016 10:19 PM

There's one in Melbourne Australia but it's on hold for me for when I win Powerball. ;)

1985 CCX 09-08-2016 05:13 AM

Brian re-bodied a few cars in his day.
They were a car sold through Ford dealers, kinda the red headed stepchild of these cars.

I love them, some do not...
Different interiors
Different front nose slope
Different rear lights
Different side markers
302 motors some FI some carb
5 spd
16" wheels
All alloy, still a great car.... Probably the only car I would get rid of mine for..
Short of original :)

Mongoose930 09-08-2016 05:35 AM

There is one for sale on ebay right now:

Other Makes AC Cobra MKIV | eBay

DaleG 09-08-2016 11:09 AM

Try this for an option? Kinda pricey, though:eek:.

Want a "new" original AC Cobra? - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

dhs.buckley 09-08-2016 05:23 PM

Duttons have this one, not sure on price.

1987 AC Cobra Autokraft MK IV

http://duttongarage.com/img/24535/10...&w=2000&h=2000

rodneym 09-09-2016 10:00 AM

I had an '86 Autokraft and it was a great car. Drove as it should but in the end, only an FE would do ;)

Mark IV,
I remember the hood was particularly heavy and the body work flawless. Could the hood have been double skinned? I can't remember...

Mark IV 09-09-2016 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodneym (Post 1403008)
I had an '86 Autokraft and it was a great car. Drove as it should but in the end, only an FE would do ;)

Mark IV,
I remember the hood was particularly heavy and the body work flawless. Could the hood have been double skinned? I can't remember...

The bonnet is heavy as it has a steel tubular frame with an outer "halo" of steel welded to it. The alloy skin then wraps around the steel lip so there is a lot of mass there.

peterpjb 09-10-2016 12:52 AM

in the 80th and 90th they were very popular in europe, a bling-bling "rich"- mans toy, the most were really ugly, 80th interior, safety equipment due to registration issues, to me they were really looking like the worst lookalike replicas , but there a some " lightweight" models that came with quite exact mk lll specs ....