Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-09-2003, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to lextreme
Neutral     

Well, the 4.0 is very small comparing to the 5.0, 5.8 or the 7.0. However, the Lexus V8 DOHC is a very effecient engine with turbos, this engine has the capability to make monsterous power. There have been many cases that 1UZFE made over 1500-2700 rwhp. We are talking about stock block. I dont think the American V8 can handle that type of punishment.

Secondly, the Lexus V8 is incrediblely durable. Its is very common for this engine to have 400-600k miles life span. Reliability? This engine is the best of the best from Japan. This engine is the bigger brother of the Supra TT (2JZ-GTE). If you think the supra TT make killer power, you should see this V8.

Someday, i would like to put this engine with two T3 turbos into the Factory Five Replica.

With only 2200 lbs, how much torque do u need to spin the tires? Not too much.

I had americans and I know.
-Looking for a 92 Pearl White SC400 with high miles (Single Turbo or Supercharged Project)
Old 03-10-2003, 01:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Ernie - torque is KING - end of story. If your engine doesn't make much torque, it'll never feel good in your Cobra (unless you can rev your engine to 18000+ like an F1 racecar).

F1 motors only make around 280lb/ft torque, but they make it at 18000rpm. As a result, they're making horsepower in the high 800s. If their torque peaked at street car levels of engine rpm (say 4000), then it would only make 213hp!!!

On a much lesser scale, when I had my motor on the dyno it made 705lb/ft of torque at 6000rpm. Using the equation of HP = (tq x rpm) / 5252 , my motor was making 805hp. Next run, we went to 6400rpm, where the motor mainained a peak of exactly 705lb/ft. This meant that simply by holding the torque peak for another 400rpm increased horsepower by an EXTRA 54hp!!!!

Torque is what you feel while you're accelerating. The more torque you have across the rpm range, the better for a street engine. The higher up in the rpm range you can sustain torque, as a simple mathematical equation, the more horsepower that you will make.

LEXTREME - sooner or later OZVENOM will get back from picking up his newborn and wife from the hospital, and he'll definitely agree with your comments about the durability of the standard components inside the Lexus V8. I have a feeling that he'll put a couple of big mother turbos on his car down the track, just to see what they're capable of. Now that he has the Motec engine management system with Lambda tuning functions, the sky's the limit as far as pushing the engine harder. Good luck with your projects!
Old 03-29-2009, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     

hi im a newbie to this site ,if i was building a cobra again i would be installing the quad cam 4 litre lexus engine with a later add on of a twin turbo set up .over the years i have worked and modified many engines but have seen not too many close to this one as v8s go. this engine with some bolt ons can make serious power with reliability, and this would make for a happy cobra owner who could spend more time driving their pride and joy rather on the tools working on it , isnt that what cobras are all about. they sure look good go like crazy and are a great too drive .
Old 03-29-2009, 09:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Neutral     

This is an old thread you've dredged up.

Scotty's Cobra evolved into this single turbo lexus monster.

It was the fastest thing on the track ath the nationals a couple of years back even with wheel spin for most of the straight.

It's since been rebuilt into something a bit more civilized but none the less very exciting with an 8x T/B naturally aspirated engine. This is a great car with a great look.

Welcome to the forum

Cheers

Old 03-30-2009, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Now built a race cobra.
Not Ranked     
Talking that brings back memories.

Hi judge i am still playing with the 1uz v8 they have been very good to me . thanks mike for the pics .i now have a race cobra in partner ship with Matt who bought my old cobra and made it beautifull. to nice to race so now we have the
bad asp. with the same turbo setup.
my new towing car is going to be implanted with lexus v8 and a supercharger just to help with towing.
oz.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

When I started building my cobra (about 2001) I took a couple of hours to measure one up and found that it wouldn't fit in an RMC body. They were about $2,500 then for a half cut.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's my Lexus baby.

If you buy a front cut and sell the junk you don't need you end up with a very cheap engine.

It's a doctors car in wolfs clothing, can't wait to bolt the supercharger back on Mr Hyde.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_0-5...e=channel_page
Old 04-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1993 G-Force Cobra, Ford Falcon V8 "Sold 1996"
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
After OZVENOM took me for a ride in his new "gelcoat black with racing stripes" Cobra, I have a new respect for the Lexus 4.0L quad cam, 32 valve V8s! Scott's car feels like it just wants to rev and rev. In stock form, it makes pretty good low rpm torque and the overall performance is great - kinda makes the Ford V8s look a bit silly in comparison

Considering the alum block, forged crank/rods/pistons, 6 bolt mains with a girdle, etc etc -- for around $1300- ($700-USD) these motors are the absolute undisputed bargain motor for a Cobra. No wonder he keeps getting orders for conversions into all sorts of cars.

The Cobra's the important one though - now I'm wondering if I should have had Scott build me a 700 or 800hp twin turbo Lexus motor, rather than the motor I currently own. I probably would have been about $20,000- better off.....

Do not know about OZ but here in Japan we have the 5.0L and now a 5.7L Toyota V8 with VVT-i. I have driven a Lexus LS600 Price tag $105,000 and it just glides. Drove my brothers HSV last time I was in Perth and have to say would never buy or use a LS motor in anything but maybe for a boat anchor.

