Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   What to look out for when buying an AC (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/144859-what-look-out-when-buying-ac.html)

dexxxx 05-23-2021 08:43 PM

What to look out for when buying an AC

3 Attachment(s)
Hi All

Going to see an AC in 2 weeks time and was wondering what type of things I should be looking out for?

I am not the most mechanically gifted guy or understand cars in mechanical detail. What I do know is that the AC is my dream car and would love to own one soon rather than later.

Some details I have been given about the car:
1995 AC Cobra replica
15,000km
Supercharged 302cu
C4 auto
Jag rear end
Side pipes not connected
Engine immobiliser

Mr Barnwood 05-24-2021 10:16 PM

You probably should mention the asking price, it would be a good piece of information to share. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum that can help you not get taken advantage of.

dexxxx 05-24-2021 10:18 PM

Apologies. Asking price is $70,000

I will also be going to see Kenmer in Noble Park this weekend to get a feel for what their work is like for a custom built AC

saki302 05-24-2021 10:20 PM

Way way high.

For that kind of money you could get a clean big block superformance, maybe even an ERA.

dexxxx 05-24-2021 10:22 PM

that is $70K AUD

Dimis 05-25-2021 05:34 AM

Welcome.
Go see Marty at Kenmer eng.
He won't steer you wrong.
Best wishes

saki302 05-27-2021 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dexxxx (Post 1493245)
that is $70K AUD

Still close to $55K USD- that would buy you a used but solid superformance.

Unless you're in love with the car and MUST have it..

IMO a positive displacement supercharger on one of these would make it a beast to drive.
Running a 427R, the beauty is it drives nice and easy if you keep the revs down. Supercharged, you can probably break those tires loose in any gear. At least my Avons stick in 4-5 and sometimes 3rd.

Also, old automatics suck to drive. If you forgot how the old 70s autos felt.. they're terrible compared to the computer controlled autos of the 2000s and up. Resale is bad too, people want manuals in these, rightfully so.

-Dave

twobjshelbys 05-28-2021 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saki302 (Post 1493362)
Still close to $55K USD- that would buy you a used but solid superformance.

Unless you're in love with the car and MUST have it..

IMO a positive displacement supercharger on one of these would make it a beast to drive.
Running a 427R, the beauty is it drives nice and easy if you keep the revs down. Supercharged, you can probably break those tires loose in any gear. At least my Avons stick in 4-5 and sometimes 3rd.

Also, old automatics suck to drive. If you forgot how the old 70s autos felt.. they're terrible compared to the computer controlled autos of the 2000s and up. Resale is bad too, people want manuals in these, rightfully so.

-Dave

The rules for engagement in Australia are way different than the US. Much more restrictive for engines. Some even resort to using, gasp, a Chevy engine.

twobjshelbys 05-28-2021 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saki302 (Post 1493244)
Way way high.

For that kind of money you could get a clean big block superformance, maybe even an ERA.

The price is in $AU, but Australia is their own market. You can't just import a US built car there... Getting a car in (permanently) is almost as hard as getting a person in.

Treeve 05-30-2021 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1493387)
The price is in $AU, but Australia is their own market. You can't just import a US built car there... Getting a car in (permanently) is almost as hard as getting a person in.

As someone who emigrated here and brought a car here, I can tell you getting people in is heaps easier.