Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   750HP we need an update!! (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/20998-750hp-we-need-update.html)

Aussie Mike 10-15-2002 06:30 AM

750HP we need an update!!

How is that monster motor coming along? Have you bolted it in yet? When do we get to see that beast shred some rubber?

Cheers

Mike Braddock 10-15-2002 07:09 AM

Yeah, what Mike asked :)?

And what did you finally decide to put behind that monster for a crashbox?

Mike

750hp 10-16-2002 04:18 AM

Well, as much as I'd like to say that I've taken it out for it's first drice - I can't :( I'm at the point now where I'm hoping that Scott OZVENOM can do the majority of the final fabrication and assembly. Sure, I'll be hanging around over there and getting in his way whenver possible, but I'd REALLY like the car to be finished and driving before Christmas.

The motor is fully tuned now, and just waiting for me to throw some fuel and spark it's way.

We have just about finished - and I kid you not - the world's largest ever Cobra bonnet (hood). This bohemoth lies nearly 5" taller at the rear than a standard bonnet. It's certainly imposing, and it's also unfortunately a requirement to fit my motor and intercooler plumbing underneath. I just keep standing back and laughing at what we're creating. I hope the local Police will see the funny side of it all %/ Scott's shorther than I am, and he couldn't drive the car as his line of sight is under the bulging scoop!!! :eek:

Transmissions are still a sore point with me. I have always thought that a Cobra with an auto trans somehow missed the very essence of a performance sports car. Granted, many people are forced to use them for health or other reasons, others just want a cruiser. I found that without paying big bucks for a G-force or Holinger straight-cut geared, dog engagement racing trans, I really had no option but to use an auto.

I'm using a Powerglide with all the fruit. It will not fail, no matter what abuse I could throw it's way. I have used them before in high horsepower applications, and I just know that it's at least one component that I won't have to replace shortly after getting the car on the road....

I can't wait to drive this thing. Dad keeps making noises about getting the traction control fitted before I start driving it, and Scott keeps scaring me with tales of rollovers and my need for a full competition style roll bar. My trans guy thinks I'm crazy, and the dyno guy politely refused an offer of being in the car for it's maiden test drive. Am I missing something?? :confused: :JEKYLHYDE:

wilf leek 10-16-2002 05:59 AM

Craig - way to go mate, and keep us updated.

lot's of us want the vicarious details when you first put the pedal to the metal.

Wilf

Aussie Mike 10-17-2002 04:36 PM

Sounds like you are making some serious progress!

Re the bonnet, if the rest of the car is so extreme then why not. Reminds me of that Spinal Tap song that goes The bigger the cushion the better the pushin, if you know what I mean...

I'l be up in Queensland for a few days in November and it would be good to catch up.

Cheers

750hp 10-18-2002 03:42 AM

Mike, there are a few racing events throughout November - at Morgan Park, Noosa and Qld Raceway. Are you planning on being up here over a weekend?

I don't think that either Scott's car or mine will be finished in November, but I'm sure we could show you a few others.

Rebel1 10-23-2002 04:47 PM

the world's largest ever Cobra bonnet (hood).

Oi Craig, was over scotts place the other day..You're right about your bonnet, looks mean tho.

Now, If you can figure some way of fitting a small water jet to that bonnet, you could have a built in jet ski. :D

750hp 10-24-2002 04:43 AM

Rebel - I hope that having some paint on it will make it shrink somewhat. Every time I look at the damn thing, it seems to grow another few inches. If only that were the case in other aspects :rolleyes:

I might put a water spray on the intercooler, so we're on the way to a jetski!!!

How's your car coming along?

Rebel1 10-24-2002 05:37 AM

How's your car coming along?

HeHe..well..your bonnet does look a lil like an upside down jet ski. :D

Regards mine .. I'm giving scott the rolling chassis after he frees up a lil .. He is going to modify the front end a little..give more suspension travel and minimise any bump steer these things have. He also has a easy system for adjusting toe in on the jag diff. Bunch of other things he can do too.

I've been working ( not often enough ) on the body. Real pleased with how its come up. Frankly, I underestimated the amount of work to be done on these bodies. The more I do, the more I find to do. Maybe I'm a little fussy. %/

Then its motor decision time ..... I'm still thinking maybe a stroked 351 instead of the 347.

Next June is my deadline..and will make it too.

Take care

750hp 10-24-2002 05:52 AM

Mmmm, stroked 351 - good choice!!!!! When you're closer to making a decision though, talk to Tony O'Connor - TOCA Automotive in Slacks Creek. Ph 3290 1606. Tell him it's for a Cobra and that I sent you. He's a Cobra fan, and he builds THE BEST Ford motors in the country.

A warning though.... if you're not careful, you'll have a 600+hp naturally aspirated small block on pump gas in that car by the time he's finished with you. He's not a smooth talking salesman, but you just can't help wanting to buy all the good stuff when you see what he's done for other guys cars!!!

Rebel1 10-24-2002 06:08 AM

stroked 351 - good choice!!!

Craig... I guess its the cobra image that has me thinking..It looks like a car which should lethal...and the new GT Falcons are coming with a worked 5.4. and they WILL be lethal

Would get right under my nose to be knocked off by one.

Thanks for the info on TOCA, I will certainly give them a call.

Take care