Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Making room (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/141171-making-room.html)

Marlox 07-06-2018 05:38 PM

Making room

So now now that I've got a cobra I need some advice to create a little room. I've searched around on the forum and found a few ideas ie seat cushioning etc. To be honest I'm not sitting all that high, its more about how close the pedals are. I spoke to a guy years ago who had a DRB and modified his pedals to sit further away from him but have since lost any contact details. Any guys on here done that sought of work that can lend some advice? The work done on Donunders cobra would be awesome, but I reckon if I could just get those pedals back a bit I'd be on a win. Oh, and it's auto so only got 2 pedals for my size 14s to worry about ;)

Jethrow 07-09-2018 12:20 AM

Kirkeys Vintage seats. Very thin. They lower you AND move you rearwards away from the pedals. Comfort is OK too.

spookypt 07-09-2018 01:54 AM

Just remember to check the seats meet ADR. I have a full containment seat in my race car from kirkey and it’s great but the amount of nose to tail bingles we have in qld I’d be stearing away from Seats without a head rest. The rear bulk head is the perfect neck snapper but to each their own. Just my 2c.

Marlox 07-09-2018 03:48 AM

Yeah spook I'm kinda with you there. It's amazing how perspective changes when you know your own kids will be driving with you. I'm kinda thinking around doing a chop and weld to the pedals, they're pretty old school and chunky.

Bender 07-10-2018 07:17 PM

Hi Marlox. Before you cut and change the pedal. Best to jack car up. Take 2 off wheels. Attach bleed bottle to one front caliper and one rear caliper. Crack bleed nipples and push pedal down until the master cyl stops. Measure distance from pedal to firewall. This is the maximum distance you can move the pedal forward to have full travel of the m/cyl. Best would be to move the pedal pivot forward shorten pushrod to keep the pedal at good operating angle. I have a Gforce Cobra under construction. I was looking at modifying the front of the rear inner wheel arch on mine to move the seat rearward. On my car even if the wheel is all the way up in the arch the tyre would still bee 100mm plus away from the inner wheel arch at the front. A remodel there will allow alot more room to move the seat back. Just a thought. Maybe worth a look on your car.

Marlox 07-10-2018 10:43 PM

Thanks mate, great advice.

Marlox 07-17-2018 06:58 PM

OK, so the seats that I found tolerable in my cobra need to be reupholstered, which I was OK with because theyre not bad seats, just worn. . My thinking was that I'd have most of the padding taken out when getting this done to suit my size. That train left once I got a few quotes. I'm sure the labour and materials would come to what the quotes are but there is no way I'll pay quadruple a seats rrp on reupholstering. So, I need suggestions on seats that will give me some much needed room. The kirkey vintage look great and from all reports will do what I need but being a dad I'd really like something with a headrest to keep my kids safer in case of an accident. I found an older thread on here that mentioned Whitepointer but can't find anything on them, and it was only in reference to a clubby so I really don't know how'd they sit in a cobra. Any suggestions guys?

Rob. Smith 07-18-2018 05:18 AM

Maybe shop around, google then phone some interstate mobs for quotes on re-upholster ... A lot of searching may find what you need. Try other car clubs.. clubmans , minis etc.

Marlox 07-18-2018 05:41 AM

Hey Rob, yeah I think outside of my area will be what will happen. It's a shame because I'd like to support local. It has been offered to me to purchase some Pace seats that aren't being used, so maybe buying those and having them upholstered before they get sent up? There's been a heap of suggestions on the Fb group on different solutions which has been great. I guess I just liked the idea of supporting a local business and having everything done close by. But for $2k per 20 year old seat, I think I'll have to shop outside of my local area.