Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Engine Number (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/134798-engine-number.html)

AdamF 10-02-2015 11:24 PM

Engine Number

Hi Folks,

I think I may have made a blunder. The engine is completely built and running very nicely now.

Only problem I have is that I didn't take note of the engine number while I was doing it.

The engine is a Boss 290 5.4L.

From what I remember, the engine number is stamped on a plate just behind and underneath the alternator which I now can't get at without disassembling a fair part of the engine.

I've got what I believe is the block number. It's along the lines of...

RF. 2C5E-XXXXX-XX

Can I use this to get the engine number? Is there anywhere else that I can get the engine number from?

Cheers,

Adam.

itempany 10-03-2015 12:10 AM

Do you have one of the inspection cameras with flexible shaft. That might be a cheaper exercise than stripping some of the engine down?

deano59 10-03-2015 12:22 AM

i dont think you will get the engine number from that casting number did your engine builder write the engine number on your recite at all ? .

cheers dean

AdamF 10-03-2015 07:01 PM

Engine number

Hi Guys. I got the engine from a wrecker. Unfortunately it doesn't have the engine number on it.

I do have a camera with scope though. I'll have a dig around and see if I can dig it out.

Thanks for the assist :)

Adam

PeterAllen 10-03-2015 08:33 PM

This any help?

BOSS 290 Engine number identification?? - www.fordmods.com

750hp 10-04-2015 05:02 AM

What's going to happen when an engineer / department of transport / safety certificate provider wants to verify the engine and VIN details? I wonder how this is managed in standard Falcons?

boxhead 10-04-2015 09:26 PM

Engineer and MVR/RTA will want to sight the actual number stamped.

Gaz64 10-04-2015 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxhead (Post 1365700)
Engineer and MVR/RTA will want to sight the actual number stamped.

That is exactly correct.

If there are ancillaries on the engine that make it difficult to identify, then they need to be relocated for better access to read the number.

AdamF 10-14-2015 11:31 PM

Rightyo

Okay... after a bit of messing around and the use of a camera on a bendy pole :D I've now got the engine number.

I'm currently on the phone (on hold) to the DOT to ask them but I thought this might be a good alternative...

How do I go about getting a VIN now that I've got the engine number?

I've been through the DOT website and not really found anything applicable.

Adam.

AdamF 10-20-2015 01:18 AM

That's what you get for not reading the instructions...

Okay, I've found the VIN form (funnily enough, sent to me ages ago and I hadn't been through all of the paperwork).

After speaking to a couple of exceptionally helpful people at the DOT, they've given me an email address to send the VIN form off to.

All done, now I'm just waiting. After that, it'll be onto temporary movement permits for weighing, wheel alignment, and final testing and engineer's check.

Thanks again for the help.

Adam.