Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   pedal slide plate is it legal (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/137648-pedal-slide-plate-legal.html)

Hail427 12-09-2016 05:26 AM

pedal slide plate is it legal

Hi, Has anyone installed a pedal slide plate to their vehicle and are they legal?

https://www.google.com.au/imgres?img...act=mrc&uact=8

albanycobra 12-09-2016 06:29 AM

My advice would be ask your Engineer first.

KevinW 12-09-2016 08:12 AM

Sorry for the ignorance, but what is it for?

Tommy 12-09-2016 08:34 AM

It appears to be a device to allow the pedal assembly to be easily moved forward or aft to fit the driver.

Donunder 12-09-2016 01:21 PM

Just a modernised take on an old idea.

My 1979 Arntz came from the factory with adjustable floor-mounted pedals.

dave295 12-09-2016 02:16 PM

I've got a BA Falcon automatic sitting in the paddock (factory) fitted with an electric motor that moves the brake pedal towards or away from the driver at the flick of a switch.
It must be ADR compliant.

Dave

Paintwerks 12-09-2016 02:49 PM

In my Pace, as I am 6ft, I had to move my pedals as far forward and the seat as far back as possible to get even a semblance of comfort. Perhaps I have long legs? While I'm not uncomfortable in the car, if I could get another 3" of legroom I'd be even happier!

With adjustable pedals, the question is, how would you get the pedal seal kit to function, and also I see an another issue with the pedals directly connected to the master cylinders which are attached to rigid brake lines. None of that could be fore-aft adjustable unless perhaps you ran flexible lines from the master cylinders to the rigid lines? I don't believe that's feasible (or legal) though.

stephen low 12-09-2016 03:33 PM

Concur with the Falcon comment above as I had a BF XR8 that moved both brake and accelerator fore / aft which helped with my stumpy legs.

So must be permissible under the ADR's though this is a different piece of engineering to what is pictured but the concept is the same.

I'd have thought that if it can be safely locked to not move during driving, and maintains control functionality, why would it not be allowed.

Again agree, ask your engineer for definitive advice.

Hail427 12-10-2016 10:43 AM

*albanycobra just asking here first
*KevinW My wife is the smallest in our family I thought it would make it easier to use
as Tommy has correctly stated
*Donunder I would love to see a picture and it would help in solving some issues that I and paintworks have
*dave298, stephen low If ether one of you could take some pictures of the firewall and behind the pedals I
would love to see them it could help with ideas
*paintworks I was going to cover the pedal seal kit with a bellows ribbed cover and use tubular dowels to secure to the firewall,
the brake pipe is coiled in a loop and could adjust to the length
or just get some with extra loops

China PVC High Quality Accordion Bellows Covers - China Bellows Cover, Accordion Bellows Cover

Why do brake lines have so many bends and loops? | HowStuffWorks

stephen low 12-10-2016 01:20 PM

Sorry Mr Hail with Pace - lol

Sold that BF several years ago so can't get you a pic.

Can say it rotated around the upper pivot point though but whether that was just the pedals or the whole assembly moving I never went to investigate.

I'm struggling to get adequate pedal travel length for good clutch operation now without having the pedal out so far that it then causes space issues.

Maybe the Pace footwells have a bit more depth.

Either way have fun with this research.

albanycobra 12-10-2016 09:21 PM

My thoughts are its perfectly doable. Just use flexi hoses the same as what goes out to your wheels to connect masters to hard brakelines. Same with the reservoir lines. Is it possible Pace have something in the pipeline that could help?

750hp 12-10-2016 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hail427 (Post 1410991)
*Donunder I would love to see a picture...

Here's a photo of the pedal box in Donunder's Arntz. You can see that instead of an adjustable slotted section from your photo of the RCR, the Arntz adjustability can be seen in the 6 holes (in 1" increments) in the horizontal mounting plate to the right of the master cylinders in the picture. OZVENOM Scotty was bleeding the brakes at the time, hence the middle m/cyl cap not being tightened...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7095/7...fc3b731c_z.jpg

Don's modifications since then for even more footroom are an even greater improvement, but that's another story.

Donunder 12-10-2016 11:19 PM

Here's part of a drawing showing the Arntz chassis dated Jan 1980.

You can see how the master cylinders were reverse-mounted under the floor. As Craig mentioned, this configuration has now been changed (by OzVenom) in my car with pendant Wilwood pedals and the floor lowered to the bottom of the chassis rail to allow greater leg/foot room.

You will not be able to do this because of the Pace design, but regarding your inquiry I'm 6'4" with size 13 feet and I drove a Pace for over 160 klms one day, over mountain roads requiring plenty of clutch and brake action, with no discomfort or compromise regarding safe operation of the car.

Anyway here's the drawing. Sorry if there's some reflection. It's framed and hanging on my lounge wall.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/77/315...b2f2fe1b_b.jpg

Paintwerks 12-11-2016 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donunder (Post 1411034)
Here's part of a drawing showing the Arntz chassis dated Jan 1980.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/77/315...b2f2fe1b_b.jpg

I'm sure it's only a coincidence, but the product development manager who works at Pace is also a Steve Amos.

albanycobra 12-11-2016 02:13 AM

I just thought that......Had to double take

Donunder 12-11-2016 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paintwerks (Post 1411035)
I'm sure it's only a coincidence, but the product development manager who works at Pace is also a Steve Amos.

Extraordinary coincidence.

The Arntz was an undoubted pacesetter in its day forty years ago and now it seems its heritage and the Steve Amos lineage has filtered down through the generations to Craig's cars, already establishing themselves as the Absolute Pace.....setters of their time.

Hail427 12-11-2016 12:05 PM

Brilliant thank you Guys will make the missus happy

deano59 12-11-2016 04:26 PM

what a fantastic piece to have hanging up in a man cave .