Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Traditional Cobra colours. (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/70824-traditional-cobra-colours.html)

HSVREDSLED 07-01-2006 11:29 PM

Traditional Cobra colours.

Hi People.

One for the purists.

What are the traditional Cobra Colours and is it generally frowned upon by the Cobra Community to deviate from those colours?.

cheers

Sled

BOURRET 07-01-2006 11:47 PM

The official main colors for Cobra 427 were : Red, Maroon, White, Charcoal, Guardsman Blue, Silver, Ivy Green. (from the book "Shelby American World Registry")
For 289, the options were the same plus "Princess Blue" and Black instead of Charcoal.
I think the most popular was Blue with white stripes.
Mine used to be Viking Blue with white stripes. It is now metalflakes Sapphire (Royal) Blue with metalflkakes Abalone stripes.

Beejay 07-02-2006 01:19 AM

Sweet paint!

I am also thinking of going for a non traditional colour.

Ben

JBCOBRA 07-02-2006 05:09 AM

The first Cobra I ever saw was Ivy Green Metallic, so guess what? My car is Ivy Green. LUV IT!!! Pipes out the back too.
JB :))
I think it was a custom color option back in the day? Is this correct?

stephen low 07-02-2006 06:23 AM

Colours

The first car CS used for promotional purposes and presumably the first ever cobra built was first painted yellow.

Purportedly this car was repeatedly painted a different colour as it travelled from one U.S. motor show to another to create the illusion of the existance of a number of cobras at the time.

- so beauty is in the eye of the owner

- ergo take your pick of colour!!

As for me 'She who must be obeyed' allowed me to get my kit so I must pander to her colour choice - probably Ford Rapid yellow with black stripes

Not too bad a choice - Go yellow and black!

Ciao

400TT 07-02-2006 04:05 PM

Personally it would be very boring if we all painted our Cobra's blue with white stripes, or similiar original colours. (Says the person painting his GT40 blue/white.) :D

So the more variety the better. There are so many great manufacturer colours these days. Also you have all the aftermarket colours. The choice is endless.

One factor to keep in mind, is that if you paint your Cobra a really unusual colour that doesn't really have a broad appeal, it will be more difficult to sell. But offering to re-paint the car to the owners choice of colour on sale, certainly fixes that. :)

double ugly 07-02-2006 04:14 PM

It's all what you want for your cobra. In my case The cobra I have is quite accurate so I went with an original color because it seemed like the right thing to do. Rangoon red is a nice color, but Porsche's Guards red is REALLY red and would have been the other choice.
John

BMK 07-03-2006 07:51 AM

Mmmmm - yes blue Cobras...:MECOOL:

Common as ar*eholes....

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d..._3_0441_1_.jpg