Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Progress update (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/50053-progress-update.html)

Aussie Mike 02-03-2004 05:57 AM

Progress update

I've just added a few progress photos to my gallery. Not that much progress lately, just some odds and ends I've been working on. Been pretty busy with famiy and work.

I machined up a boss and horn button for the steering wheel before Christmass: Steering wheel

I've just about finished making the brake and clutch pedal: Pedals

I've fitted up the pin drive adaptors I got from Superformance. I had to drill them for the Jag stud pattern as they only came with a Ford bolt circle. I machined up some caps for the centers too. Still waiting for the wheels to be finished: Knock Off

Cheers

ledge 02-03-2004 02:21 PM

Looks great mike ,
Your a very clever man :MECOOL:

750hp 02-03-2004 06:19 PM

It's all looking great Mike !

Are you allowed to have a balance bar & dual brake m/cyls in Vic?

boxhead 02-04-2004 03:35 AM

Its all looking good there Mike.

Keep up the work and pics.

BMK 02-04-2004 03:52 AM

Hey Mike

It is sure looking good. If you head up to Hanging Rock on Sunday may call in and check it out after??

Bernie

Cameron Parsons 02-04-2004 05:33 PM

Very nice Mike. Did the AC center caps for the knock off hubs come from SPF also?

Aussie Mike 02-04-2004 07:59 PM

Thanks guys,

Craig, I believe the balannce bar is OK for registration as long as it's locked up and isn't externally adjustable (the knob on the dash will be installed after rego) If one circuit fails the pedal can still exert pressure on the other master cylinder so it's safe.

Bernie, It doesn't look like I'll be going to Hanging rock. The wife and I are off to Castlemaine for a naughty week end. We'll be back on Sunday afternoon, what time were you thinking of coming by?

Cameron, The knock off adaptors didn't have any caps just a hollow end. I machined the caps from billet and they are a snug push in fit with 2 O rings to hold them in place and keep the dirt out.

Cheers

Mohuska 02-04-2004 08:03 PM

I see a problem

Mike....just thought you might like to know....you're steering wheel...

IS ON THE WRONG SIDE!!:3DSMILE:

Rebel1 02-04-2004 09:12 PM

Looks great Mike.

Hey, I take it your right leg is stronger than the left....thats why the brake pedal is considerable thicker. :JEKYLHYDE

Or...are you planning on doing heaps of heavy braking? :D

boxhead 02-06-2004 03:19 AM

Looks like the wheel is on the RIGHT side to me. :D

Aussie Mike 02-11-2004 09:10 PM

Speaking of steering... I did a few mods to my steering rack the other night. With the Jaguar steering arm and tie rod end where they are clearance for widere front rims is limited on my car. I'm going with 17x8" rims for the front at this stage but I'd like to possibly go to a 17x9.5 later with some wider front rubber.

To make a bit more clearance I've replaced the tie rod ends that where mounted on the underside of the steering arm with rod ends (or heim joints as they are sometimes called) mounted on the top of the steering arm. The angle on the arms in relation to the steering is pretty close this way so the steering geometry still good (possibly better now) but I'll have to re check the bump steer figures before I know for sure.

The rod ends are chrome molly and teflon lined and have a much higher rating than the original tie rod end. I machined the mounting washers with a wide lip so that if the ball in the joint does break or come loose the joint can't pull off over the washer. The washers and threaded sleeve are all done in bright steel so should be plenty strong enough. There is a left and right end thread in the sleeve that efectivley doubles the ammount of adjustment available as compared to using female rod ends.

This is probably pretty boring but I get a kick out of machining this stuff up. It certainly beats doing body work.

there's a pic here: steering

Cheers

NASSTY 02-11-2004 10:12 PM

Looks good Mike:)

Just wondering; did you drill your rotors yourself? I was thinking about using dba gold series replacement rotors for my Jag front end instead of stock rotors. Does anyone have any opinions on dba gold series? My cob will only see track work on club days.

Cheers

boxhead 02-12-2004 01:09 AM

Mike I have a question regarding your steering rack.

When I mounted my suspension to get everything to where I work, I fitted it all with the standard jag bushes (no 6mm spacer) and I found the lower control arm pivot bolt and nut almost hits the steering rack rod, I suspect I will gain 6mm extra clearance once fitted up with neoprene bushes and the spacer (also I will shorten the bolt and fit nyloc nut)

My question is how close is your pivot bolt nut to the rack?