Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree124Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2016, 01:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cobra - ICCARS 001, 4.2LTwin Turbo, AWD, 5 speed tiptronic under construction
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
Good to see how you managed to fit them in, but each to their own I think it looks ridiculous.
That's what makes us human, the ability to individualise our thoughts based on our own perceptions.. Perception is reality after all.
For me in pretty much everything I do it is always about the engineering, this is what drives me; I'm not so much about the wow factor or not..
That said, It's probably a good thing that the owner of this car is not on this forum as he might have something to say in his defence as to why he feels these tyres are in his perspective really nice to look at and not "ridiculous", which I know is how he feels about this set up..
boxhead, Rob. Smith, nicho and 3 others like this.

Wil Escabache
ICCARS AC Cobra 001 (AWD) U/C
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net

Last edited by ICCARS; 05-27-2016 at 02:10 AM..
Old 05-27-2016, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

It looks like the wheels and tyres on the bat mobile. Love it. The fatter the better.
JD
Marlox and ICCARS like this.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cobra - ICCARS 001, 4.2LTwin Turbo, AWD, 5 speed tiptronic under construction
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donunder View Post
They're not for everyone that's for sure, but then I did a double take when I first saw a Cobra with 17" wheels. Now that size is the norm for most builders, because of the availability of better tyres and brakes, with only historic tragics sticking with 15s.

As has been said often on this forum, our cars are what we make of them. To each his own. Personally I wouldn't go to the extreme tyre size on this car --- but then I'm not the owner, who is free to do as he wishes.
I fully agree with you Donunder, and I will go as far as to say that any form of feedback should be based on personal opinion only and non critical i.e. "I don't really like the look of that myself" as opposed to a critical comment such as "it looks ridiculous" even under the guise of "to each his own"!!
Just my thoughts on the matter..
renovationinnov, Jaydee and Marlox like this.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 05-28-2016, 04:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Snake Pit DRB 302W
Not Ranked     

Totally agree with Don and Wil. The client had the balls to go different and have his dream realised. Modern gauges, 6 speed, chevy powered etc is all ok but put big ass rears and now we've gone too far? Nothing but respect for the owner for not compromising on what he/she wanted and also to Wil for making it a reality.
ICCARS likes this.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlox View Post
Totally agree with Don and Wil. The client had the balls to go different and have his dream realised. Modern gauges, 6 speed, chevy powered etc is all ok but put big ass rears and now we've gone too far? Nothing but respect for the owner for not compromising on what he/she wanted and also to Wil for making it a reality.
Hey Marlox, thanks for your kind words of support. I plan on putting an Audi A6 Quattro drive line into my personal Cobra replica that I am building and I know that will get some people rolling their eyes, in fact it already has and that's OK, as we all have our own ideas of what's right and wrong. But I say to those that don't like it, do not criticise me or any others for pursuing our vision - as the saying goes "if you can not say something nice, don't say it at all"
Here's another photo of some big arse wheels... LOL
Attached Images

leroy17, itempany and Marlox like this.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net

Last edited by ICCARS; 05-28-2016 at 05:09 AM..
Old 05-28-2016, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

As a custom car guy at heart I love those wide real wheels. Awesome engineering.

How did you get sign off on such high loads on the bearings?

Ben
ICCARS likes this.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay View Post
As a custom car guy at heart I love those wide real wheels. Awesome engineering.

How did you get sign off on such high loads on the bearings?

Ben
Hey Ben, the key to getting those big wheels passed was to use a fully floating axle housing (one of my photo's shows the diff housing FYI) and to ensure that the wheel track was cohesive to the performance of the vehicle which passed all the lane change tests with flying colours. The owner of this vehicle took it for inspection just the way it is, and the guys at Regency Park (Transport SA) couldn't believe it, but they loved it all the same and the car passed with full compliance first time.. It just goes to show, if you do your homework and do the job properly, almost anything is achievable.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 05-28-2016, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Virtual High five!

Ben
boxhead and ICCARS like this.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

Hi Will,
What was the weight of the finished build.
Weight distribution etc.
Phenomenal effort to pull it all together let alone a custom made chassis.

cheers
Dave
Old 05-28-2016, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Dave,

ICC-003 weighed in at 1135kg and is heavier than the standard arrangement due primarily to the weight of the Boss 5.4L motor and trans (it's a truck motor after all) and the 9" rear diff assembly and 5 link system. The distribution was roughly worked out by placing jacks at the pivot centre of the vehicle which came in at 60/40 approx.
The bare chassis can be picked up by two people no problems, and we only add <20kg of aluminium panelling to the frame to finish the quasi monocoque look prior to installation of the drive line, wiring, brakes etc...
With the standard suspension arrangement and say a 5L Windsor engine and 5 speed manual the full weight of the vehicle is just on 1000kg total weight, with a weight distribution percentage of 52/48.
Thanks for your positive feedback mate.

Regards
Wil

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 05-28-2016, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

The street machiner in me can't get enough of this. Great pics and more so the ability to offer variable options for clients with differing wants.

