Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   mystery cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/140966-mystery-cobra.html)

Firebirdw72 05-25-2018 05:29 AM

mystery cobra

Hi guys , Robbie here in Tassie . Late last year I bought a Cobra from Melbourne , that I was led to believe was a Superformance built car .
Being new to Cobras , and being a bit impulsive , I bought the car in good faith , but am now trying to figure out what I actually have bought .
this car has a 530 cubic inch Chev BB in it , auto transmission and 9 inch rear , is dark blue in colour , with white stripes . I have tried to load photos of it but cannot figure out how to do it !!!
I purchased the car from a Mick Keskic who told me he bought it from South Africa . It does have a Shamrock Cobra logo between the seats , but other than that has no tags or plates to say what it is . The previous owner isn't forthcoming with any info so I was hoping someone out there might know the car and could shed some light on what I have .
Any help would be much appreciated . . .
Robbie Kingston , Hobart

cjsammut 05-25-2018 10:07 AM

You have exactly that...a Shamrock Cobra with Sth African origin.

stephen low 05-25-2018 05:10 PM

Set up an imgbox or similar account save your photos there and then upload into your posts. However I think you need 10 posts first to then qualify for photo uploading through this forum.

Pictures will be the best medium to enable others to assess what you might have.

As the say Caveat Emptor.......but provided your base elements are suitable no reason why you can't develop the car into something that suits your needs.

itempany 05-26-2018 11:24 PM

I was in RSA a couple of months ago and the only Ac Cobra I saw was a Shamrock Ac Cobra and I heard that they are not made any more over there. They certainly not a superformance quality unit

Firebirdw72 05-28-2018 03:11 AM

Hi guys, thanks for the response , i have had several attempts at loading photos to help my cause , but have had no luck (im not tech savvy) . I was curious to know if it was unusual for a cobra to be installed with a 530 cubic inch Chev BB . Its a BIG ENGINE !!!! And has massive amounts of torque !!!!
I wasnt looking for a Cobra , just looking for an old school American Muscle Car with a big block and lots of attitude . Thats certainly what i have , but i would just like to know more about it . As i said , the previous owner wont answer my calls . He told me its a 2002 model , but it was registered as a 1987 model . There is nothing on the chasis to tell me when it was built , and the only reason i could register it here in Tassie was because it had rego history in Australia

Firebirdw72 07-14-2018 04:52 AM

Hi again guys , I had a 'lightbulb' moment and emailed the dealership that I was told the Cobra came from in South Africa and was informed that yes , they did sell it to the guy I bought it from who indeed imported it into Australia . It turns out my car is a 1992 Shamrock Cobra fitted when new with a 530 BB Chev .

Donunder 07-15-2018 04:25 AM

Well that solves that question. Now you know it's ancestry, I'd be getting back on to the dealer and finding out all you can about Shamrock cars and about your car in particular. They may even have tucked away somewhere a sales brochure and engineering details of the brand.

Secondly, unless you're mechanically profficient, get the car thoroughly checked by someone you trust.

Thirdly congratulate yourself that you live in Tassie where you have registration authorities who apparently have a more relaxed and common sense approach to re-registering cars such as ours.

Finally, enjoy the heck out of it, and well done on your purchase !

Dominik 07-17-2018 11:12 PM

Shamrock Cobras all had Jaguar XJ suspension front and rear. But so did the KCCs.

You may find that quite a few home builders in SA made Cobras and attached any name to them which helped with registration.

Or, established manufactures played with alternative parts. Meaning, I won't rule out a Shamrock having 9" diff.

Firebirdw72 08-08-2018 12:52 AM

Hi guys , thanks heaps for your replies , and sorry for the slow response , i dont get on the forum that often .
Yes Don , i agree , the rego laws here are pretty good , i did you my homework before buying the Cobra , to make sure i vould get it registered . I could only register it on "Special Interest" reg , which is like club reg , and that suits me fine !
Anyway , i am going to sell my Cobra . I was really looking for an early big block Camaro when i impulsively bought it , and am now going back to plan "A".
I am putting the word out on this forum first , because to be honest , i dont know what its worth !
It has a very healthy 530 cubic inch Chev , Hughes built , manualised T400 and a 9 inch . I got some info from the dealer in South Africa and have been informed it makes 400kw/800 nm at the rear wheels !!! It is an absolute beast to drive and has WAY more power than i know what to do with !!!
I cant put photos on this forum , so my phone number is 0447326659 and maybe you experienced Cobra guys can contact me , and i can msg some photos that way .
Would sure appreciate it , and please , be brutally honest . The Cobra owes me k , which i would like to think was a reasonable investment . Thanks in advance !
Robbie

cycleguy55 08-08-2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firebirdw72 (Post 1449287)
Hi guys , thanks heaps for your replies , and sorry for the slow response , i dont get on the forum that often .
Yes Don , i agree , the rego laws here are pretty good , i did you my homework before buying the Cobra , to make sure i vould get it registered . I could only register it on "Special Interest" reg , which is like club reg , and that suits me fine !
Anyway , i am going to sell my Cobra . I was really looking for an early big block Camaro when i impulsively bought it , and am now going back to plan "A".
I am putting the word out on this forum first , because to be honest , i dont know what its worth !
It has a very healthy 530 cubic inch Chev , Hughes built , manualised T400 and a 9 inch . I got some info from the dealer in South Africa and have been informed it makes 400kw/800 nm at the rear wheels !!! It is an absolute beast to drive and has WAY more power than i know what to do with !!!
I cant put photos on this forum , so my phone number is 0447326659 and maybe you experienced Cobra guys can contact me , and i can msg some photos that way .
Would sure appreciate it , and please , be brutally honest . The Cobra owes me 55k , which i would like to think was a reasonable investment . Thanks in advance !
Robbie

You can post photos in any one of a number of sites (e.g. Google Photos, Tumblr, Flickr, etc), then post URLs / links to those photos in your comments.

You might also want to post your car in the CC classifieds: http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds/showcat.php/cat/2

Firebirdw72 08-22-2018 02:37 AM

I have advertised my Cobra on Gumtree (with photos !!!) . check it out , Shamrock Cobra , in Tasmania .

TbirdSmith 04-15-2023 03:40 AM

Hi all, I see this is an old thread, but I built a Shamrock Cobra back in 2012-2014. Shamrock was a company that used to produce them back in the day but have since closed their doors. The fundamentals are built well and strong. I have a stack of information if anyone is looking for it.