Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Side Pipes (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/55865-side-pipes.html)

Reptle 07-21-2004 04:06 PM

Side Pipes

I'm first time on so bear with me. I've recently purchased RMC model with 5.0ltr 4 speed. Now i want to bring it up to my expectations. Already transfered rego from WA to Vic with Personalised Plates REPTLE.
I'm looking for side pipes wether to make myself or purchase?
Where to buy or find kits please advise.
Looking forward to hearing from anyone.
And yes i am a member of the Vic Club.

Regards Paul
REPTLE

PCC 07-21-2004 04:29 PM

Hi Paul,

Welcome aboard this merrygoround full of advice, experience, information, and b$%%@$*t

Regards the sidepipes, I'm sure the fabricator boys will chirp in, but to get you going do a search on sidepipes as there is plenty of threads that will provide the info you're looking for.

jasonnichols 07-21-2004 07:53 PM

nice one

I personally know that your number plate will at least annoy someone:p :p :p

Bruce Edwards 07-21-2004 08:00 PM

I have built side pipes for a few cars in the past as well as our newest demo with the 4.6. It is no easy task and can take days to make up that first set of headers & side pipes. Unless you have a true bender like a Ben Pearson and a few years of making exhaust pipes at a muffler shop it is in my opinion not worth all the work. Figure 2 or 3 days at 50hr x 16 or 24 hours plus material wasted on pipes that don't fit, then having to clean the pipes and paint them, coat them or pay to have them chromed and you can get an idea why.

Tony Cram 07-21-2004 08:39 PM

Paul,

I think pretty much all the manufacturers of cobra kits also sell working and fake side pipes. Talk to Kim at RMC WA (Check my photos - mine are RMC working sides with cats), Rob at G Force WA, Don Pilling Snakebite in Qld, DRB sportscars Qld. There are some others and I am sure you could get them locally here in melbourne, I'm sure someone knows somebody. All on the web except RMC and Snakebite you need to phone these guys.

Good luck!

Regards

Tony

Aussie Mike 07-21-2004 08:53 PM

I've been getting quite a few enquiries from people about my side pipes and whether I could build a few sets.

I can supply side pipes from the 4 hole flange just inside the guard. they would come with a coresponding 4 hole flange plate that you can build your headers to.
the rear mount can be supplied but not welded onto the pipe as different chassis will have different pick up points.

My pipes have Hi Flow Catalytic converters inside them and the baffles and Cats can be easily serviced or replaced. They have 2" primaries and 3.5" merge style collectors. The muffler body is 4.5" and splits apart from the collector to let you get at the baffles and cats. The tip is also 3.5"

I can also make them in different lengths to suit streched wheel base cars.

I'm looking at Au$1600 a pair uncoated in steel.

The materials are fairly expensive ie the cats are $250 each. The mandrel bends in different radius to tuck in close to each other are a special order and are between $30-$50 each. the flanges for the muffler body are machined from 5" bright steel billett.

There are a few pictures in my gallery to give you some ideas of what they look like and if you are in Melbourne you're welcome to come and have a look.

Here's a few pics:

Side pipes 1
Collector
Side pipes2

Cheers

NASSTY 07-21-2004 10:16 PM

Mike,

What would your price be for non functional side pipes? $500 less (no cats)?

I haven't looked into side pipes in any detail yet.

Any guess on $$ to chrome them?

After seeing your pipes in person, the pics don't do your work justice :)

Cheers

Aussie Mike 07-21-2004 10:36 PM

There's not just the price of the cats to knock off there's also the labour and materials for the baffles and flanges.

I figure they would end up being about $700-800 the pair, maybe less.

I'm not a big fan of chrome on this type of structure. When they electro plate something they put an electical charge through it and dip it into a tank of electrolyte solution. The charge flowing between the part and an anode of chromium pulls molecules of chromium from the from the anode and adheres them to the surface of the part. This works great on simple shapes but when you get angles and crevices the oposing fields in the sides of the valley don't allow the chromium to get to the root of the valley or crevice. This means you will end up with little or no chrome in the gaps between the header pipes leading to rust down the track.

There are some good plating shops out there that can do a good plating job on this type of stuff but I still worry about the longevity of it.

I think the best bet is polished stainless steel for a shiny chrome finish on this kind of part. I think I could do some cosmetic stainless pipes but I'd have to have a bit of an experement with how to do it.

Cheers

justbetter 07-21-2004 11:44 PM

Not yet though

Not yet though Mr Mikey, you just get and finish yours.

by the way and the GST component was located where !?! %/

Aussie Mike 07-22-2004 12:17 AM

That'll be the Get Stuffed Tax would it?

My wife has an ABN number. I think making Cobra bit's might be an interesting side line for her.

:D

NASSTY 07-22-2004 12:22 AM

Thanks Mike,

We'll talk AFTER the Nats :D

I wouldn't want to be the poor red herring blamed for you not getting to the Nats this year :LOL:

BTW, if ya need help with the ol' GST let me know ;) :eek: :LOL:

Cheers

boxhead 07-22-2004 02:08 AM

Hey there Mike, after we here your pipes and if they are under the required Db level then I will get a set from you either late this year or early next (not till after nationals)
Sounds like a very good price to me, especially after seeing them.

BMK 07-22-2004 05:07 AM

%/

Aussie Mike Pty Ltd Exhaust Manufacturer.

Didn't take long :LOL:

Now there's a way to get the wife working. Spouse is a manufacturer of exhaust systems?

:confused:

I'm sure the A.T.O will believe that one:LOL:

Seriously I think its a great idea Mike, you have all the equipment and obviously the ability so go for it. Well done. Your pipes look great and are well made.

Cheers

Bernie