Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   where do I start??? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/140186-where-do-i-start.html)

328stig 02-10-2018 07:44 PM

where do I start???

Greeting,

I have just joined this forum and am looking for advice... I want to build a "father and son project Cobra". I have read many posts but still can't get my head around where I should start.

I don't want a race track car but want to build one from a kit maker who can give me the most standard and easiest kit to build... but a quality kit.

Sheetmetal cutting/work and welding are not my bag ... don't know if this is required on some kits??

Can anyone please give me some advice on which manufacturer I should speak to? Someone who can also help with after sales advice when I strike issues ... which I am sure i will...

many thanks!

PeterAllen 02-10-2018 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 328stig (Post 1438152)
Greeting,

...Sheetmetal cutting/work and welding are not my bag..

I'd suggest you don't even start. There might be a possibility your grandson will finish it off, but I doubt even that.

Buy a second-hand running and REGISTERED car and then restore/modify/update/etc to how you would like it to look and go. There will be enough quality/bonding time in doing that... trust me.

There is no such thing as an IKEA kit car.

Gaz64 02-10-2018 08:26 PM

Yes agree. One does need fabricating skills to build any kit car.

It certainly would be good to have a pair of near identical cars.

Others will chime in soon.

Gary

twobjshelbys 02-10-2018 08:37 PM

How many kits have we seen here for sale that have languished for years and go uncompleted and sold for pennies on the dollar of both cost and labor, often by a family member?

For first time purchasers your best advice (whether in the US or Australia) would be to buy a completed vehicle to be sure you are truly a Cobra fan.

If you are looking to build something there are other easier alternatives.

328stig 02-10-2018 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1438158)
How many kits have we seen here for sale that have languished for years and go uncompleted and sold for pennies on the dollar of both cost and labor, often by a family member?

For first time purchasers your best advice (whether in the US or Australia) would be to buy a completed vehicle to be sure you are truly a Cobra fan.

If you are looking to build something there are other easier alternatives.

Many thanks ... what alternative do you suggest?

Rob. Smith 02-11-2018 12:37 AM

YEP..buy one complete and registered..Then do the cosmetic changes to your requirement.. your boy can help there too.

520SC 02-11-2018 12:44 AM

I bought a Street Beasts kit car about year ago. It was a steal at $23,000, but I've spent the last 11 months and $10,000 working out the bugs. It only had 110 miles on it when I bought it, so the builder really didn't know the car very well. It's a great car, but it's high maintenance. My advice is, buy from a Cobra building factory.

328stig 02-11-2018 02:27 AM

Thanks guys... good advice!

Zedn 02-11-2018 03:25 AM

Yes unfortunately the rego system in nsw just isnt worth entering into.

Do what others have said and restore a registered car to your liking. I probably wouldn’t choose one that started as a kit car as you don’t know what you will find taking it apart and there will be no workshop manual. Maybe an old MG or Mini would be fun. Plenty of fun to be had with that taking it all apart and putting it back together.

Beejay 02-11-2018 12:47 PM

I am in the Hills area, Happy to catch up if you want some advice.

The club has regular get togethers too.

Cheers,

Ben

Linden 02-11-2018 02:00 PM

I'm in the hills too. I purchased a car that was already registered and I'm in the process of restoring it with my father as well. Happy to help.

guye 02-12-2018 02:00 PM

In fairness, the Absolute Pace kit is pretty close to an Ikea flatpack - I didn't really have to do any fabrication at all on my build.

Local (to you) kit manufacturers like Classic Revival would be worth a chat too - at least they are in-state and can help if necessary?

However I understand engineering to RTA standards in NSW is very tricky at present, hence the "restore an existing cobra" advice above is wise for NSW today. Unless this changes - I think I saw some commentary on the forum or facebook threads that things might be getting more reasonable.

Donunder 02-13-2018 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guye (Post 1438339)
However I understand engineering to RTA standards in NSW is very tricky at present...

As an example, read the recent post on windscreen wipers.
Who needs this aggro?
Buy an existing registered car and save yourself some heartburn.

Jethrow 02-13-2018 06:48 AM

The Factory Five cars are fairly close to an Ikea type kit. You get a lot of stuff with them, and the amount of extra fab is minimal.

Modena 02-15-2018 03:50 PM

If you can't put together a Pace or a FF, you probably can't modify an existing car either. Assuming you can, the decision is really whether you want to go through a build process, or you're more interested in just owning a Cobra that's already on the road, and hence modifying someone else's build.

For me, I wanted to build my own, not just buy one already running, but that decision is one you have to make on your own.

328stig 02-16-2018 08:12 PM

Thanks everyone.. appreciate all your comments... I will give this more thought��