Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Ic cars cobra build (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/137997-ic-cars-cobra-build.html)

AnthonyS 02-15-2017 07:45 PM

IC CARS Cobra Build

4 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,

I’m new to the forum and wanted to share my ICCARS Cabra build.

I purchased a locally built ICCARS cobra kit from Kangaroo Island South Australia. The kit runs a space frame style chassis with a bonded fibreglass body.

The chassis was constructed to fit a modular 5.4L, 4 speed auto, triangulated 4 bar 9” rear with 20”x 16” deep dish wheels.......Based on a scale model “Big time models” which was given to me years ago....you tell me if my real life interpretation was close......When i first ran it past Wil from ICCARS his first answer was “They won’t fit” and so was his second and third answer ....however backwards and forwards with autocad we made it work.

A donor BA XR8 was found and everything was used...engine, trans, radiator, ecu, loom, dash facia etc...

All in all it passed engineering (lane change / break fade) with flying colours and rides quite well considering the meat on the back......however I have great motivation not to put any weight on as the cockpit is small...(we needed to find room somewhere for those tyres)

Model Cobra - http://www.toywonders.com/ProductCar...a-427-Jada.jpg

I have attached a link with the build photos
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2qw9wy7eh...B5yN5U8Sa?dl=0

Anyway I’m glad to part of the cobra family.....

Thanks Anthony

Chook 02-15-2017 08:16 PM

Welcome and congrats. Car looks fantastic. Lots of detail comparable to the scale model. ie even the side air vents/gills are black!!
Well done

dallas_ 02-15-2017 08:28 PM

Well done. Those are indeed some serious meats in the back. ;)

gjkrv8 02-15-2017 10:11 PM

Welcome Anthony. Great looking Cobra. I like the way your wheels fit, normally larger wheels don't look that good on Cobra (IMHO) but yours look great.

That must be a pretty short rear end to accomodate that large rear wheel dish. Wow.

Thanks for sharing

cheers

Gregg

renovationinnov 02-15-2017 10:58 PM

congrats on your build & welcome to the MAD HOUSE

SydneyChris 02-15-2017 11:07 PM

Can we start a 'conversation' again about which kit is the best.. :) !!!!!! NOT.

Congrats.. is a beautiful car.. :)

Gav 02-16-2017 12:05 AM

That's taking rear wheel dish to a whole other level!

AnthonyS 02-16-2017 02:22 AM

Thanks for the comments guys....I appreciate that the cobra purest may see the big wheels as a little excessive.....but they bring a little hot rod into the sleek cobra lines and the look killer!!

Aussie Mike 02-16-2017 09:32 PM

Thanks for posting up the pics Anthony. Looks like a great build. I think I can speak for all here when I say we love build threads. It's also refreshing to see a different take on the Cobra.

Interested to get your impression on how the car handles with so much rubber under the rear. Does it have a tendency to under steer?

Also we don't get so many Cobra purists on the Aussie forum. We've been doing things our own way for a long time. I stuck a Chev motor in mine. Let your freak flag fly I say.

Cheers

dallas_ 02-17-2017 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnthonyS (Post 1415851)
a little excessive.....

Isn't that the whole point of a Cobra??? :D

AnthonyS 02-18-2017 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Mike (Post 1415948)
Thanks for posting up the pics Anthony. Looks like a great build. I think I can speak for all here when I say we love build threads. It's also refreshing to see a different take on the Cobra.

Interested to get your impression on how the car handles with so much rubber under the rear. Does it have a tendency to under steer?

Also we don't get so many Cobra purists on the Aussie forum. We've been doing things our own way for a long time. I stuck a Chev motor in mine. Let your freak flag fly I say.

Cheers

Thanks Aussie mike ......it actually handles rear well hardly any oversteer....the engineer actually commented on how good it handles during the lane change. He reckons it was the best one for a long while....I was surprised as well when we were 110kmh through the cones...

Rob. Smith 02-18-2017 02:20 AM

Just wondering what the suspension travel was on that rear end is.. It doesn't look like there's much room under the frame.

ICCARS 02-18-2017 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnthonyS (Post 1416027)
Thanks Aussie mike ......it actually handles rear well hardly any oversteer....the engineer actually commented on how good it handles during the lane change. He reckons it was the best one for a long while....I was surprised as well when we were 110kmh through the cones...

Hey Anthony, just F.Y.I. the independent rear end we normally use has better handling again, and more balanced overall, however the IRS will never fit those Big Beautiful wheels - never :LOL:

AnthonyS 02-19-2017 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob. Smith (Post 1416029)
Just wondering what the suspension travel was on that rear end is.. It doesn't look like there's much room under the frame.

Hi rob there is about 70mm of travel however With the 350lbs springs in the rear your lucky to get 40mm of travel even with 2 people in the car and a full tank of petrol. Still a decent ride with the 350 lbs springs....