Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Which Shock? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/54775-shock.html)

Cameron Parsons 06-17-2004 02:14 AM

Which Shock?

What do you Cobra experts consider the best shocks.

I would ideally like adjustable bump and rebound, also ride height adjustment.

Hard enough for the occasional track day, soft enough for a night out with my wife...

I have had the suggestion of Koni PN 8211 1330 B6

But I am clueless to their suitability

Thanks All

Cameron

PCC 06-17-2004 02:55 AM

Avo adjustables (coil over).

That's what my back will consist of once this bloody bathroom is over and done with.

Ask Ozvenom - he'll swear by them.

$800 - $900 per pair

boxhead 06-17-2004 05:59 AM

I will be ordering my AVO shockies in the next week or 2.

I have the recomended spring rates for the Classic revival cars but does anyone who has there car going have any feed back and recomendations as to what may be better?
Should I get heavier or lighter, Are your secondary coils (small ones) to light in spring rate?

rdorman 06-17-2004 06:58 AM

It is hard to go wrong with Koni double adjustable. Something to keep in mind is service. Koni is a logical choice for me because I have a local shop that can dyno, revalve, rebuild etc. I can give them the cars specs and use and they will set up the shocks. I know a number of people that have Superformance that have changed out their AVO shocks for I think Bilsteins. Ask around on the Superformance owner forum (sorry, don't know the address). What ever you do, don't just buy a shock because it fits. Obviously it needs to but the shock should be valved for your application. Of course, Superformance has already taken care of that because of the testing they have done and should be able to recommend a good starting point for valving.
Rick

Morris 06-17-2004 07:49 AM

Cameron

You asked for the best Shock.....

Penske 8100 double adjustable.... rebuildable... to perform any way you want....

Biggest secret in RR and Nascar...

Morris

RedBarchetta 06-17-2004 07:57 AM

A lot of guys is So Cal swear by the Bilsteins. The factory AVOs on my SPF....I'm not all that impressed with them. My opinion. I'm hoping to do a shock upgrade at the same time I swap to 17's....

coyled 06-17-2004 08:18 AM

Morris, are they adjustable in both low speed and high speed? Scott

rdorman 06-17-2004 08:31 AM

Koni makes a shock that is double adjustable at low, medium AND high speeds.

Penske also makes one heck of a shock.
Rick

Back in Black 06-17-2004 08:34 AM

Make mine Carrerra

Coil overs. You can see them in my photo gallery. Fully adjustable with the $15 Carrera tool

Cameron Parsons 06-17-2004 06:52 PM

Thanks for all the quality responses. The Penske 8100 series looks like a serious contender.

For those interested the Koni 82 series data can be found here.

Cameron

boxhead 06-28-2004 06:20 AM

I priced the Koni 82 series shocks today and was quoted $900.00 each plus $225.00 per pair of springs.

Does anyone know the contact for the Penske agents in Australia?

scottj 06-28-2004 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by boxhead

I priced the Koni 82 series shocks today and was quoted $900.00 each plus $225.00 per pair of springs.

Does anyone know the contact for the Penske agents in Australia?

http://www.penskeshocks.com/toppage1.htm

Aussie Mike 06-28-2004 04:19 PM

AVO make a billet aluminium double adjustable shock as well as their steel single adjustable ones. I've got the single adjustables AVOs on mine but I can't tell you how they perform yet.

I believe Austrack Motosport in Sydney are the AVO agent.

The Konis are excellent by all reports but pricey.

Cheers

justbetter 06-28-2004 04:36 PM

Hand Up

Sorry to listen in to your conversation .

I have a very good client who has a suspension co, if you guys list what you are after i will get you prices.

Know he has Koni, and springs etc.

Dont know a bout AVO but can do a group ask.

Let me know

Morris 06-28-2004 05:22 PM

Coyled

The Penske shocks are adjustable for low speed and high speed and you can buy the shim kit to change to any setting you want.

Also you can vary the Nitrogen pressure.... from 100# to 300# to fine tune....

The rebound is the most important control and you can change it with both the shims or get it close with the shim and use the adjuster...

They are just the best for control of the spring....especially if you change spring rates... for different tracks or conditions....

Or you can just put them on and figure out a shim pack and drive them as normal and then reach in and turn the dials and off you go to the race track....

Morris

PCC 06-28-2004 05:24 PM

Hi Garrett,

I'm looking for some AVO adjustable coil overs (600 lbs min) to fit my Jag rear end (Series 3).

I think they are in the $800 to $900 per pair incl. springs.

If your friend can get them, what sort of price would they be?

Thanks mate.

Morris 06-28-2004 05:32 PM

Coyled

This probably more than you wanted to know about Penske shocks but check it out...

/www.penskeshocks.com/technica.htm

8100 series

Morris

Morris 06-28-2004 05:34 PM

Try this one

www.penskeshocks.com/technica.htm