Last edited by Tatsushige; 04-07-2009 at 10:50 PM..
Old 04-07-2009, 10:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Wink See Holdens are good for something!!

Quote:
Drove my brothers HSV last time I was in Perth and have to say would never buy or use a LS motor in anything but maybe for a boat anchor.
There you have it folks, the definitive new age boat anchor, lightweight and will never rust!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We also have the Toyota V12 here .. it is a 5.0L and only used in the Century they also make a 5.2L V12 but that is only sold to Russia

Here is a Ultima with a 4.0L Twin Turbo Toyota V8

Last edited by Tatsushige; 04-07-2009 at 11:25 PM..
Old 04-07-2009, 11:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsushige View Post
Drove my brothers HSV last time I was in Perth and have to say would never buy or use a LS motor in anything but maybe for a boat anchor.
I dunno about that. Bolt a couple of hair dryers on on and see what hapens.

Cheers

Old 04-08-2009, 12:57 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Inline 6 Toyota .... .... Enjoy!

Everyone in the Family are HOLDEN mad ... Old man had the 350GTS Monaro got it new when he was a kid, Sold it about 7 years ago, Both younger brothers have had Commodore, SS and now HSVs. Sister has a Astra (Nissan Pulsar).

Me

Mitsubishi, Honda, Toyota, BMW, Lexus plus Westfield with Toyota MR engine, Cobra with Ford Falcon Engine. Now Toyota Prius and going for the RB540 with a 5.0L Toyota engine.

Last edited by Tatsushige; 04-08-2009 at 01:06 AM..
Old 04-08-2009, 01:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Getting Toyota parts or repairing Toyotas is a lot easier and cheaper then Holden or Ford .

Inline 6 Toyota ....

Thats the case if you live in Japan, so suits your situation, where as if you still live in Australia you will find that it is easier to get the LS1 stuff. (I do have some knowledge on this subject being a past service department manager in a multi franchise dealer, that dealt with both makers)
But ultimatly it is just about all purchased online so it does not matter what you use for power as it is all available world wide.

And regarding the LS series as used for boat anchors, that is no good as they are too light.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Quote:
... Old man had the 350GTS Monaro got it new when he was a kid, Sold it about 7 years ago
Now there's the real deal. Anyone can bolt mega horsepower forced induction to an engine but nobody can bring back the old Monaros, GTHOs, etc. And if he says no regrets selling it, he's lying.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:25 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo View Post
Now there's the real deal. Anyone can bolt mega horsepower forced induction to an engine but nobody can bring back the old Monaros, GTHOs, etc. And if he says no regrets selling it, he's lying.
OH he hates himself for selling it .... I wanted it when he died but he sold it for a Landcruiser because both him and my mother go rock hunting.

If I knew he was selling it I would have brought it, but I was overseas and did not find out until I returned to OZ for a holiday.

I would have had it shipped to Japan and put in a Glass box in the lounge

Last edited by Tatsushige; 04-08-2009 at 02:29 AM..
Old 04-10-2009, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK Cobra, Jag based Lexus 1UZFE Engine and box
Not Ranked     

Holy thread resurrection....

Well I never, this is the thread that started me on my 1UZFE journey following my completion of my BMW 4.4 V8 Cobra.

Its a fine coincidence that last Friday I took the Cobra for testing and government approval and bar a couple of small tweaks, nothing to do with mechanicals or engine / box, the first 1UZFE powered Cobra is now finished and almost legal.

Suffice to say following the test we took the long way home and if anything the Lexus V8 Cobra seems to be slightly quicker than the BMW powered Cobra, mainly because of a reduction in weight. The BMW engine/gearbox is, it seems, a good 60 to 70 kilos heavier that the Lexus engine/gearbox.

Now I just have to get enough cash together to get its stablemate/ sister Lexus powered number two Cobra finished and then we can start playing with the twin turbo installation that I have planned.

Cheers,

Tony
Old 04-10-2009, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well done Tony for getting number 1 on the road.

I presume you got your brake input to the ecu sorted?

I'm off for another tuning run today up through the hills, my car drives better every time I drive it. My ecu is tuning itself, the hills are the cheapest dyno in town.

I have even done the 50 cents on edge trick on the top of the engine right up to 6,500 rpm.

Fuel consumption is at 9 lt / 100km.

Next stop is the Eaton TVS supercharger with 12 psi pulley (and a better clutch)

Oh what a feeling
Old 04-11-2009, 03:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK Cobra, Jag based Lexus 1UZFE Engine and box
Not Ranked     

Hi Cobber,

Yes we are very pleased here, the grin factor has certaiunly kicked in big time. My mate Tim just describes the car as "awesome, absolutely awesome" and he drives thespare LS400 donor car almost daily. Colin Chapman certainly knew what he was talking about when he said

" To make a car go faster add lightness"

Remove all that metal, leather, plastic, carpet and glass from around the Lexus combo and it comes alive.......

Cheers,

Tony
Old 04-11-2009, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now your registered it's time to play. The factory ecu is very conservative in it's tune so your next step should be to go aftermarket ecu and maybe manual box, when you run out of lightness to add there is always forced induction.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: