Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Radiator Hoses (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/51913-radiator-hoses.html)

PCC 03-22-2004 10:28 PM

Radiator Hoses

I'm looking for a set of polished rigid radiator hoses (the bits between the rubber hoses).

Any ideas on who supplies them for Cobra's?

If not, I'll have to get them fabricated.

Thanks guys.

cameron02 03-22-2004 11:43 PM

Maybe you could use exhaust pipe and get it chromed?

Or a tube bender maybe able to supply stainless steel.

PCC 03-23-2004 12:41 AM

That's an idea Cameron, but the problem I have is that the rad cap is positioned on the top pipe.

Could consider repositioning it.

Aussie Mike 03-23-2004 01:20 AM

Check out the nice radiator pipes that Leeroy made for his Classic Revival. Radiator pipes

He did them in stainless steel and they turned out very nice. They are off the shelf mandrel bends that he had welded together and linished. I don't think it worked out that expensive to make them. Hopefully he'll get on here and give you the details.

Cheers

Leeroy 03-23-2004 03:03 PM

Hi Peter,
I have a mob around the corner that supply s/steel fittings for the food industry. They have a large range of bends & sizes. They have some agents in Brisbane who might help. Tube Sales & Midway Steel. give them a call and tell them size you want. I just specified the I.D. of the radiator rubber tube suit an O.D. in s/steel, bit of mucking around but turned out ok. About $130 in fittings/stainless pipe.
Leeroy

Tony Cram 03-23-2004 03:04 PM

PCC

Most exhaust centres (I have a local Midas exhaust centre nearby) will bend whatever you need in stainless. Stainless is available in many odd sizes (I needed some 1 5/8" sections & 2" sections) and is easily poslished / linished at home using a bench grinder and polish pad.

You can spend a fortune if you dont know someone in the trade. I had several pieces bent up for around $100. All I did was make mock sections for them to make the bends and take the size of the radiator hoses for them to measure the best diameter tube.

I will try and get some shots on my profile.

Regards

TC

PCC 03-23-2004 03:16 PM

Thanks guys,

The exhaust centre is the way to guy.

A friend across the road owns one!

Will make an impromptu call.

The only problem I have is relocating the rad cap, which currently sits on the top pipe section.

Will have to think of a way of relocating it.

PCC 03-23-2004 03:18 PM

Leeroy,

Where's your rad cap in the photo Mike referred to?

Leeroy 03-23-2004 03:20 PM

Master Mike (Aussie Mike) designed up a nice filler tank which I copied I think his gallery might have a shot otherwise I'll post mine later

NASSTY 03-23-2004 04:18 PM

Leeroy,
Have you flaired the edges of you pipe so that the hose has something to clamp onto?

I've heard of Cobras getting hot & blowing off radiator hoses off stainless pipes b/c of no flairing on the pipes.

Or is that a load of Bull? :)

Cheers

Leeroy 03-23-2004 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think you might be right. I am intending to do just that as I think it is likely to blow off hose from s/steel pipe when very hot. Wasnt too sure how to flare it, thought I might try and run a weld bead around the O.D. to act as flare. Do you know if exhaust guys can flare? Also Peter attached is pic of Mikes filler tank
Leeroy

NASSTY 03-23-2004 04:47 PM

I would have thought a run of beads should do it - don't know if an exhaust shop can do it.

I was hoping you could tell me! :)

Someone must have a machine that does it?!

Cheers

Aussie Mike 03-23-2004 05:10 PM

I'm planning on copying Leeroy's set up as it looks excellent. I'll run a weld around the end with the TIG to act as a bead for the hose to grip. Leeroy, I'll do yours while I'm at it if you want.

The header tank was made by Norm at Aussie Desert Cooler in Preston. He does some excellent work and will make up what ever you want. The tank was about $120 from memory. All I've done is modify the brackets to fit the foot box and polish it.

Cheers

PCC 03-23-2004 05:36 PM

Hi Mike,

Just picked a chrome header tank off E-Bay ($45 US) including blue cap (posh!). Looks very much like yours.

Does it make any difference what level you sit it in relation to the top hose?

I would have thought that as long as the connecting hose is higher than the top rad hose it shouldn't be a problem.