I would love to see this in person. These cars have the sexiest body with beautiful big rounded guards which are just begging for a variety of wheel/tyre combo.

Keep these updates coming and don't skimp on the pics.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

Wil, I'm not sure if I missed it in an earlier post, but are you making your own bodies too?

Top effort on all the engineering mate. The ass end of the Cobra looks like a tubbed drag car! Sahweet!
ICCARS likes this.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintwerks View Post
Wil, I'm not sure if I missed it in an earlier post, but are you making your own bodies too?

Top effort on all the engineering mate. The ass end of the Cobra looks like a tubbed drag car! Sahweet!
Yes we do make our own bodies and can supply the bonnet in three different styles -1) std small scoop 2) std no scoop 3) modified large scoop
Agreed on the drag car look, just put a set of slicks on it and go racing..

Cheers
Wil

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 05-29-2016, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Iccars icc-003

ICCARS - some suspension photos of our 9" set up / 5 link
Attached Images

boxhead and Marlox like this.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 05-29-2016, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Craig from AP said this to me some time ago and he's spot on.

..."the whole enjoyment to owning these cars is not how much they are used, but how much enjoyment they give. And just having them sitting in the garage can give you a fair bit of enjoyment by tinkering with them or just admiring them"

Whatever the car and its configuration, I think we are just the lucky few who get to enjoy what these cars give. Everyone's tastes are different and that's OK but as a community lets encourage all members and manufacturers for putting their nuts on the line to help us individuals enjoy what we want to.

Big wheels aren't for me but I respect the effort and engineering taken to make them happen and the owner for choosing to make a dream a reality. That said, big boobs are, and I also respect the effort and engineering taken to make them happen and their owners for choosing to make my dream a reality!
750hp, boxhead, BJ's Snake and 7 others like this.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wil, that lower coilover bolt looks maybe just a smidge too long!
Tongue firmly in cheak just taking the peeeeese.! Great pics and lovely fab.

PS I have a friend of a friend who lives on KA. He's a surfer and surfs it regularly alone. Sounds pretty wild to me and a touch of paradise but it gets cold yeah?
Old 05-29-2016, 10:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

Hi Will, or others,

Whats the purpose of the adjustable axle control rod brackets in this pic?. i.e the ladder of location holes,
I've seen this on some drag cars etc, but don't know why its there.

regards
Dave

renovationinnov likes this.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypt View Post
Wil, that lower coilover bolt looks maybe just a smidge too long!
Tongue firmly in cheak just taking the peeeeese.! Great pics and lovely fab.

PS I have a friend of a friend who lives on KA. He's a surfer and surfs it regularly alone. Sounds pretty wild to me and a touch of paradise but it gets cold yeah?
Hey Spook, What's his name as I probably know him - small community you know!!! It does get cold, and windy there but it is such a paradise to live in and great for our kids growing up at the moment- very safe..
P.S. we could always make a sleeve to fit in that extra long bolt you know..
Cheers
Wil

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 05-30-2016, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
Hi Will, or others,

Whats the purpose of the adjustable axle control rod brackets in this pic?. i.e the ladder of location holes,
I've seen this on some drag cars etc, but don't know why its there.

regards
Dave

Hey Dave, the reason for the series of holes is to allow for adjustment of the track rods in order to get the diff pinion to arc in perfect relationship to the spicer yolk on the tailshaft, i.e. think of a pendulum with it's two connecting rods tapered back up to the pivot centre and then imagine the base of the pendulum swinging in relation to the pivot centre - this is what you want your diff to do so that it does not actuate perpendicular to the spicer yolk (or transmission output) as that will load up the universal joints and create issues with the driveline function. The hole positions allows you to alter the top and bottom track rod arc points to the diff mounting brackets, thereby giving you the ability to set the diff pinion to the optimum pivot centre position.
Hope that explains it OK

P.S. I'm sure Deano could explain it better than me as he sets up sprint cars suspension all the time, but that's my best explanation

Regards
Wil

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 05-30-2016, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypt View Post
Craig from AP said this to me some time ago and he's spot on.

..."the whole enjoyment to owning these cars is not how much they are used, but how much enjoyment they give. And just having them sitting in the garage can give you a fair bit of enjoyment by tinkering with them or just admiring them"

Whatever the car and its configuration, I think we are just the lucky few who get to enjoy what these cars give. Everyone's tastes are different and that's OK but as a community lets encourage all members and manufacturers for putting their nuts on the line to help us individuals enjoy what we want to.

Big wheels aren't for me but I respect the effort and engineering taken to make them happen and the owner for choosing to make a dream a reality. That said, big boobs are, and I also respect the effort and engineering taken to make them happen and their owners for choosing to make my dream a reality!
Hey Spook, I couldn't agree with you more - big boobs are great!!
I also agree with Craig's comments and I totally relate to the process of building your dream car, sitting in the thing when it's just a body and chassis in the shed and pretending to drive it - I think I may have even made a few Broom Broom noises..

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: