Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Best Cobra Kit Car to Purchase (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/137841-best-cobra-kit-car-purchase.html)

Aiden5748 01-17-2017 02:28 PM

Best Cobra Kit Car to Purchase

Hi Every One,

I am looking at building a cobra, I am Mechanic by trade and have a car hoist at home in my shed. There are a tone of kits on the Market, I had been looking at FFR kit, does anyone know if they make the kits to suit LH Drive. I have not built any thing like this before, if any one has advise for me on the best packages available, also whats a good ending and tranny to run I'm all ears.

Ideas would be great.

Thanks a boot full

Aiden

Gav 01-17-2017 03:41 PM

Hi Aiden,
The Pace cobra's are a really well designed kit but as you may have seen about the place delivery of parts with them is a bit of an issue at present.
I built a Classic Revival Cobra previously and they are a great car.
But having said that the choice is greater than just those two.
I have recently imported a RHD FFR coupe kit and had no issues and the quality is excellent.
Where are you located?
I'd speak with an engineer in regards to what make of cars they have dealt with as engineering may be your biggest obstacle.
Join a club and have a good look at what others are doing. Good luck with your search.

boxhead 01-17-2017 03:52 PM

Welcome to the nut house Aiden.
I am assuming you mean R/H drive in the FFR.
Gav I think is the most recent to order a car from FFR and I believe he ordered his in R/H drive (I am old so memory is shot).

There is also a list that Spooky has compiled with Australian suppliers (I wont try to list them all now as I will miss one or two and be labeled biased one way or another.

I am similar to yourself (but 15 years ago) mechanic with home workshop and capable skills to build a car.
My choice at the time was a Classic Revival (new owners now and complete new chassis so not the same car).

You first need top determine what style rego you want (full rego or club rego) as a club car the rules are slightly easier (depending on what state you are in).

No matter what, ask questions and enjoy the trip.

Dimis 01-17-2017 06:05 PM

Welcome aboard sir!

Could you kindly help us answer your question by please defining 'best'?

My intention is to garner the priority system and expectations you have for your cobra to therefore help guide you by narrowing down the options available.

Things to consider include, but not limited to: price, design, chassis/shape, parts availability, location, performance, authenticity, purpose... you get my "drift"? (Bad pun intended) :)

Either way, plenty of souls around here who can certainly assist with all measures of cobra related info. You've come to ge right place.

Enjoy...

spookypt 01-18-2017 12:45 AM

Something's missing here....

oh that's right no pouncing wazza. (Forum joke.)

mikeinatlanta 01-18-2017 05:01 AM

I second the idea that the most important way to determine best is for you to make sure that you are clear on your own expectations. Once you are able to effectively determine and communicate your desires, the expertise on this forum will be able to help you with your decision. Time spent clarifying this is the best money you will spend on the whole project.

Blue66 01-18-2017 07:38 AM

ahhh winter is here !! :D Welcome to CC. #1.. what do you want to spend or "budget" ??

Ozzie Goat 01-18-2017 09:19 AM

It's summer down under - prime season

Rog246 01-18-2017 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozzie Goat (Post 1413528)
It's summer down under - prime season

Come on Ozzie-this is Australia you're talking about ! Its Primo season all year round

Its heaven here mate and if you don't believe it " if you want to call GOD its a local call ! "

SydneyChris 01-19-2017 05:02 PM

In a totally biased recommendation I'd go a Gen3 FFR Coupe65 with a full space frame, delivered as RHD with a drive train, minus the engine.. :)

Failing that an Absolute Pace.. the engineering and manufacture is in a class of its own.. :).. just my humble opinion.. :)

Spooky... still no Wazza.. !!!! (jk)

fordracing65 01-19-2017 05:14 PM

Street beast. The one and only

Aussie Mike 01-19-2017 05:17 PM

Classic Revival are still in business. Making a nice round tube style chassis that many on here have built.

Treeve 01-19-2017 06:12 PM

Make sure that whatever you sign off can be engineered wherever you are, unless you want a track only toy.

SydneyChris 01-19-2017 07:28 PM

Mike... re Treeve's comment on CR, new owners, hopefully he has sorted the parts and compliance issues that existed with Dunnagiveash!t. I had seen a post from Daniel (check near Gosford) that he was supporting a couple of older builds. Is a nice looking car, but as you say.. round tube chassis, and the generation of engineering that goes with it.

Aussie Mike 01-19-2017 08:19 PM

I see the round tube chassis as a positive for the CR. Yes the Pace is an engineering marvel and looks very easy to build but I think there is still a demand for a car that has a traditional looking steel ladder chassis. The CR round tube chassis looks nice and has a nod to the 4" round tube chassis of the original 427 Cobra.

Cheers

boxhead 01-19-2017 11:01 PM

I just re read my post, I wasn't suggesting the new chassis was any worse than the older one, In my opinion it is better as it is more traditional.
But I meant I simply cant give any feedback on it, as I don't have it.

DaveW 01-20-2017 09:04 PM

CR Chassis...yeah...
I might never finish mine i spend so long staring at it.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...pslubbthqy.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...psliznmvou.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7aqkaciq.jpg

Best bet is to go look at a few and see what you like, what fits your purpose or budget.
I've met Daniel in person at his open day a few weeks back, stand up genuine guy, got a few CRs on the go at the moment as well.
If you're serious about a build, spend a few $ on travel and go see each manufacturer. Well worth the decision making process.

cheers
Dave

Tenrocca 01-20-2017 10:30 PM

Great pictures Dave.

If you don't necessarily want to build there is the Superformance option as well - beautiful cars.

Whatever you decide do you research and due diligence before putting pen to paper.

albanycobra 01-20-2017 11:02 PM

Bloody sensational work Dave W.....eye candy for sure.

Dimis 01-20-2017 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveW (Post 1413679)

Now you're just showing off.... and bloody hell you should do it more often. :3DSMILE:
Beautiful pics!!!

Thanks for sharing.