Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Cobra Quiz Time (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/45503-cobra-quiz-time.html)

PCC 09-19-2003 11:59 PM

Cobra Quiz Time

Having read most of the technical and personal issues on this forum, which I would add are generally very informative I think its about time we tested those who are interested on some of your Cobra History (apologies if its been done before).

And just to keep your interest, I am willing to offer a carton of crownies for the first with the correct answers.

Note - the only problem is that you will have to come up here (Brisbane) to collect it (or share it). Les, down here for you.

Here goes.....Questions:

1. We all know the Cobra was derived from the AC Ace, but whom was the designer of the AC Ace?

2. What was the list price for the first Shelby Cobra (US$)?

3. What colour was the very first works Shelby team car (CSX2002)?

4. What does the X signify in CSX?

5. What was the nickname for the 289 engine?

6. We all know the original cobras were shod with halibrand wheels with goodyear tyres. However prior to this what type of wheels were commonly used?

7. What instrumentation item was always included in the dash of race cars, but hardly ever connected up? why was this so?

8. Why did 427 Cobra's never raced as part of the Shelby Works Team?

9. Again we all know that Shelby used blue for his works cars from 1964 onwards. However, the yanks changed the name of this colour from what to what?

10. What was unusual about the boot of the Le-Mans Cobra? and why?

Go for it men.....hope the response is good.

The first crownie has already gone.....sorry guys

PCC (Peter Craig)

PCC 09-20-2003 12:07 AM

2 Crownies gone......

At this rate the carton will be finished by tomorrow night.

PCC

Shelby400 09-20-2003 12:26 AM

Yeh, I'm a slow drinker as well.

mrmustang 09-20-2003 02:14 AM

Can I play ?

Bill S.

pderouss 09-20-2003 04:56 AM

Here goes:-

1. John Tojeiro - who by the way still is involved with the UK replica manufacturer Dax.

2. $5995

3. Red

4. Export

5. HiPo - for High Performance

6. Wires

7. Speedo. FIA rules demanded that one was fitted.

8. Because too few were built to qualify for homologation

9. Princess Blue became Viking Blue

10. The boot (trunk) hinges from it's lower edge and has a smaller opening in order to allow it's use while the hard top is fitted.

PCC 09-20-2003 05:27 AM

Hmmm,

Beers on ice - ready whenever you come over.

Quick quiz that one.

Trust a pomme to come straight back with the answers.

Answer to six was Dunlop wheels, but who knows they could have also been called wires.

Nice looking race car you have.

Hope Goodwood's as good as it was 10 years ago when I was last there.

PCC (Peter)

REPTYL 09-20-2003 05:39 AM

Quote:

9. Again we all know that Shelby used blue for his works cars from 1964 onwards. However, the yanks changed the name of this colour from what to what?
Quote:

9. Princess Blue became Viking Blue
I've herd of Viking Blue but not Princess.
I thought Guardsman Blue was one of the original Shelby Colours.
Or was that a colour option for the road going cobras?

PCC 09-20-2003 05:48 AM

Princess blue was what AC used in the UK.

Shelby re-named it Viking and used it on his cars in '64.

Guardsman Blue was used by the Yanks in 1965 (slightly darker than Viking).

I suppose that's why you see so many blue Cobra's (as mine is "mica").

Hope that helps

PCC

pderouss 09-20-2003 05:56 AM

I'll book the ticket!

I think the Dunlop wheels ( same as those fitted to Jaguars) were only fitted to European racers as they couldn't get Halibrands in time. In the US wire wheels were fitted to some of the early cars but were not strong enough to handle the torque.

Princess Blue was the same colour as Viking Blue but the name was considered too "pooftary" for the Americans ( no clever comments about the Brits please). Gaurdsman Blue is a darker shade that Ford insisted on in order to make it more like the Blue in the Ford Oval. This was used on later racers. By the way Oval blue has changed over the years - gradually getting darker over time due to reproduction problems so a reversion back to the original lighter colour was introduced a few years ago.

Goodwood - both the festival and the revival - are absolutely fantastic still. I now plan my entire year around them. Wish I did have a racer - mine is just a road car (EDC47C) though it keeps me happy!

Woodz428 09-20-2003 05:56 AM

PCC,
Does that last post mean you've finished the Crownies?

REPTYL 09-20-2003 08:11 AM

Excellent work on getting that information guys.....:)

PCC 09-21-2003 03:25 AM

Thanks Jason.

Comments appreciated.

Why Reptyl?

PCC (Peter)

REPTYL 09-21-2003 03:44 AM

Cobra is a snake.
Snake is a Reptile.
Reptile has too many letters for a number plate in Victoria.

BMK 09-21-2003 05:43 AM

Woodz428

Will bring the Crownies over to the 'Run N Gun'. :3DSMILE:

**)

You have the ice ready. :eek:

Robert Logan from Roarin Forties coming over also.

Better make that two dozen (per day) %/

Cheers

Bernie

Bernie Knight
Mt. Gambier South Australia

PCC 09-21-2003 05:49 AM

Where the hell is the run n gun?

Crownies gone - posted to the homeland (empties anyway)

PCC