Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   PGI Windscreens (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/134645-pgi-windscreens.html)

WKB 09-15-2015 12:29 AM

PGI Windscreens

PGI (Protector Autoglass) who make windscreens for most kit cars in Australia have stopped manufacturing windscreens and shut down their factory in Brisbane. They will now source their auto glass from overseas. The bad news for owners of kit cars in Australia is they supplied a large number of kit cars in Australia with windscreens and rear windows. The windscreens for the kit cars may no longer be available as they are unsure wether these will be made overseas.
From page 202 of the attached link shows the list of kit cars and what they supply.
http://protector.com.au/files/ws_catalogue.pdf

AC Cobras probably have a number of windscreen suppliers, but the GT40(GT40 Australia/Roaring Forties), Daytona's(Australian built kits) and SC 540's might be in trouble if there is a need to replace the windscreen.

Warren

spookypt 09-15-2015 01:20 AM

Warren that's very interesting/suckful. It's a familiar story. Problem is we get screwed as the quality even if available is nothing like Australian made.

LoBelly 09-15-2015 05:38 AM

Was just referred to them on the weekend
Rang Monday to find out they'd just closed the facility
damn :(

looks like these guys will make to order but don't have the same catalogue scope at present.

http://www.vehglass.com.au/

UPDATE: Turns out they only do side and rear glass not windscreens

LB

Towmaster 09-17-2015 06:42 AM

That's what happens when we 'try and save a few bucks'.... It costs us jobs and a manufacturing future......
Never seems like that big a deal....

LoBelly 01-28-2016 04:02 AM

someone kindly sent me a link to

Old Skool Screens

saying that they'd bought up the PGI stuff

so 'Yay'

except that my windscreenless vehicle isn't listed as one of the marques they do :(

LoBelly

albanycobra 01-28-2016 04:26 AM

Great there is a new supplier ,their prices are double what PGI was....my last 40 screen was $180....lucky I bought a spare....

Bryan Wilson 02-11-2016 10:06 PM

Windscreens

Have a talk to "windscreens o'brien" they supplied a new windscreen for my cobra was $175 but insurance plcked up the tab
Cheers
Bryan

spud 02-09-2017 06:23 PM

Hi Guys,

Anyone know where I can get a rear GT40 Screen at reasonable price? I'm getting quoted $450 + AU for them.

Thank Anthony

Modena 02-09-2017 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spud (Post 1415300)
Hi Guys,

Anyone know where I can get a rear GT40 Screen at reasonable price? I'm getting quoted $450 + AU for them.

Thank Anthony

aren't they plastic?

ICCARS 02-10-2017 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoBelly (Post 1378884)
someone kindly sent me a link to

Old Skool Screens

saying that they'd bought up the PGI stuff

so 'Yay'

except that my windscreenless vehicle isn't listed as one of the marques they do :(

LoBelly

These guys are now out of GT40 windscreen stock. F.Y.I.

ICCARS 02-10-2017 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modena (Post 1415309)
aren't they plastic?

Absolutely you can run a plastic rear screen, but most run glass to keep the transparency levels high, polycarb or lexen tend to fade when cleaned over and over again..

paul68 02-11-2017 04:55 PM

I have mate that does windscreens for a living.He could buy a DRB540 windscreen for around $100.00 his cost, now the company has gone overseas its about $950.00.So lucky things are cheaper over in China

ICCARS 02-12-2017 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul68 (Post 1415410)
I have mate that does windscreens for a living.He could buy a DRB540 windscreen for around $100.00 his cost, now the company has gone overseas its about $950.00.So lucky things are cheaper over in China

Do the DRB540's use an XR8 front screen?

AnthonyS 02-15-2017 04:41 AM

Hi Guys old school screens have purchased all the screens and tooling from the old PGI....and they are also for sale at the moment is anyone is interested