Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Need anew smiths tacho (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/139091-need-anew-smiths-tacho.html)

Bryan Wilson 08-10-2017 06:25 AM

Need anew smiths tacho

Where can I buy a new Smiths tacho in Melbourne. Good quality second hand would be ok.

Bender 08-11-2017 03:48 AM

Hi Bryan. I bought a MG smiths tacho for mine. It is a mechanical drive but I will be converting it to electronic. I matched it with the smiths speedo from a MK1 Cortina. MK1 and MK2 Cortina have a different shape bevell. Early Jag have smiths tacho and speedo combo. I bought mine on ebay and hot rod swap meets. Hope that helps. You can buy non smiths gauges from speedhut, GPS speedo and tacho combo.
Neil

xb-60 08-11-2017 04:04 AM

Bryan, if you're not in a screaming hurry, you can buy direct from the manufacturers, Caerbont, in Wales, or from Nisonger in New York state. I have bought from both and both companies are extremely easy to deal with.
Can supply contacts for both if you want them.

Cheers,
Glen

Bryan Wilson 08-11-2017 07:30 AM

Tacho

Thanks, Glen I'll giive you a yell if I can't find anything in Aus.

Tonus72 08-11-2017 03:40 PM

Howard

vdo gauges tachometer smiths chronometric marine speedometer instrument repairs dials speed limiting

Bryan Wilson 08-25-2017 03:32 AM

New Tacho

Got a newone from Howard instruments Melbourne. They stock complete Smiths gauge sets for Cobras.

xb-60 08-25-2017 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Wilson (Post 1428905)
Got a newone from Howard instruments Melbourne. They stock complete Smiths gauge sets for Cobras.

"Too easy" :)

Got a picture of the dash Bryan? Smiths instrumented dashes aren't common in Aus.

Cheers,
Glen

stephen low 08-25-2017 02:38 PM

Hmmm - Howards must have got permission as there was a bit of a flap with Smiths after I bought my "Smiths" branded VDO's all those years ago.

They took the Smith's logos off my gauges after they went back for dial gauge rework having been badly painted.

xb-60 08-25-2017 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephen low (Post 1428937)
Hmmm - Howards must have got permission as there was a bit of a flap with Smiths after I bought my "Smiths" branded VDO's all those years ago.

They took the Smith's logos off my gauges after they went back for dial gauge rework having been badly painted.

Smiths branded gauges on VDO's? I suppose that's like a Chev engine in a Cobra.... ;)

Cheers!
Glen

stephen low 08-25-2017 09:29 PM

Ha Ha yep

Smith's lookalikes but have to admit Howard's did good work getting the printing and fonts correct.

Bryan Wilson 08-26-2017 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xb-60 (Post 1428910)
"Too easy" :)

Got a picture of the dash Bryan? Smiths instrumented dashes aren't common in Aus.

Cheers,
Glen

My Cobra was built in and imported from England and all the gauges are genuine Smiths

MKS427 08-26-2017 01:05 PM

Speedhut makes reproductions. Factory Five uses them. I would recommend verifying that the gauge fits the existing hole.

DaveW 08-26-2017 03:18 PM

Hi Bryan
Try the "Healey Factory" out Ringwood way, i saw some smiths gauges for sale there last time i was there, a fair while back, but they do resto work, so maybe able to help.

cheers
Dave

xb-60 08-26-2017 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Wilson (Post 1428959)
My Cobra was built in and imported from England and all the gauges are genuine Smiths

Is it a 427 roadster layout, 427 SC, or dropped-centre layout?